• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A disgrace to every Navy vet in the past century

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Poor old steve!!! He'll be devistated.

Ain't that the truth.

My favorite memory was demolishing the old pilot house with a sledgehammer. And getting yelled at by that prick (you know who I'm talking about) because I was too good at said demolition.

Owen

Gentlemen,
If Olympia is sunk or scrapped it will be a tradgedy. It's not that the navy
does not care. They have been quietly shopping her around to other museums
for some time. Right now the navy is fighting two wars and they have a LOT
of sailors to feed. History & Heritage Command in DC wants to save her, but
the funds simply are not there. I'd love to see her at Battleship Park, but we
don't have the funds either. We struggle daily with rust and deteriorating teak.
I hope to be able to walk her decks while she is still open.

Regards,
Owen

Mos

None
Just a thought: if each AD sailor in the U.S. Navy gave about $60 toward saving this ship, it'd approximate around $20 million. As I recall, our government was founded to provide the people protection of rights, security and order by rule of law. The rest of life's concerns are more or less up to us.

jmcquate

Contributor
Sadly, if the role of the “Great White Fleet” in making America a global power is taught at all in High Schools or College, it is done in the context of us becoming an oppressive colonial power.

I hope Mahan is at least required reading at the USNA because it isn't at Harvard.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sadly, if the role of the “Great White Fleet” in making America a global power is taught at all in High Schools or College, it is done in the context of us becoming an oppressive colonial power.

I hope Mahan is at least required reading at the USNA because it isn't at Harvard.
Yeah, because our "colonial" history includes the Philippines and . . . umm . . . wait . . . oh, right, the Philippines. :icon_tong

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor

As much as I find him interesing, why would he be requried reading at Harvard?

Was the voyage of the Great White Fleet really that big a deal in shaping policy? Or was it more an example of our policy of the time?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Was the voyage of the Great White Fleet really that big a deal in shaping policy? Or was it more an example of our policy of the time?
BULLY, EDDIE .... points for having discernment & brains. It was a nearly year & a half cruise in the twilight of TR's time in office. It was basically a chest-beat and demonstration of 'big stick' diplomacy to let everyone know we had 'arrived' ...

The Great White Fleet ... Wiki ... yeah, I know ... but it's good for a 'quick & dirty' if you don't want to 'study' too hard ... but please do, when time permits. The Great White Fleet cruise ... would that we could do the same today w/ the same 'effect' on the international community ... :)

Today ... ??? RADM Mahan must be whirling in his grave ...

trgreatwhitefleetfromph.jpg
usatlanticfleet1907.jpg

Check out the difference between Auckland, NZ and L.A. Harbor (both below) in the early part of the last century ... my, my, my ... guess which is which and which is more 'civilized' -- how times change. :)

fleetweekinauckland1908.jpg
greatwhitefleetarrivesl.jpg

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
If we did a "Magellan" cruise, or Great Gray Fleet, that'd be one deployment I'd sign up for! These days, at least it wouldn't take a year-and-a-half.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Its a damn shame the Gov't wont cough up the money for her to be saved...

Eh, we're too busy swamped back cars, bailing out corporations, and issuing vouchers for digital television set top converter boxes (just a few of my favorites) that we can't afford to save a beautiful piece of history. Sorry, please try again later.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Doesn't being a national historic landmark give it some kind of protective bureaucratic cover? There are houses in my old neighborhood that you couldn't change the lead based paint color on because it was "historically significant" (old, overpriced, and probably dangerous), but we let a genuine piece of gun blazing American history get turned into rusty razor blades? Sad.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Doesn't being a national historic landmark give it some kind of protective bureaucratic cover? There are houses in my old neighborhood that you couldn't change the lead based paint color on because it was "historically significant" (old, overpriced, and probably dangerous), but we let a genuine piece of gun blazing American history get turned into rusty razor blades? Sad.

Indeed, sometimes I think we put the priorities in the wrong order.

jmcquate

Contributor
I took a tour of her a couple of weeks ago. I asked one of the staff about her status. He said that the Navy offered the use of their dry dock in Philly but raising the money was still an issue. It would be over a million just to dredge a channel to get her out of her berth.