• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

9/11 GI Bill Question

gohokies2005

Good morning all,
I was wondering if there are any GI bill experts out there, or someone who has been in my situation.
I received my commission in May 2005 via a 4 year NROTC scholarship. My initial obligation was 7 (or maybe 8) years beyond the time it took for me to earn my wings.
About halfway through flight school (after approximately 1.5 years), I was medically disqualified, and later redesignated.
Had I not been going through flight school and gone the SWO/other line officer route, my initial obligation would have been four years.
When am I eligible for full GI Bill benefits? Once medically disqualified, would my obligation revert back to 4 years from time of commissioning or when I was officially redesignated? I know the big number for officers is 3 years beyond commitment, but I am not sure how that works for medical attrites. I will be approaching my 7 year point in the Navy next spring and am considering various options, so any help would be appreciated.

IrishNavy05

pilot
Contributor
GI Bill doesn't have anything to do with your service obligation, but rather time served. You'll be eligible for full benefits at 36 months, no matter what you signed up for (there are issues I believe if you get a dishonorable discharge, but general, medical, and above should be fine).

http://www.gibill.va.gov/ch33_eligibility_estimator/estimator.html

Not true. ROTC/Naval Academy graduates are eligible for Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits, but only after they have fulfilled their ROTC active duty obligation. This means most ROTC/Naval Academy after FOUR years, not the eight years after wings that aviators incur. To the initial question, my guess would be that since it sounds like you earned your wings, you owe 7 (or 8) years after wings. But your initial service obligation was only four years, and began when you graduated in May 2005. Your clock for the GI bill began on June 1st, 2009, meaning you currently have about 80% benefits.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
Not true. ROTC/Naval Academy graduates are eligible for Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits, but only after they have fulfilled their ROTC active duty obligation. This means most ROTC/Naval Academy after FOUR years, not the eight years after wings that aviators incur. To the initial question, my guess would be that since it sounds like you earned your wings, you owe 7 (or 8) years after wings. But your initial service obligation was only four years, and began when you graduated in May 2005. Your clock for the GI bill began on June 1st, 2009, meaning you currently have about 80% benefits.

You are onto something there with the term of service. Your term of service no matter the obligation length must be honorable upon discharge. However, you are eligible if serving on active duty for more than 90 days after Sep 10, 2001. that rate is 40%. Then if you serve 30 days and are medically discharged after that point you get 100%. If you serve at least 36 months and are honorably discharged then you receive 100% as well. So I'm guessing if you don't serve your obligation and get an other than honorable discharge then you are ineligible for benefits.

the link thingy:
http://www.gibill.va.gov/documents/pamphlets/ch33_pamphlet.pdf

you probably could have solved this one with a .001 second google search. You best bet for any questions is the VA rep at your school.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
However, you are eligible if serving on active duty for more than 90 days after Sep 10, 2001. that rate is 40%. Then if you serve 30 days and are medically discharged after that point you get 100%. If you serve at least 36 months and are honorably discharged then you receive 100% as well.

The linked pamphlet is bare-bones information only. Service academy and ROTC graduates must fulfill their minimum service obligation before accumulating time that qualifies them for Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
To the initial question, my guess would be that since it sounds like you earned your wings, you owe 7 (or 8) years after wings.

I think it will end up being superfluous... but he said he attrited half way through flight school... No wings.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
This means most ROTC/Naval Academy after FOUR years, not the eight years after wings that aviators incur.

Not to nit-pick, but USNA is a five-year active obligation, and ROTC recently went that route. Basically, if you're at 7, you may as well do 8 to be eligible for 100% of benefits. There's not much difference between 0.8*$17,500 and $17,500, but the kicker is that the Yellow Ribbon program is only available to those that are eligible for 100% benefits, and at a lot of schools, that means a full ride.

BigRed389

None
Good morning all,
I was wondering if there are any GI bill experts out there, or someone who has been in my situation.
I received my commission in May 2005 via a 4 year NROTC scholarship. My initial obligation was 7 (or maybe 8) years beyond the time it took for me to earn my wings.
About halfway through flight school (after approximately 1.5 years), I was medically disqualified, and later redesignated.
Had I not been going through flight school and gone the SWO/other line officer route, my initial obligation would have been four years.
When am I eligible for full GI Bill benefits? Once medically disqualified, would my obligation revert back to 4 years from time of commissioning or when I was officially redesignated? I know the big number for officers is 3 years beyond commitment, but I am not sure how that works for medical attrites. I will be approaching my 7 year point in the Navy next spring and am considering various options, so any help would be appreciated.

Buddy of mine just got out in a similar situation to you (got bored in flight school so redesignated before winging, had NROTC obligation).

He got out at 6 years commissioned service, he'll be going to school next academic year with 2 years worth of GI Bill benefits.
And obviously, dropping from flight school kicked his obligation back to the ROTC 4 years.

gohokies2005

Buddy of mine just got out in a similar situation to you (got bored in flight school so redesignated before winging, had NROTC obligation).

He got out at 6 years commissioned service, he'll be going to school next academic year with 2 years worth of GI Bill benefits.
And obviously, dropping from flight school kicked his obligation back to the ROTC 4 years.

Thanks for all the input guys, GI Bill stuff is as clear as mud, only made more difficult under strange circumstances.
I did not get my wings and will eventually be discharged under honorable conditions (I still plan on serving for about another year). I just didn't know when or if my obligation was reset... I guess there isn't some formal notice they give you. Hopefully I have a similar situation as this guy's friend.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
You incur no additional obligation until you are designated as a NA/NFO. You sign a form saying that you agree to serve a total of 8 years after your winging, along with some other verbage. Until then, your commitment is determined at your commissioning.