• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

9/11/2001 What were you doing?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Of those in IP, Jonas was a former Grey Knight whom I first met doing the SLAM FIT for his squadron with the VP-30 VTU.
Capt. Larry Gretzfred was another former Grey Knight (an early enlisted tour and later his DH tour) and former VP-40 CO that was also killed at the Pentagon. I met him VP-30 when we were both on our way to VP-46. He became my mentor in the squadron and was one hell of an officer and friend.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Good lord, I feel old after reading the last three pages!

On USS Enterprise w/ VF-41, off the Coast of Yemen on the way home. Rumors abounded of no more night flying, and port calls in Cape Town and RIO on the way home (morale was pretty good!). First day of cold water in the showers in a few months after our stint in the gulf in the summer time. In CAG OPS doing head paddles stuff on no fly day when second plane hit... ship turned on its side in quick U-turn... rumors then rampant about coming home after new years.

It was safer dropping bombs in Afghanistan than in the Fallon Ranges (less planes zipping to and fro to hit, the transit was a bit longer tho), with Air Medal points to boot!

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
I was at NAS Pensacola that day, for a seminar with other NR officer recruiters from my command. The previous day I had flown from Portland, Maine to Reagan National via commercial air, and then met most of my group at Andrews AFB where we boarded a C-20 flown by one of the Andrews VR squadrons for the flight to KNPA. Return home later in the week was supposed to be the reverse of that process.

At NAS Pensacola, we were staying in what was then brand-new visitors housing at NATTC. I was amazed at the new NATTC campus, as last time I was in Pensacola that whole area had still been Chevalier Field and NARF. On the morning of the 11th, my group of mostly non-aviation officers gathered in the lobby of the Q to get ready to take our vans over to NASC Building 633, where we were scheduled to convene that day at 0800 (0900 EDT) for our first meeting. There was a big screen TV in the lobby that was tuned to one of the network morning shows, and suddenly one of my colleagues pointed out that a plane had hit one of the WTC towers. Noticing the CAVU conditions, I said aloud to no one in particular that there was no way that was an accident. Several minutes later we were on the way to our meeting.

When we got to Building 633, I found a lounge on the first deck that had vending machines, and a TV mounted on the wall. There was a gaggle of API students gathered around, and it was then that I learned that the second WTC tower had been hit. For most of the rest of the morning, I was in an API classroom, watching ABC News on an overhead projector, along with several of my colleagues and various NASC staff. Later on, we were informed that NAS Pensacola had gone to an increased THREATCON. A station H-3 flew perimeter patrols around the base the rest of the day, the back gate was temporarily closed, and the line of cars trying to get through the front gate stretched across the bridge and down Navy Boulevard.

We watched the president’s speech that night while having dinner at McGuire’s. The place was very subdued. I don’t remember how much work we got done at our seminar, but probably not much. Everyone was worried about other stuff, including their families back home and how to get there. Our VR ride had obviously been retasked, and Pensacola Regional was shut down. Most of my group ended up getting one way rentals for a drive north, but several of us who had the longest distance to travel, myself included, held out for an airline flight. We had heard that flights would start up on Thursday, so we spent most of that afternoon and evening at Pensacola Regional, to no avail. I finally was lucky enough to get a seat on a flight on Friday.

I later learned that AW1 Joseph “Boats” Pycior, the Sensor 1 from my first deployment crew (VP-8, CAC 12), was killed in the CNO operations center at the Pentagon. Boats had just recently put in his retirement papers. He left a wife and two sons. John Works, a good college friend and fraternity brother, was a bond trader on the 89th floor of WTC tower two. He had quit his job in the WTC after the 1993 truck bombing, but had just recently returned. He left a wife and young daughter. RIP, Boats and JW.

Shpion1

Contributor
Capt. Larry Gretzfred was another former Grey Knight

HAL, worked with CAPT Getzfred, Scott Lamana, Pat Dunn and the others in the OPS Center on a regular basis due to the support we provided plus we briefed the N3/N5 and others on a daily basis before going up to see CNO et al. Didn't know them as well as others I've been stationed or worked with before. Although a little "Crotchety", CAPT Getzfred knew his stuff, compared with some of the others. Good guy.

Quick story about the Grey Knights, out of all the squadrons I saw with the SLAM FIT team, they were among the sharpest. And only one we did strike planning practice after hours with refreshing beverages...They also had a former A-6 BN (forget his name) who was awesome and really got the Crew into the NSAWC strikeplanning mindset vs just going through the motions. Great bunch of guys, and Jonas "Tiny" was as close to his crews and trusted by them as I've ever seen an Intel guy be.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
I had just finished making reservations to be in New York City on the morning of the 18th and went back to editing the Bill of Materials on some blueprints, when the first plane hit. We thought it was a small plane. We turned on the television in time to see the second plane hit. Then we heard about a plane headed for Pittsburgh and that people were evacuating downtown Pittsburgh. We decided to stay where we were until things settled down. That was about the time that the towers collapsed. After that I asked my boss what I should be working on now? The prints I was editing were for a mall that ran between the WTC towers. The reservationd that I had made were for us to be at the Top of the World restraunt at 9:00 Tuesday September 18th for a meeting. One thing I'll never forget was being the only car in sight on the Highland Park Bridge at rush hour, hearing a roar and seeing two F-15s flying up the river.