• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

737 runs off runway at Midway Chicago

vanity

Zoomie
I'll start by saying there isn't a whole lot of information available as of yet. But from what I heard the runway wasn't even plowed and visibility was almost nonexistent. My question is, if your the capatin of that 737 why are you trying to land at that airport and not divert to an airport with better weather?

KBayDog

Mefesto said:
KMDW 090137Z 16005KT 1/4SM +SN FZFG VV002 M04/M05 A3005 RMK AO2 R31C/3000FT P0000 $

They ran one off a runway and into a gas station in Van Nuys (I think it was there) a few years ago... shit happens.

SW 1445 20000305

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
KMDW 090137Z 16005KT 1/4SM +SN FZFG VV002 M04/M05 A3005 RMK AO2 R31C/3000FT P0000 $

They ran one off a runway and into a gas station in Van Nuys (I think it was there) a few years ago... shit happens.

That is an UGLY METAR. Good lord.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Unconfirmed rumor:

Said on the news here that the gear may have collapsed prior to running off the runway.

Article says braking condition described as fair to good? Sure looks it ...

ZoomByU

Woo Woo
a six year old girl that was in one of the cars died. Said on the news it was the first fatality in a southwest accident since they started operation.
edit: now this article says it was a boy but 10pm news said it was a girl. who knows maybe no one has died.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Short runway at Midway --- I always hated it, even in daylight, CAVU conditions .... but bring on near zero conditions, add the pressure of "shutting down" your company's hub with a divert, add poor/limited braking, make just a small mistake or two in airspeed control or landing spot on the runway .... and the question becomes ..... "do you feel lucky"???

How about going to O'Hare ??? Ooooops, That's right --- it's not the company hub. This thing will take a year to come to the bottom line .... but still, it's always pilot judgement. Make sure you use .... yours.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Short runway at Midway --- I always hated it, even in daylight, CAVU conditions .... but bring on near zero conditions, add the pressure of "shutting down" your company's hub with a divert, add poor/limited braking, make just a small mistake or two in airspeed control or landing spot on the runway .... and the question becomes ..... "do you feel lucky"???

How about going to O'Hare ??? Ooooops, That's right --- it's not the company hub. This thing will take a year to come to the bottom line .... but still, it's always pilot judgement. Make sure you use .... yours.
Media is saying that the FDR indicated a 7-10 knot tailwind during landing - certainly not ideal for short runway/braking issues situation like snow. I wouldn't have landed my Prowler there under those conditions, even if they had gear.

Brett

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
There was a diagram of the airport in USA Today yesterday.

Zero overrun. Runway ruuns diagonally across the airport and the roads outside it are right up to the edge.

Example of the perils of encroachment.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I think it's going to come down to the plane was landed slighly long (maybe a dot high on ILS? that would surely be enough) along with horrible breaking conditions on the remaining runway. I bet the Captain had a splitr second to make the decion to either commit to stopping the aircraft or immediatly going around. Tough call either way. No one was really at fault and everyone was at fault. SWA, FAA, Midway airport operations, etc. They'll be splitting hairs here.

The comment "I would never land my Prowler in those conditions" triggered another thought - and that's as militrary aviators (and especially Navy/USMC) we are shielded from the realities of consistent flying in crappy-marginal weather conditions. A fact I didn't fully realize until I was flying 135. It's a different world.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Another problem that has not been mentioned: Operating jets from old, downtown airports.

Ever since the "birth" of SWA and the plethora of similar low-cost carriers (LCC) operating from downtown, close-in, encroached, short runway airfields designed in the propeller era .... landing in anything other that CAVU WX on fields such as Midway has been problematical. These accidents are bound to happen. It's amazing that more haven't ....

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
The comment "I would never land my Prowler in those conditions" triggered another thought - and that's as militrary aviators (and especially Navy/USMC) we are shielded from the realities of consistent flying in crappy-marginal weather conditions. A fact I didn't fully realize until I was flying 135. It's a different world.

Is this statement based on the fact we have absolute weather mins, so the decision is taken out of our hands? If so, that sounds like a valid arugument on paper, but not in practice. I'm sure there are similar instances on the carrier, but I know for a fact (as do you, I'm sure) that there are times when you're coming to the back of the boat and it's less than mins, but there's no where else to go. Even getting back to a field (whatever you fly) because you don't want to divert or don't have the gas. Mins certainly get pushed. However, in that case, there's no way around the fact that as the guy who signed for it, you screwed up (didn't fuel plan, weather plan, or just blew off the rules). I'm assuming that's what you were referring to.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Another problem that has not been mentioned: Operating jets from old, downtown airports.

Ever since the "birth" of SWA and the plethora of similar low-cost carriers (LCC) operating from downtown, close-in, encroached, short runway airfields designed in the propeller era .... landing in anything other that CAVU WX on fields such as Midway has been problematical. These accidents are bound to happen. It's amazing that more haven't ....
Wouldn't it be nice if this unfortunate event reshaped the debate on the Wright Amendment? This Midway occurance is precisely one of the events that the Dallas city fathers were trying to avoid when they tried to close Love Field entirely on the construcion of DFW. The arguement was almost exactly as A4s outlines. No SWA bashing here. They are a great buch of aviators. But the margins they have to deal with at many of their airports are minimal. It is just as much so at Love as Midway. The last thing Love needs is more operations, regardless of what state they are flying into.