• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2nd choice for service selection?

defiant85

None
With regard to this year's service selection you shouldn't have a problem picking up pilot. As I said, they offered it to quite a few people at my unit who didn't even put aviation down, including the lowest ranked mid in my class.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
I edited my message...I didn't mean any offense to FOs. But I'm not gonna BS when I'm looking for sound advice. Which I got, and thanks for that.

The GS at my unit has to put my actual choices into a system (OPTMIS??) by July 15th, but my package isn't due until 1 August, so I have some time to figure this stuff out. I'm a december grad so I didn't really get the facetime with my LT to talk about this stuff. Partly my fault.

But thanks for the advice, more please.

OK, no offense taken. Heck, my girlfriend is an ex-SH60 pilot and she calls me "self-loading baggage".

As for NFO, remember, the communities vary a lot. E-2 and P-3 guys tend to back in the tube working systems. EA-6B and F/A-18F guys are more tactically involved crew members. We talk on radios, navigate, traffic calls, etc.

And remember, the worst day as an NFO is still an order of magnitude better than the best day as a SWO. ;) (No offense to Mr. Wilkins).

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I'm not sure if this thread belongs here, but NROTC seemed the most relevant.

Anyways, I'm graduating from school and putting in my package for aviation. We have to write a letter indicating our first and second choices as far as the different unrestricted lines we have access to: Naval aviator, NFO, subs, SWO, SEALS or EOD.

I for sure want to be a pilot, but don't know what to put as my second choice. I don't want to be an NFO. I'd rather go subs or EOD.

Any suggestions?

I don't mean any disrespect to NFOs. My mentor was an E-2 NFO and I have great respect for him and the community. Just not my thing, no offense.

I don't know if you did an aviation 1/c cruise, or if you have had any experience w/ NFO's in the "fleet" but I did and I will say that (at least in the WSO and ECMO communities) their job seemed every bit as exciting, challenging and important as the pilot's. You may not be the one yanking the stick, but you are integral to the mission and the safety of the aircraft. I'm in the exact same boat as you (service selecting this aug, pilot 1st choice), and what I decided was no matter what, I want to be in the aviation community, whether it be pilot or NFO. No way could I see myself in the SWO or Sub community, and my summer cruise experience just reinforced my desire to go aviation. Though I hope to select pilot (as you do), I would not shed a tear if I selected 1370 for whatever reason. Just some food for thought, and good luck!

Crowbar

None
I agree.

What these kids don't realize is that you are an officer first and aviator, NFO, SEAL, EOD, SWO, etc second. The challenge is in being a leader and taking care of your sailors, not in the technical skills to do your job.

We're on the same page. What I get really sick of hearing is how every new ECMO coming out of Pensacola can give you the name of the person who "stole" their Hornet/Super Hornet slot.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
OK, no offense taken. Heck, my girlfriend is an ex-SH60 pilot and she calls me "self-loading baggage".

As for NFO, remember, the communities vary a lot. E-2 and P-3 guys tend to back in the tube working systems. EA-6B and F/A-18F guys are more tactically involved crew members. We talk on radios, navigate, traffic calls, etc.

Meat, I can't believe you just said that... No more smoke in the air calls for you. :D

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Meat, I can't believe you just said that... No more smoke in the air calls for you. :D

Goober,

I am done flying. 3x FOS for O-5.

After a year IA in Al Asad with the Marines, I am on my way to TACRON to go play with more Marines.:D Retire 01 Aug 2010, not that I am counting or anything.

Anyway, are you out at Chambers? I get to Little Creek in August. A beer meet may be in the works.

pilotvmi

I put subs as my second choice after pilot. For me, being in an airplane and not flying it wouldnt be any fun. And I enjoyed the hell out of the midshipman sub cruise I was on.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Anyway, are you out at Chambers? I get to Little Creek in August. A beer meet may be in the works.

Oceana, but I play an NFO at Chambers once or twice a week (I'm CAG staff these days). Little Creek's not a bad deal at all and a pretty nice base as far as Norfolk goes. Have a friend who had wanted TACRON but will end up as a boat staff O instead. Given an option TACRON would probably be my choice as well - at least it's aviation-ish in an abstract sort of way.

ryanber

RetreadRand said:
you would rather be an ass riding sub weenie than an NFO?
are you nuts?
NFOs are still higher on the food chain the subbers and SWOS

That's just too good. :icon_lol:

I put SNFO for my first choise because i was NPQ'd but could still do NFO. Placed subs 2nd and SWO 3rd. I've only found out recently that there are (or were) too many NFO selects in the pipeline so when I get to P-cola next week, I might be in for a long wait.