• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

45 Acp vs .40 S&W .. H&K .. S/A ... S&W??

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
^^^ Hmmmmm .... thanks, guys. Maybe I'll mark time and "wait" for the H&K .45 compact model ... don't need/want another "full size" in .45 ACP .... got "billions and billions" (appology to Carl Sagan) of those.

I still am looking for .... the "perfect" suitcase .... the "perfect" socks that will stay up .... and the "perfect" concealed carry gun.

The search goes on ..... :)

doubledeuce

Tartan
None
A4sForever said:
I still am looking for .... the "perfect" suitcase ....
mp5k2.jpg
mp5k3.jpg

We may have a contender for that.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
A4sForever said:
It looks like a full size, 5" bbl, .45 .... ??? Where was the article ..?
I'll add to this...been holding off on an extreme desire to pick up a USP tactical. Nice to see it'll incorporate the same style o-ring barrel.

So...to raise the question (again), does anyone know what magazine originally had this article in it?

Would appear the color option will be similar to those offered on the USP line (previous pics I'd seen and posted had an all black version).

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Alright, I'm going to toss my hat in for the XD in .45 acp. I had the chance to shoot one at a range while blasting away with my shotgun this past weekend, and I'm impressed. How they squeezed 13 rounds into a grip that comfortable I'll never know, but even for my carnie-sized hands, it felt just right. Very controllable, and like Chuck said, it feels smoother than the 9mm (never fired the .40) while firing. Overall, the construction seemed pretty solid, and there was little wear & tear on it for a range rental. The Streamlight light/laser combo they had on the thing was kind of awkward, though, and I'm not sure if I would go that way.

I've got a friend out at the 46 FRS who has one, and he gave a pretty glowing review. He's pretty anal when it comes to his firearms, and especially so when it's one of his carry pistols. After he first got his XD, he took it to the range for some training, and after a full Saturday of shooting, he had this to say: "I TRIED to make it jam, but I couldn't. I even gave it to [A friend's fiancee] and she shot a 3in group." The lady in question is about 5'0", maybe 100lbs on a bad day, and has shot maybe 3 times in her life. I was there for one of those times, and it was not pretty.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
gaijin6423 said:
.......she shot a 3in group." The lady in question is about 5'0", maybe 100lbs on a bad day, and has shot maybe 3 times in her life. .....
It's funny, though ... I have taught several of these ladies and attended training with some more -- in general, these "non-prior/low time" shooting ladies seem to learn --- and learn correctly --- faster than the guys.

Maybe they don't have all those "macho" skeletons in the closet to overcome when it comes to shooting ... ??? :)

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I've known quite a few ladies who could send rounds downrage with the best of them, but not every girl is a jedi right out of the gate. The first time my girlfriend ever held a pistol, she turned it sideways, 'gangsta' style. All I could do was shake my head...

ip568

None
TT-33. Tweice the power of a .45, ammo is available (7.62X25), and it can be had for under $300.

Attachments

• tt33.jpg
    tt33.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 114

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ip568 said:
TT-33. Tweice the power of a .45, ammo is available (7.62X25), and it can be had for under $300.
That thing is also twice as ugly.

@ Gaigin: God damned Puerto Ricans! ;)

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
ip568 said:
ACTUALLY .... the Tokarev, whether T-33 or Chinese T-54 is not a bad choice. A "hot" --- almost-M1 carbine-type round in a handgun. But OVERPENETRATION is a big problem with this for personal defense. Better use hollow-points .... hit your target ... and pray. This FMJ cartridge is basically a Soviet version of and similar to .30 Mauser and supposedly falls somewhere between a .357 and .44 Magnum in energy/velocity/whatever yardstick you like to use. Small bullet, however ....

It's got a bad rap ... if you believe in those things ... and probably because it's a "Commie" gun and ammo. I think Cabella's carries the ammo --- among others --- but they reputedly won't ship 7.62X25 to Ohio. Something about "political" fallout from a cop shooting there a while back with the gun.

If you want to try it ... and can't find a T-33/T-54, you might try a Czech CZ52 (M48 7.62X25 cartridge) ... they come in @ $250 .... the cartridge is even "hotter" than the Soviet 7.62 if that's what makes it for you ... :)

PENETRATION is a big deal with the Soviet bloc ---
Lots of cold-WX gear mandated a "penetrating" round and with the advent of body armor --- the Soviets ... OOOPS!!! EXCUSE ME !!! Our Russian friends !!! :) Anyway ... "they" are considering a return to a high penetration round for handguns --- a.k.a. something on the order of the "old" high-penetrating 7.62X25 round.

But for USA personal protection firearms??? Be careful. In fact --- shun a high penetrating personal protection load. Liability .... lawyers ... money ... bad times ....

P.S. EMERGENCY !!!! ..... My H&K P2000 V3 .40 cal did NOT come in today .... hope I can make it to tomorrow ... :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Addendum: irony.

I mentioned that the Commies liked the 7.62X25 pistol round ... ???? ..... because it would "penetrate" layers of heavy, cold-inhibiting, waffle-weave Commie cold-WX wear .... right.... ???:)

And THEN .... I remembered, even though I referred to it as an " almost M1 Carbine" round ..... (**breathless**) .... I remembered, (**breathless**) that one of the biggest USGI gripes against the M1 Carbine round ... (@ 1990 fps out of a longer bbl than any Tokarev ever thought about) .... was that it would NOT penetrate the Korean War vintage, Commie, cold-WX, waffle-weave wear .... :confused: :eek:

The world is a strange place ..... yes??? :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A "keeper" .... .40 S&W caliber. Got it ... tried it ... LOVE IT !!! .... what a SWEET MACHINE !!! I think it makes my Glock 19 and S/A XD look ..... second place. More to follow ... :)

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
There's only one pistol in my book - day, night, 24X7X365 - make mine a Kimber 1911 in .45 ACP with 8 round mag.

The pic attached is my actual weapon :)

Attachments

• my kimber custom 2.jpg
    my kimber custom 2.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 134

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
A4sForever said:
A "keeper" .... .40 S&W caliber. Got it ... tried it ... LOVE IT !!! .... what a SWEET MACHINE !!! I think it makes my Glock 19 and S/A XD look ..... second place. More to follow ... :)

Write us up a range report and review when you are able my friend :)