• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

8 SEPT 2007 OCS Class

kevoGTO

SNA select OCS 8Sept07, ProRec SNA 26Jan09
Got a letter today telling me I will be in the 8 SEPT 2007 OCS class in Newport. Yeah!

Anyone else going along for the ride?

McCPilot

SNA Final Select
Haven't got my final select yet but I'm hoping for a class around that date. Physical went in Friday so should hear something this week. I should get a class date fairly soon after I'm PQ'd right?

kevoGTO

SNA select OCS 8Sept07, ProRec SNA 26Jan09
where are yall driving in from? I've got a 1300 mile trek from Memphis, so I'm gonna leave here Sept 4th. When are yall gonna leave? When do we check in?

FSF17

pilot
I'm coming from just south of Louisville... I'll probably leave on the 5th or 6th. I can make it in one long drive, but my car's a piece o' crap... so I might need a day or two to find another way to get to RI if it does break down.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
My orders are for NET 8 Sept, NLT 9 Sept. I'll be driving up on the 8th, it's only about 4 hours from where I'm at so it isn't too bad.

McCPilot

SNA Final Select
I'll be driving from Texas. Anyone else driving from somewhere in the West? It's going to be quite a long drive. I guess it could be worse... I feel bad for anyone driving from Cali.

blackjack_rj

Alpha PHlyer
I'll be driving from Texas. Anyone else driving from somewhere in the West? It's going to be quite a long drive. I guess it could be worse... I feel bad for anyone driving from Cali.

I actually just left Newport and drove down to Texas. It wasn't as bad of a drive as I thought, but then again, I'm used to driving from Michigan to Texas every summer. We did have one girl in my NSI class (STA-21) that drove FROM Cali, then drove BACK to Cali after we graduated from Newport, so it has been done. Can't say I would want that trip one-way, let alone two way. Besides, I love my car too much to do that to it, lol. Good luck to y'all in Newport. Nice town! Not in a hurry to go back though.

McCPilot

SNA Final Select
I'm sure OCS isn't the best way to remember Rhode Island... glad to hear the drive isn't bad. I'm used to flying everywhere though so a couple thousand mile drive might be an eye-opener for me :-/ Not a problem, I'm looking forward to everything cause it's just a huge adventure! Positive it's gonna to be a blast.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Just an FYI, I work near Newark, NJ and fight traffic for 2 hours a day in NJ.
For those of you mapquesting or googling directions from the South and West, it'll probably tell you to take the NJ Turnpike to I-80 across the George Washington Bridge and then get back on I-95.
DO NOT DO THAT.
The GWB is famous for traffic and then it spits you into Manhattan then the Bronx. This will add an hour to your drive if you are lucky even if you try it on weird hours. If you hit construction, accident or if the traffic gods just hate you, which is very likely add another 3 or 4.

Instead of doing that and you're coming from the South, still take the NJ Turnpike, but get off at exit 11 for the NJ Parkway. Take that North, cross into NY state and get on I-287 East. Follow signs for the Tappen Zee Bridge. After crossing the bridge stay on I-287 till you hit the New England Thruway (I-95) and continue from there with the normal directions.

If you're coming from the West on I-78 or I-80, just take I-287 North into NY instead of messing with the Parkway. The further you can stay away from NYC the better.

Here's what I mean, I just picked a town in South Jersey and Newport and threw it in Google. Check out the traffic if you don't believe me :icon_tong. Hope it helps and feel free to PM me if you want.