• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

5.56 Advice Needed

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Here is a good article of why NOT to buy a piston AR: Why NOT a Piston-Operated AR-15?. Granted it is another man's opinion, but it he does make good points. The author is the gentleman who developed the M4 chart.

I know Rob S. is considered one of the poobahs of the AR internet, but a lot of his issues have been dubunked or don't necessarily apply to a range commando. I've seen the article before and I'm not sure how old it is. Carrier tilt seems to have been taken care of with the quality kits (LWRC, LMT with some minor tilt initially, and Adams Arms with it's BC and "skis"). Paul Santos and "Quib" (two other poobahs of the 'net) did some articles online at WeaponEvolution, one w/ a LMT conversion and the other with a Spike's Piston (w/ Adams Arms) and they both loved them and didn't find them any heavier (other than an ounce or two). Accuracy was on par with a DI gun, as well, which is another often-touted "bad" thing about Piston guns.

Rob's other argument is that it's polishing a turd and if the parts aren't good to begin with, it's not helping. Well, no duh. That's true no matter what you add. I've always been one to spend more money on initial quality to make something last than buy the cheaper one which may have its issues sooner (I'm talking any product, not guns). So if I build a piston gun, it's going to start w/ a decent setup and then have a well-reviewed piston, rather than buy a cheapo Gun MegaMart M4 and then add the cheapest piston setup.

As it happens, I'm thinking about going down this route with a SBR and an Adams Arms kit. I'm not sold on the idea yet, but I'm getting there. I have plenty of time to figure it out, though, once I send off paperwork to the ATF.

Has anyone had a flash supressor pinned/welded by Spikes to be AWB legal?
I am considering a rifle from them and would like to figure out what this looks like.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
What AWB? Provided you're in a location that doesn't have other legislation on file, the Assault Weapons Ban expired during Dubbya's administration. Barrel length must meet the minimum of 16", per federal restrictions, and can be attained via two main methods. The method that I think you're asking about is a 1.5" or greater flash suppressor/muzzle device permanently affixed to a 14.5" barrel. The other method is using a barrel that's 16" or longer, using a muzzle device if you desire to.

Then there's the SBR route, which is a whole other can of worms.

Your location says Columbus, OH. Wasn't that the city in OH that had some laws that seriously differed from state laws, and they were overturned?

ETA: My ARs are either 16" barrels on the carbine profiles, or 20" on the rifle profiles. I don't own any SBRs as of yet, mainly because I'm too cheap and lazy to undergo the process...yet.

Unless there is a May board (looking pretty unlikely) and I get picked up I will be moving to Connecticut in July for a job. CT has the "pick one feature" law in place, with flash supressors being on the list.

I wanted to buy a rifle around graduation time and figure that I will get a compliant one to take to CT, and can always replace the barrel later if I move out of state.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Ah, there you go then. That explains it. What are your other options for features to choose from? I ask only out of my own ignorance of CT laws, and the possibility that you could be getting--pun intended--more bang for your buck with another feature.

Spike's has, IMO, a decent reputation. Folks over at ar15.com seem to obsess over those rifles a bit, while those at m4carbine.net tend to view them as alright, but not technically adherent to the TDP for .gov/.mil rifles. Having shot one or two owned by friends, I think that you could definitely do worse.

Good luck with CT, but it's not exactly a firearm friendly place.

The law bans "Assault Rifles" which are defined, among other things, as:
(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:
(i) A folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) A bayonet mount;
(iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) A grenade launcher; or

AR's have the pistol grip so I would have to have a barrel that cannot accept a flash suppressor.

Roger that about CT, at least it isnt NY or NJ though. It is effectively a "shall issue" state for CCW permits and a high-cap mag ban was just dropped from the state legislature.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
The law bans "Assault Rifles" which are defined, among other things, as:
(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:
(i) A folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) A bayonet mount;
(iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) A grenade launcher; or

AR's have the pistol grip so I would have to have a barrel that cannot accept a flash suppressor.

Roger that about CT, at least it isnt NY or NJ though. It is effectively a "shall issue" state for CCW permits and a high-cap mag ban was just dropped from the state legislature.

If you get a standard front sight there goes the bayonet mount? Wonder how that works....
The crappy part about not having a flash suppressor is that it protects the crown of the muzzle, which can really affect accuracy if nicked or scratched. That stinks, I'd just buy the stupid thing out of state,get what you want and provide some kind of official document (notarized) along with a copy of your ID that shows your old residence on it (you used to live in another state). What a dumb law, speaking of does CT consider the property inside your vehicle an extension of your home or personal property?

Edit: nevermind....just looked at the CT laws, don't do what I stated, it's a felony...ouch!
the difference in gun laws from state to state is insane

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I mentioned in another read that I'm considering moving to Kentucky for a job. I had a phone interview with El Jeffe of the site yesterday, and he kept playing up the gun laws there. Apparently he's a fellow USPSA and IDPA shooter, and took pride in the fact that the Brady Campaign ranks KY second to last in gun control.

Still sure you want to move to CT?

Not having a flash suppressor isn't necessarily the end of the world (even if the law is fucking retarded), and you can get a barrel with a recessed crown to help protect things. I know it's not the ideal scenario, but given the state laws...

I got an entry level job as an engineer there so I am pretty sure it is happening, but a last minute switch to Newport, RI would certainly be cool with me.

You would probably hate KY. Easy gun laws, no liquor tax, and eventually you'll have to go to the Derby. Miserable.

One good thing; you would be close to Cincinnati and God's gift to this green earth, Skyline Chili.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
"Ohio" and specifically "Cleveland" are filthy, dirty words where I'm from. So I doubt I will be visiting that cesspool anytime soon. ;)

I would say that the Derby is a forgone conclusion if I move there. My father-in-law owns racehorses in Puerto Rico, and is obsessed with all things racing. I've been practicing sipping bourbon with my pinkie extended in anticipation.

The HR manager who's recruiting me for the KY job is actually a huge bourbon fan, and now has two distillery tours lined up for my site visit next week.