• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A-7 Corsair - Cockpit entrance and Canopy Strap

Ronl

A question for the ex A-7 Corsair Drivers,

When climbing in and out of the cockpit, did you normally step on the seat, or try to avoid doing so. If so, was the main reason to keep the seat clean, or was there another reason?

Also, would anyone have any pictures showing the small pouch that the canopy strap/lanyard was stored in when the canopy was closed. It was located on the starboard canopy rail. I understand it was a bit of a later modification and was often installed at squadron level. I have seen a few pictures of the pouch, but not many. Apparantly, it was only used on Navy A-7 Corsairs.

Thanks.

Ron

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

When climbing in and out of the cockpit, did you normally step on the seat, or try to avoid doing so. If so, was the main reason to keep the seat clean, or was there another reason?
I think we went through this canopy strap exercise re: the A-4 with you about a year ago. I believe RonDebMar flew the A-7 in VA-122, check with him. Don't know of any other Corsair II jocks on AW.;)
BzB

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
I actually flew the A-7 for one tour before spending the rest of my career in the A-4 (kind of backward...but that's another story). Like BzB stated, this was discussed awhile back concerning the A-4. My comments in that thread stand the same for this thread.

brownshoe

Contributor
I think we went through this canopy strap exercise re: the A-4 with you about a year ago. I believe RonDebMar flew the A-7 in VA-122, check with him. Don't know of any other Corsair II jocks on AW.;)
BzB

I was just on the phone with Ron. When we were finishing our conversation I mentioned this thread, he said he'd post later today. He chuckled a bit too, he remembers the A-4 thread. (He's not gonna be in a good mood either... he was out gathering leaves. :D)

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor

Also, would anyone have any pictures showing the small pouch that the canopy strap/lanyard was stored in when the canopy was closed. It was located on the starboard canopy rail. I understand it was a bit of a later modification and was often installed at squadron level. I have seen a few pictures of the pouch, but not many. Apparantly, it was only used on Navy A-7 Corsairs.

Thanks.

Ron

Just looked through my squadron/signal publication # 22 (no longer in print (LOL!!) ...here's what I found:

Firstly, I flew the first A7As delivered out of Dallas to the West Coast RAG ...VA-122 (Corsair College)...and do NOT recall a canopy strap as mentioned. Flew the aircraft as IP from Feb 1967 to May 1968. The pub mentioned above has dozens of pics of the A7. It appears in these pics that some later A7A's might've had the starboard side canopy strap. All of the USN A7E pics DID show the strap; the USAF version (A7D) did not show the strap. Strap may have had something to do with the 30 kt winds across the flight deck. Never got to the ship ...USN wouldn't allow me ...had almost five hundred traps by then...and letter of resignation already submitted ...LOL!! (No more traps for you, son!)

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Can't speak to the A-7 specifically, but stepping on an ejection seat is considered to be poor form. It wears the cushion, and can damage the beacon antenna that runs underneath.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can't speak to the A-7 specifically, but stepping on an ejection seat is considered to be poor form. It wears the cushion, and can damage the beacon antenna that runs underneath.
Get into the front seat of the Prowler sometime.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Remembered the A-4 thread and had to check the date on the first post to make sure this wasn't the same one...

HuggyU2

None
but stepping on an ejection seat is considered to be poor form.
Maybe in your experience, yes.
I also remember on my Viper ride that it was a no-no to step on the seat.

However, I currently fly 2 ejection-seat aircraft (plus 2 more civilian warbird jets on occasion), and we step on the seat in all of them. It's not "bad form" here, nor does it damage anything.