• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

88 Pathfinder

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
I had an 89 Pathfinder, freakin bulletproof but it was a manual. I would be leaning toward the torque converter as a plausible solution, the tranny seems confused and unless you were towing something they dont just shit the bed without a little heads up. You got fire, air and fuel which leaves you with logic (early computer stuff in the late 80's). Transfer case sounds okay since it wasn't relevant prior to your problem. Check your connections and even a fuse could be your problem.. Somewhere's along the 10/15 amp regime. After that, I would break out the manual, order/pull the part and you should be 5.0

+1 follow this advice

it's always such a great feeling to find that all your electrical woes are the result of a fuse

not saying that it is in your case, but you wont know until you check.

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
Yeah, the first thing I did was check the fuses because the change was so abrupt I figured it would be something like that, but they all appear to be in working order.

I appreciate all the suggestions, guys. It's just going to be a matter of trouble shooting until I find the issue. Thanks for the help.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Yeah, the first thing I did was check the fuses because the change was so abrupt I figured it would be something like that, but they all appear to be in working order.

I appreciate all the suggestions, guys. It's just going to be a matter of trouble shooting until I find the issue. Thanks for the help.

My first suggestion is looking up a Pathfinder forum and asking your question there.

I'm part of BKO and XJ forums and they help immensely in trouble-shooting when you don't have a clue.

If you need a test light or multimeter I've got one.

Also if you need a good set of tools, I've got those too.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I had an 87 Pathfinder, fun ride. Didn't look great but it ran like a friggin champ and could take a beating.

Have you checked the kickdown shifter linkage? Those can come loose and it's possible the linkage is simply not shifting the transmission far enough, or it's caught in between and messing with the torque converter. Other than that, I'd agree with the rest and say it sounds like your torque converter is on the fritz.

Oh, and it's simple to overlook, but did you check the tranny fluid? Some are finicky and won't work at all if there isn't enough fluid in it.

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
Well, I bought a new battery for it. And yes it is throwing codes... AND... now it won't idle by itself. Checked out a pathfinder forum and no one had any ideas...

so >.<

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
Have you checked this? Now with your idle control problem, I'm wondering if something hasn't gone haywire in your ECU, or your at a single component failure (One part may failure may be causing both symptoms). I dont know if you can flash it or not (on newer cars you can)... Maybe an idle speed valve? Good luck

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showtopic=21

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
BAH!!!! took off the enormous air filter and found that the MAF sensor had become unattached.

SO... now it idles, but still no power when I put it in gear. Disconnected the battery to reset everything. Checked codes again. Now it says code 55 which means "no malfunction."

Any more ideas?

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
Well, without seeing it I'm kinda at a loss. When you initially said it bogged down, does it bog down like you are trying to start a manual off in 6th gear or does it bog down like a torque bog down in 4-Low? If it's the 6th gear case, your automatic transmission is not being very 'Automatic', and has decided to be remain engaged with the automatic clutch at that last high gear.

Also, that "rusted bucket thing" with all the vacuum hoses usually has nothing to do with mechanical performance, i.e. it's emissions related. But, to be safe I would check them as being clean/not clogged, who knows maybe the ECU uses some sort of reference air for the fuel injectors when in "D"..

Lastly, as a long shot, with the car parked cycle through all your gears. Does Reverse work?, 1, 2 etc. If those are screwing up too then I DONT think it would be a transmission, I.e, on a busted tranny you usually have one gear that will work, even though it's toast..

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
Weird, since it recognizes "Park". Then it's gotta be something with your linkage when you select the gear. Prolly a 10 dollar part, but the labor, ugh. Since it's not going anywhere, I'd start in the cabin and rip down the center console. It's hard to think that your tranny may be shot, but minus a couple levers that control the transmission splines, that could be what your looking at. Good luck, annnnd, I could be 180 out

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
what do you think it's worth as is? When it runs, the four wheel drive works great. There is a little rust on the top where the luggage rack attaches. I'm planning on selling my motorcycle to buy a jeep so I don't need to keep it. And I really don't want to spend a ton of money fixing it.

It just seems like it's something REALLY REALLY simple that I'm just not getting.

Is there any chance it is just a bad relay or something similar?

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
what do you think it's worth as is? When it runs, the four wheel drive works great. There is a little rust on the top where the luggage rack attaches. I'm planning on selling my motorcycle to buy a JEEP so I don't need to keep it. And I really don't want to spend a ton of money fixing it.

It just seems like it's something REALLY REALLY simple that I'm just not getting.

Is there any chance it is just a bad relay or something similar?

+1 Turn it in to a trail rig!