• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

31y/o female wanting to fly - advice needed

SirenSky99

I’m a 31 year old mechanical engineer with a weird obsession I can’t shake to fly navy. With your life experiences I’d like to hear if you’d consider me leaving a kush soul sucking job for flying navy as a poor decision. I understand I’d be considered a grandma with the rest of the young SNAs. What are your thoughts? Stupid for me to practically start over at 31? What are the social dynamics to consider, weird to have an old lady doing young gun things?
Family: probably start a family closer to 40. Kinda rough with 10 yr commit.
Dating: Probably won’t be dating behind the gate. Can’t date higher ranks and not dating 5 years below me.
Social life: … older means better balance of less partying and better friendships? Idk about this one . Different stage of life might bite me here.
Thanks for the perspectives.
Age waiver considered. To take ASVAB soon.

jnTucker

I’m a 31 year old mechanical engineer with a weird obsession I can’t shake to fly navy. With your life experiences I’d like to hear if you’d consider me leaving a kush soul sucking job for flying navy as a poor decision. I understand I’d be considered a grandma with the rest of the young SNAs. What are your thoughts? Stupid for me to practically start over at 31? What are the social dynamics to consider, weird to have an old lady doing young gun things?
Dating: Probably won’t be dating behind the gate. Can’t date higher ranks and not dating 5 years below me.
Social life: … older means better balance of less partying and better friendships? Idk about this one . Different stage of life might bite me here.
I'm a 34 year old female who put in my packet for OCS (for IWC). Go for it. Do big things. We're not too old.

exNavyOffRec

I would say to look into the ANG as well, while NRC will probably grant an age waiver as they do 99% of the time the board still has to accept it which is more of a crap-shoot. The more recent PA has the parameters for immediate selection which will probably result in many of the spots being grabbed up and leaving those who don't meet the immediate selection criteria to go for what is left over.

There are a few other designators that have a higher age limit, but if you are set on flying do take a look at the ANG.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wouldn’t get too hung up about your “advanced” age, at least socially speaking. 31 is older than the average but there will be plenty of other students, especially prior-enlisted, who will be of a similar age, and you’d hardly be a grandma. It’s not at all unusual for folks to decide to go for a military officer career after a few years of doing something else. My ex was 30 when she went to OCS, was working in NYC on 9/11 and decided to join.

You also seem to be under the impression that joining the Navy would mean giving up a personal, romantic, and family life. It’s true that being in the military brings with it some challenges that civvie life doesn’t, but just about all of us manage to make it work. Most female officers who decide to have kids usually do so on their first shore tour, which would be about five years after commissioning (two-ish years in flight school and a three year first sea tour), not ten.

Bottom line, you’re not that old, and this isn’t a radical-crazy notion. Go for it.

SirenSky99

I would say to look into the ANG as well, while NRC will probably grant an age waiver as they do 99% of the time the board still has to accept it which is more of a crap-shoot. The more recent PA has the parameters for immediate selection which will probably result in many of the spots being grabbed up and leaving those who don't meet the immediate selection criteria to go for what is left over.

There are a few other designators that have a higher age limit, but if you are set on flying do take a look at the ANG.
Thank you for the feedback. A crap shoot! oh noo. I’ve ‘seen’ some of the board selections from air warriors, if they’re true. It looks like no rhyme or reason to the selection, but plenty I don’t know must have dependent on the interview.
I am set on flying. Thank you I will looking into ANG.
Sorry what is does PA stand for?

johnpauljones1776

Un-salted butter bar (non prior)
Thank you for the feedback. A crap shoot! oh noo. I’ve ‘seen’ some of the board selections from air warriors, if they’re true. It looks like no rhyme or reason to the selection, but plenty I don’t know must have dependent on the interview.
I am set on flying. Thank you I will looking into ANG.
Sorry what is does PA stand for?
PA = Program authorization. I’d say go for it, there’s a handful of 30 year olds in A pool right now (the waiting pool after ocs and before NIFE). If you want to fly and only fly only put SNA on your application, recruiters will try to convince you to put down SNFO which is a great career in itself but it’s not a pilot spot.

SirenSky99

Don't take the ASVAB. Take the ASTB. If the recruiter you're working with tells you to take the ASVAB, you're working with the wrong recruiter.

That said, let the Navy say no. If they do, like others have said, look at the Guard options.
Thank you, I appreciate the correction. Apologies I misspoke. Have too many of these tests on my mind.
Let ‘em say no 🤘🏻

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

You’ll need to apply, be selected, attend OCS and graduate/commission before turning 32. The process can take several months and I haven’t seen age waivers be entertained for applicants with no prior service.

SirenSky99

You’ll need to apply, be selected, attend OCS and graduate/commission before turning 32. The process can take several months and I haven’t seen age waivers be entertained for applicants with no prior service.
Would age waivers have a higher chance to be considered with some flight hours?
Right that timeline looks tight/ not possible as I’m 32 in summer with an age waiver.

SirenSky99

It's not Navy, but your age waiver will be much easier in the Air National Guard. Have you considered the ANG route?
I haven’t considered that route yet. Tackling the first age related fire. Thanks I’ll search for perspectives on ANG.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Would age waivers have a higher chance to be considered with some flight hours?
Right that timeline looks tight/ not possible as I’m 32 in summer with an age waiver.

For aviation, only age waivers I've seen granted + work out have been those with prior enlisted/military service. There's already plenty of qualified applicants out there not needing any sort of waiver.

Aside from making you feel more comfortable flying... any sort of flying + private flying license offers very little benefit in terms of an application.