• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

400 words on why I'm seeking a commision in the US Navy

bosaviator79

Just wondering if any of you could take some time and review my motivational essay for the officer app? I should also introduce myself. My name is Shane I'm 28 yrs old. I'm prior enlisted Air Force, seperated then attended ERAU in Daytona. I'm a commercial SEL pilot serving as a check pilot and records analyst for a FAA 135 repair station in Colorado. I'm currently applying for a pilot slot. I appreciate any honest feedback, and don't hold back I can take and am appreciative of any constructive criticism(s). Great site by the way! Thanks

"My desire to seek a commission in the U.S. Navy is motivated by my willingness to serve my country, lead a committed team, continue my family’s military legacy, and lastly, utilize my piloting skills in defense of my country. Though this is not an exclusive list of why I want to serve as a naval officer, I believe it represents the core of my decision to take this path of service.
As a prior service member, I understand the sacrifice the military requires and it is a commitment I can easily make. Because of what this nation has provided me, my integrity insists that I give something in return by continuing my service as a naval officer. I do not see this as a debt, but I accept it as an opportunity to be part of something that has true meaning.
I believe there is nothing we can’t accomplish as a committed team. As a leader, I do not place myself above those in my charge, but recognize my position as an integral member of the team. I accept this responsibility, and seek to motivate my team to accomplish the mission. The opportunity to lead and be a part of a team is a great honor that is seldom found outside of the Armed Forces; I feel this is my calling.
Nearly 90% of my family has served in the armed services. I’ve witnessed the camaraderie shared, and experienced the dedication and sacrifice that has been and will be required of me. I accept this not as an obligation, but as a way to celebrate the service of my predecessors.
As a student of aviation I have accomplished my dream of flight by becoming a commercial pilot. I have found my gift in life and couldn’t imagine doing anything else. However, I believe a gift is truly meant to be used for the common good of all. I elect to do this as a naval aviator and utilize my piloting skills in the defense of my nation.
The decision to seek commission in the U.S. Navy has not been taken lightly. Though my motivations are too numerous to list in this statement, they are entirely genuine. I eagerly await the opportunity to serve my country, lead a committed team and continue my family’s legacy by becoming a naval aviator."

blarged

ready
Howdy,
I have a few edits, which I will put in
red
I was told in college english... that you should not use contractions much of the time because they are weak, or rather not using them makes you sound stronger. I agree with it, but of course the final decision is up to you. Hope this little bit helps, and good luck!

"My desire to seek a commission in the U.S. Navy is motivated by my willingness to serve my country, lead a committed team, continue my family’s military legacy, and lastly, utilize my piloting skills in defense of my country. Though this is not an exclusive list of why I want to serve as a naval officer, I believe it represents the core of my decision to take this path of service. As a prior service member, I understand the sacrifice the military requires and it is a commitment I can easily make. Because of what this nation has provided me, my integrity insists that I give something in return by continuing my service as a naval officer. I do not see this as a debt, but I accept it as an opportunity to be part of something that has true meaning.
I believe there is nothing we can’t accomplish as a committed team The previous sentence has a negative feel to it in my opinion, maybe: I believe we can accomplish anything when committed as a team. As a leader, I do not place myself what are you referring to as 'myself' you as an officer would be 'above'. As a leader, I do not place my _____ above those... above those in my charge, but recognize my position as an integral member of the team. I accept this responsibility, and seek to motivate my team to accomplish the mission. The opportunity to lead and be a part of a team to this magnitude is a great honor that is seldom found outside of the Armed Forces I think you should add 'magnitude' because there are plenty of other areas outside the armed forces where you are able to be part of a team and lead; I feel this is my calling.
Nearly 90% of my family has served in the armed services. I’ve (I have) witnessed the camaraderie shared, and experienced the dedication and sacrifice that has been and will be required of me. I accept this not as an obligation, but as a way to celebrate the service of my predecessors.
As a student of aviation I have accomplished my dream of flight by becoming a commercial pilot. I have found my gift in life and couldn’t (could not) imagine doing anything else. However, I believe a gift is truly meant to be used for the common good of all. I elect to do this as a naval aviator and utilize my piloting skills in the defense of my nation.
The decision to seek commission in the U.S. Navy has not been taken lightly. Though my motivations are too numerous to list in this statement, they are entirely genuine. I eagerly await the opportunity to serve my country, lead a committed team and continue my family’s legacy by becoming a naval aviator."

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
General rules:

- What can you do for the Navy, not what they can do for you. Walk the fine line between over the top and ho-hum (e.g. deep seated desire to serve vs. "willingness to serve").

- Highlight your specific skills that separate you from every other applicant (maturity, leadership experience/examples in USAF) and make you a proven performer.

- Possibly ditch the family history - many an applicant gets to flight school and figures out that they're only there to impress the family, and it's not worth it to them personally. Concentrate on internal factors rather than external and avoid associating yourself with that stigma.

- Don't make it a foregone conclusion that your comm. pilot experience will make you a successful Student Naval Aviator (e.g. if afforded the opportunity to enter the Naval Aviation training pipeline vs. "I elect to do this as a Naval Aviator"). Shows a more mature understanding of the difficulty of the program and the level of commitment necessary to be successful.

Good Luck.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
One of my pet peeves that I seem to read on many essays (not to pick on you btw)is the first sentence sounding as if you are answering a question, rather than having something that catches the reader. Instead of "My desire blah blah blah" Or "I am seeking XYZ", why not have a strong introductory sentence?

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
- Possibly ditch the family history - many an applicant gets to flight school and figures out that they're only there to impress the family, and it's not worth it to them personally. Concentrate on internal factors rather than external and avoid associating yourself with that stigma.

I agree, but at the same time, if seeing your family serve inspired a military zest for you, then say something to that effect. Too often you associated words like "obligation" and "debt" with with family. It doesn't sound like this is the message you want to convey, but it does put a drab tone on everything.

Also, I know the military IS a sacrifice, but you wrote the word a lot, and it sounded like if you were to play a word association game and military came up, you would say sacrifice, whereas I feel others might pick "badass" or "warheads on foreheads" or another equally cliche and badass term. I would try not to make sacrifice the forefront of the essay. If you want to address it in a manner that you're aware of it, that's fine, but maybe not to the effect I interpreted.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I would also include the that you were in the Air Force, that it was gay, and that you were wrong for enlisting in that service. Make sure to say that you are only seeking a commission in the Navy as penance for that very poor decision. :D

bosaviator79

Hell I read that I nearly fell out of my chair, I think that unequivically sums up why I want to be a Naval Officer. I'm do you mind if I quote you?

Brett1

Banned
I think that it would be wise to point out that you attended Embry-Riddle in Daytona and that proves your ability to go 6 months at a time without getting laid, therefore carrier duty would be a piece of cake!

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
It's a gift I have. And you are more than welcome to quote, with the proper citations of course.:)

bosaviator79

Na man, I flew out to see my girlfriend for "congical" visits once a month. Had to do something on those long x-countries. So cumulatively speaking I only went like four months without sex.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Na man, I flew out to see my girlfriend for "congical" visits once a month. Had to do something on those long x-countries. So cumulatively speaking I only went like four months without sex.

Oh boy! Next time let's make it a contest on here and see who can go the longest!

MasterBates

Meh. I suffered thru court enforced celibacy for 18 months. You can make it thru cruise. See my username and get yourself a happy sock.