• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A Few general questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Shutter

Steve...

he didn't say what specifically he did, and I don't imagine you'd have ever met him, I guess you were in grade school at the time CG-50 was being built?

...your post brings me back to a story I was gonna tell on a topic that strayed to DI stories. It was about a year after graduation from FT. Knox and I was sitting in the Army burger bar in Grafonwoehr Germany (big muddy base where everyone in USAREUR goes to shoot off the big, noisy bullets and sleep in 100-man cinderblock barracks) at a table by myself, eating a pizza when my senior Drill Sergeant, SFC Dobine, walks up and sits down across from me with one of the biggest smirks I've ever seen on anyone. He was now an M-1 platoon Sergeant out there doing gunnery with another Battalion. Cool thing about that MOS, was that basic was taught by DI's in that actual MOS, increasing the odd's that you'll run into each other later. Regular Bootcamp is taught by NCO's from all over. Case in point, my first unit was B-2/68 Armor in Baumholder, but I was tranferred after 7 months to another unit up north that was really hurting for bodies: B-1/1 Cav in Budingen, real sucky base but we were right outside Frankfurt! Anyway, I'm back out in Graf' again and I'm in the bookstore when I see my Tank Commander/section leader from my first unit SGT. Luciano, the guy who taught me how to really drive one of those pigs, anyway I'm yapping with him and I don't see his new buddy, my old platoon's new top sarge, walking up behind me. Simply one of the most feared men in FT. Knox when I was there: DRILL SERGEANT LACEY. Don't let the name fool you, when I say he looked like SGT. Slaughter I am not exadgerating one MM. The jaw, the mustache, the eyes behind the glasses, the build, the voice, I swear on a stack of Bibles, he could be the mans identical twin!!! He could get in the ring and the wrestlers biggest fans wouldn't know the difference! And he ended up running the Platoon I got transfered out of! I remember a 6'4, 260 lb red faced monster; what did my old buddies have to say about their new PLTSGT though: Why, he's cool as hell, nicest guy you ever met!!! He didn't remember me, but boy I'll never forget him, and he wasn't even my Platoons DI!

Another thing that was neat about our basic, I remember the 5th platoon in our company was a COHORT platoon (I forget what that stood for) and they were all going to Korea together as an active duty platoon, and the DI's would be their Platoon Seargent and another Tank Commander. They'd pick up more NCO's and a LT. when they got there, but they all knew from day 1 that they would be serving together for the next two years.

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 05/08/2001 02:30:55

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm truly amazed at how many people are married going to flight school. The Boat School guys don't count, they haven't seen real tail in 4 years so they marry the first one that says yes. When I went to flight school, all I cared about was flying, drinking and females (not to much has changed but my wife sure gets pissed about the last one). We had one guy in class who was married. Different era I guess. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:I'm truly amazed at how many people are married going to flight school ... Different era I guess.

Guess the parking lot has changed too. The Ensign (or 2nd LT) mobiles have gone from the flashy sports cars to the Jeeps, Volvos, Hondas and Bimmers of today's VT parking lots. I guess Vicki WILL be an exception to this rule with her suped up Camero and vanity liscense plates...

There also seemed (to me at least) to be a pretty high percentage of prior E's or LTs tranferring from other communities in the pipeline. Frumby, was there much of that when you went through, or are "times-a-changing"? Had a LCDR (NFO/TACCO) in my TAC crew for a sim last week mention to us (the pilots) that when he went through selection, he didn't stand a snow ball's chance in hell of getting pilot (he had 20/25), and the Navy then was only taking the best of the best (academically/medically/physically). Whereas now the requirements have changed greatly, and the Navy is hurting for Pilots to fill the training pipeline...

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
Humm,
i am a big sports car fan (vetts ect.)and flying drinking and females are my prorites now...old fashened i guess?

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The Navy and Marine Corps have always tried to bring qualified E's through the ranks. My best friend and best man was a gunners mate on destroyer. The Navy sent him to Cornell and then he became an officer on a destroyer. He received a slot to flight school, flew A-6E's and now is the XO of the C-9 squadron in Atlanta. If anyone is in Atlanta, go to NAF Atlanta and tell "Boca" that Frumby says hi!
When I went through, your eyes had to remain 20/20 UNTIL you got your wings. I saw a guy get dropped halfway through jets because his eyes went to 20/25. Ask some of the guys from my era about "Black Tuesday" in September of 90. The Navy eliminated more then 150 people from flight school because they needed to "cut back." That included people who had finished school and were waiting for their winging. It was a good time to be a Marine. Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Status
Not open for further replies.