• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A Current Predicament

calbear627

Hey gents,

So just got the word back from the OSO and he informed me that I was selected for PLC-C Ground this summer. I'm honored to say the least. Being able to join the usmc ranks, both past and present, has been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember. I just had a few concerns I was hoping some of you could address as *some* of these questions have not been answered in the most straightforward fashion.

First, I am still irresolute to the idea of going ground. I mean no disrespect to those serving in this distinguished MOS, but I feel apt to explore additional options. I was informed by my OSO that if I felt inclined to do so, I would be able to switch to an Air contract IF I completed the necessary requisites. As is the case with a percentage of military recruiters, some will ascribe to past and present instances where switching contracts, MOS's, graduation dates etc. has been kosher. I just need some assurance to further validate this response to ensure that my actions are not in vain.

Second, I will be finishing up school at Cal this Fall and was wondering if anybody had any insight to the opportunities available to them after their contract has expired. To be more specific, I myself have contacted multiple graduate programs and most have professed that work experience plays a huge factor in selection. As stated by multiple academic advisers, military service, and more specifically, holding an officer position for x amount of years, will overshadow anyone in your respective applicant pool. I've heard this from countless sources. Does anyone have any insight on this? Ground vs Air vs Law?

Third, this is a slightly more personal issue. My father was an 05 in the AF. During this last year, I DOR from the AFROTC program. I wanted more, period. I'm sure you understand. I havent informed him about my current scenario and I'm a little worried about how he might take the news. I'm sure he'd be proud of me joining any service, but I'm a little withdrawn. Regardless of his reaction, I will be joining the usmc and enter training this summer. I'm positive some of your parents have reacted negatively to the fact you are joining America's most notorious and "dangerous" branch.

Thank you all for your time. I look forward to hearing from you,

Nick

pharaelga

Constantly lost in the sauce....
My advice would be to get the Air contract NOW!!! Do not rest your hopes on getting it at TBS.... at most there seems to be only 1 or 2 slots for each TBS company. There was 1 pilot and 1 nfo slot in mine.... You can drop your air contract at TBS up to I think the 10th week and still be eligible for MOS selection. Even after that no one will force you to remain in aviation if you find that it is not for you, however be prepared to fall into a high density MOS. (SuppO, LogO, etc) Always remember you are a Marine first and they will stick you anywhere regardless of MOS so be prepared to serve in any capacity. (I'm going to be the company XO for one of the units at Corry Station two weeks out of TBS.... so you never know whats in store for you.)

Can't really comment on opportunities afterwards as I'm just starting myself and my parents were 100% onboard.

OMG... Two BPT statements in my response.... WTF is wrong with me

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Your OSO isnt BSing you, you can switch your contract before you commission provided you meed the prerequisites AND he has the air slots to do it. I have no idea what the current need for air contracts are when it comes to PLC candidates but I cant imagine he would tell you that you could switch when he didnt think it possible. My advice...go to OCS for the summer and go for the contract switch when you return. If it doesnt work out and you feel that you dont want to serve as a ground contract you can always refuse your commission. Your not obligated to anything just by graduating OCS but if you accept a commission as a ground contract and you still want to switch then your going to have to compete for it at TBS.

Your second question I cant really comment on as I am still in, but judging by some of the awesome jobs I see guys get after they get out, it sounds about right.

Third question, when it comes to your parents, at the end of the day your an adult and have to make decisions for yourself. Its something that your parents have to realize at some point. Your going to disappoint them no matter what sooner or later but thats just part of leaving the nest. Take it from someone who had a mother who wasnt on board with the whole military thing. My thoughts, judging by the career path your father chose, Im sure he will be proud of your decision to join no matter what the service is.

Good luck and trust your OSO. He knows the process better than we do.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A Thought or Two...

Third, this is a slightly more personal issue. My father was an 05 in the AF. During this last year, I DOR from the AFROTC program. I wanted more, period. I'm sure you understand. I havent informed him about my current scenario and I'm a little worried about how he might take the news. I'm sure he'd be proud of me joining any service, but I'm a little withdrawn. Regardless of his reaction, I will be joining the usmc and enter training this summer. I'm positive some of your parents have reacted negatively to the fact you are joining America's most notorious and "dangerous" branch.

First, most all Daddys would like their Children to follow in their footsteps; however, as we have told many newbies with this particular 'problem': Hard to do, but you're an adult now and it's your life and YOUR CHOICE, not Daddy's! You don't want to go through life...being that guy, regretting that you pleased Daddy, "but.......hell, I might have even been a Blue Angel or have flown the Lightning II! sob, sob...":brokenhea

Secondly, Mainly in the Enlisted ranks, is the USMC more perilous than the other Services. In fact, Marine Pilots are actually Naval Aviators, same flight training. same Wings, mostly same OP aircraft, same Carrier Ops, etc. We are Brothers-in-Arms wearing different uniforms, but pretty much the same flight suits. That may help ease Daddy's concerns. In the end, he'll want what makes you the most satisfied/happy as most loving Dads do.:icon_hear

Hope this helps some,
BzB :sleep_125

jhfizzle

First off... Your OSO knows the process. Maybe too well. He has his slots to fill too. And its much easier to get guys to raise their hand for a air contract rather than a ground contract. Take it from a guy who's air contract was initially pulled due to the needs of the service at the time. Go for what you want. At the end of the day, you gotta go for whatever blows your skirt up (this applies to your third question as well--I agree with BusyBee604).

Oh and that guy who had his air contract pulled? Well, he just graduated TBS and is headed down to Pensacola to earn his wings as a Naval Aviator. I can't tell you what to do. I can only say what I've experienced. But I held out for the air contract even though the OSO made it apparent that there was a chance to switch into it at TBS (A small chance--pharaelga was right on). In my TBS class there were 3 NFO slots and 1 SNA (student naval aviator) slot.

A couple of my buddies picked up NFO, but it really is a world of difference if your personality is to be the one driving. Either way, its a toss up. I say, ask your OSO if you can take the ASTB (and prep the heck out of this one to max it out) which is a timed test with sections. And make your desire to fly known. From there, its up to you if you want to shoot the gambit at TBS, but its all about performance at that point. Academics, Military Skills, and Leadership. Good luck.

MIDNJAC2

pilot
Do you honestly think that your old man would be pissed if he found out you chose USMC over USAF? I find it pretty hard to believe that any O-5 (retired or otherwise) would be so shallow......that's just JV to take service rivalries that far. I would never want to be affiliated with the Army personally, but if my kid decided to serve with them, I'd be damned proud.....hell, I'd wear the requisite Army sweatshirt that all immediate family members must wear at all times :)