• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

9MM pistol qualifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

ET1.Colon

USMC-2-USN said:
Even though OCS got shortened to 12 weeks we still get to qualify on the 9mm for a ribbon (if applicable). It is the monday of the 5th week right after RLP inspection. Out of 40 candidates 13 qualified with 3 being sharpshooter and zero expert. The pistols are jacked!! ...or maybe it is lack of sleep. You get two chances to qualify shooting 30 rounds at a human size target from 25 yds. Practice if you have time...only having one ribbon looks stupid!

Just one target to qualify 9mm? That doesn't sound too bad. I qualified differently. I had to shoot at 3yds, 7yds, 15yds, and 25 yds. For the 3yds and 7 yds, had to do a transition from strong hand to weak hand. Couple of other things as well. Only got qualified. Missed sharp shooter by 1 friggin' bullet! :icon_rage

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
If you haven't shot a pistol before then it will likely be tough to do anything but qualify. However, if you have shot a pistol before and have an idea of what is going on then you should do fine. Remember to listen to the range master, he knows what he is doing. Also, take your time. Most people finish the firing with 30 seconds left, take your time shooting. After all, no one is shooting back.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
Go and talk to the guys running the range. Usually they (people who work ranges, not necessarily that one) can slide people in on days groups come to qualify. If they say no, try to find the armory on base and ask them. They will know where you can go and get in for sure. Just ask around and show a real interest in the shooting, not the ribbon, and someone will help you out.

/GM2

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Yeah, I remember that qualify day. It was funny because a female in our OCS class NEVER has even picked up a handgun before, and she got Sharpshooter!!!!! Funny as hell, because her score was even higher than the Seal in our class. She was going CEC too to top it off. Don't ask me..........

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
When I was at SDVT-2, Special Warfare Gru 2 had a rifle and pistol team. 4 of the 6 guys were not SEALs. There were 2 divers (myself included), 2 techs (what we call non-diver/SEAL types that are stationed at the teams, shoe just wasn't acceptable to them for some reason), and 2 SEALs (1 of which was an alternate/spotter). The best shooter on the team was a tech. SEAL does not equal great shot, they just get to shoot a lot so they are well trained.

BTW- NO sniper qualed guys were on the team. Why? Because all shooting, including the 500yd line, was done open sites with no bi-pod. Those comps were a BLAST!

twidget

Deskaholic
In our class we had one person get Expert. A Crypto guy who claims to have never fired a gun before in his life! (no, it wasn't me)

ET1.Colon: I did that course before in San Diego. I think they called it the Combat Course or something. It was pretty cool. We shot strong hand, weak hand, kneeling, and laying down. All at the ranges you mentioned. Luckily we didn't do it for ribbons, just for fun/training.

ET1.Colon

twidget said:
In our class we had one person get Expert. A Crypto guy who claims to have never fired a gun before in his life! (no, it wasn't me)

ET1.Colon: I did that course before in San Diego. I think they called it the Combat Course or something. It was pretty cool. We shot strong hand, weak hand, kneeling, and laying down. All at the ranges you mentioned. Luckily we didn't do it for ribbons, just for fun/training.

Nice! We also got to do a night shoot (with welders goggles), qualifiy the M-500 shotty, and ran an obstacle course to simulate shooting in close quarters. The qualifying on that course I said before was pretty hard. Ah well, at elast I got a ribbon. :icon_tong

Status
Not open for further replies.