• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

46 selections

uaferg

Does anyone know the amount of 46 slots that have typically been available? I have read here that they are standing the squadrons down and was just wondering how that will affect selections. It will probably be a year until I select and was just wondering if slots will be few and far between by then. Also, when they stand a 46 sqd down, how are they training everyone on the v-22. Do they send everyone to the rag at once or what? Thanks in advance.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Does anyone know the amount of 46 slots that have typically been available? I have read here that they are standing the squadrons down and was just wondering how that will affect selections. It will probably be a year until I select and was just wondering if slots will be few and far between by then. Also, when they stand a 46 sqd down, how are they training everyone on the v-22. Do they send everyone to the rag at once or what? Thanks in advance.

Whoa. That's a helluva question. I'd definitly talk to an IP that new who used to fly Phrogs. There's one in HT-8 who checked in last month. I'll PM the name.

~D

Autorotate

FAC, former Phrog pilot
My buddy just selected 46's out of advanced, and apparently so did many of his fellow wingers.
What we've been told is that the entire squadron will train up at the same time, which can take about a year. They are starting with east coast squadrons first, then west, then the 53D's in Hawaii, then the reserves. Of course, if you are coming up on the end of your tour, you have to re-up so that you will be in the fleet for another two years upon completion of the V-22 training.
I wouldn't worry about getting to fly the 46. Last update was that there will be 46's flying until 2015.

As they always say, "the last phrog pilot hasn't been born yet!"

KnightNArmor

ASO
pilot
I'm at the 46 FRS right now. We had 4 people in my class, and another 4 that came in right after I did. The catch is this...

they aren't letting anyone select 46's East coast. It's still on the preference card, but you can't actually get one of those spots. If you put it down, they'll just see that as that you really want 46s.

The Oki and West coast slots are still open and available. Once I finish here, I'm going to a 46 squadron at Miramar.

So, if you really want 46s...put down the east coast slots as well. You'll be pretty much guaranteed to get a 46 slot.

uaferg

Thanks a lot for the info. Sounds like the 46s aren't going anywhere for a while.

Knight (or any other phrog pilot), How is life at the FRS? Are you happy with your selection so far?

KnightNArmor

ASO
pilot
Lovin' it!! You actually get assigned a ground job on top of learning to fly the phrog. So, it really takes a juggling act sometimes to get everything done. But, it's not like flight school when you're flying every day. You actually get treated like an officer and a pilot. The squadron is all marine. No civilian contractors at all. So, you get to "re-Marine-ify" yourself.
It's also a much more laid back community than I thought it was going to be. Most definetly good for my personality. The RACs (Replacement Air Crews), us, get to really interact with the other officers and interact and in some cases lead a small team of enlisted. It's your first chance to see how things are really going to be like when you get to a tactical squadron.
The 46 is a breeze to fly. Much easier than what I thought it was going to be for such a large airframe. I love it!
If you got any other questions, just let me know. I'll talk ya ears off!!