• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2yr program

Status
Not open for further replies.

RXSilver

Can you guys please explain to me how the 2 yr program works? Do you have to apply for a scholarship for the 2 yr program? Also, I hear that if your a college program midshipman, you have to get an "advanced standing" in order to recieve your commision. What exactly is advanced standing?

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Advanced standing is a state where you pay your own way through school, but the Navy subsidises your books and even gives you a monthly stipend. You can get commissioned that way. You have to apply fora 2 year scholarship. Then you go to NSI in Rhode Island before your junior year for something like 6 weeks. That brings you up to speed on NROTC.

RXSilver

would you have to have a 2 yr scholarship, or could you just be a 2 yr college program midshipman?

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm not sure about the college program, better ask a recruiter, or ea6bflyr.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
You do not have to go to NSI at all schools. Most will just have you double up in on the NROTC classes that you missed... IE take 2 navy classes a semester. If you want to do NROTC and don't have a scholarship, you need to go start as a college programer. This will GREATLY improve your chances of getting picked up for the scholarship. Don't just wait to get a scholarship before going and joining the ROTC unit.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
bch has a good point. When I was in high school, I blew off my ROTC paperwork in favor of my application to USNA. When I got rejected by the Academy, I went college program to PSU. Picked up the scholarship the year after that. They'll want to see that you're motivated to join up, scholarship or no. FYI, one of my classmates actually went 4yrs in the college program and got his commission without a dime of tuition money from the Navy. So that's possible too.

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
yeah, i was a college programmer. i left after my semester because i couldn't pay the hefty out of state tuition, but the kids that were in the college programmer who were paying instate, it was another story. i heard from my old buddy that about 85% of the kids in college program picked up the scholarship the following year (remember, they don't give out the scholarship by semester, but annually.)

RXSilver

so it would be possible to be a college programer all 4 years and you wouldnt be required to have a scholarship to get a commision? also, what are the requirements for the college program way? is there still high competion for it, or can anyone just become a college programmer?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone can become a college programmer, but you don't automatically get advanced standing. You have to apply. That's where the competition comes in, I believe. No, you wouldn't need a scholarship to get a commission if you go 4 yrs in college program. ea6bflyr is probably the one to ask about the details regarding that path.

RXSilver

ok, now thats where i was confused on. I heard that you had to have an advanced standing in order for you to get the commision, is that true?

Status
Not open for further replies.