• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

27JAN20 SNA/SNFO(Pilot/NFO)

Thanos

Fair enough. Guess my point was, that’s not the kind of interview people will typically be referencing as part of their package.

Yeah definitely, I should’ve clarified with my initial post, my bad. If only the selection board met with us so we weren't just papers and statistics. But I understand the inefficiency of that haha

Willyz

So from what I understand it works a little differently in the Army, we don't get evaluations until E5 and I got out as an E4. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks for the info, I'm not aware of it. Best luck!

PontusPilot

Contributor
What was the last board you applied to? Was just changing LORs and a new Moto statement enough to be considered a major change?
What was the last board you applied to? Was just changing LORs and a new Moto statement enough to be considered a major change?
Feb.18th 2018, and yeah my recruiters said it was enough to resubmit. I switched recruiters, my old one said that it wasn’t enough but new recruiter says it’s enough.... so we will see. I just signed all my paperwork yesterday to send up my package for this board.

bigbird

Biggest Bird
Feb.18th 2018, and yeah my recruiters said it was enough to resubmit. I switched recruiters, my old one said that it wasn’t enough but new recruiter says it’s enough.... so we will see. I just signed all my paperwork yesterday to send up my package for this board.
I don't think you have to change your package at all to reapply after 6 months and it is certainly more than 6 months past 18feb 2018.... I may be remembering wrong. I was assuming you had applied to a more recent board so my original question is kinda pointless lol. Anyways, I hope that you have a VERY STRONG motivational statement and LORs because I had applied to the previous board in October with a 51 5/7/5 and a 2.97 GPA and I got denied. I also have no waivers and a clean medical record. Hopefully you can sneak by and get a Y unlike me last board. :(

PontusPilot

Contributor
I don't think you have to change your package at all to reapply after 6 months and it is certainly more than 6 months past 18feb 2018.... I may be remembering wrong. I was assuming you had applied to a more recent board so my original question is kinda pointless lol. Anyways, I hope that you have a VERY STRONG motivational statement and LORs because I had applied to the previous board in October with a 51 5/7/5 and a 2.97 GPA and I got denied. I also have no waivers and a clean medical record. Hopefully you can sneak by and get a Y unlike me last board. :(
Dang hope the best for you! Yes my last recruiter told me if I waited a year I could reapply. I didn’t want to retest since I already waited and waste a retest, and it gives me more time to study. Are you applying for any other designators? I am also applying SWO/SUPPO. The new LORs I got are from a Captain in Navy, and CW3 army, other was a Commander also in Navy. Captain was SWO and Commander was a pilot.

Last edited:

bigbird

Biggest Bird
Dang hope the best for you! Yes my last recruiter told me if I waited a year I could reapply. I didn’t want to retest since I already waited and waste a retest, and it gives me more time to study. Are you applying for any other designators? I am also applying SWO/SUPPO. The new LORs I got are from a Captain in Navy, and O-4 army, other was a Commander also in Navy. Captain was SWO and Commander was a pilot.
I'm still only applying for only SNA this time around if I don't get selected this time im going to regroup take some time and try to go for SNA SWO and NFO for my last hoorah to get in. I really don't have an interest in the civilian sector it has always seemed so dull to me.

PontusPilot

Contributor
I'm still only applying for only SNA this time around if I don't get selected this time im going to regroup take some time and try to go for SNA SWO and NFO for my last hoorah to get in. I really don't have an interest in the civilian sector it has always seemed so dull to me.
I only applied for SNA, because my recruiter said I had a strong chance of getting picked up with my scores.... I really would like SUPPO. I just added SWO this time around. Here is hoping I get picked up for SNA, and leave for the APR.17th class!

bigbird

Biggest Bird
I only applied for SNA, because my recruiter said I had a strong chance of getting picked up with my scores.... I really would like SUPPO. I just added SWO this time around. Here is hoping I get picked up for SNA, and leave for the APR.17th class!
I honestly have no idea what happens at the board and it seems to only get more confusing. Someone from our board got picked up with 47 5/6/5 and I think a 2.85 gpa. so i suppose anything is possible, he was no prior service and no waivers too. some people even got picked up with waivers and some didn't. so it really seems like the best shot you have at getting selected now isn't entirely dependent upon just scores and GPA but rather a really REALLY well rounded package can do the trick.

PontusPilot

Contributor
I honestly have no idea what happens at the board and it seems to only get more confusing. Someone from our board got picked up with 47 5/6/5 and I think a 2.85 gpa. so i suppose anything is possible, he was no prior service and no waivers too. some people even got picked up with waivers and some didn't. so it really seems like the best shot you have at getting selected now isn't entirely dependent upon just scores and GPA but rather a really REALLY well rounded package can do the trick.
I think they also look at age and volunteer work. They also want to see any extracurricular activities. I am 24 and don’t have much to offer with the two latter. I am working on it though.

bigbird

Biggest Bird
I think they also look at age and volunteer work. They also want to see any extracurricular activities. I am 24 and don’t have much to offer with the two latter. I am working on it though.
I'm certainly going to go through my package very thoroughly this time around and really shore it all up as much as possible i feel like my package was neglected in the polishing department towards the very end and i was more concerned about getting it submitted.

Tgonzo29

Hey Guys,

New to the board. Just took the ASTB. This was my first attempt and I am considering a “go-around” now that I know what to expect. I kind of crammed to study for the ASTB for this board, but my recruiter just told me they can’t get me a flight physical date til January. Now I need to wait til the April board unfortunately. I figured I’d post my stats and see what others suggest based on their experience.

Applying for SNA
ASTB Score: 50, 6/6/5
GPA: 2.6
Degree: New Communication Media
Flight Hours: 284
Ratings: PPL, Instrument, HP/Complex, Tailwheel. (Expected completion of Commercial and CFI by April)
Previously offered Pilot Slot in USAF declined commission after being DNIF’d for vision. (Underwent Successful LASIK treatment since)
Long competitive sports background
Lots of Volunteer work with Commemorative Air Force, GD Flight Department, and coaching hockey
LOR: Ret USAF O-6, Ret USN O-5, USAF O-3, USN LT, Flight Department Director... so far

I need to put together my motivational statement now.....

Cheers

bigbird

Biggest Bird
Hey Guys,

New to the board. Just took the ASTB. This was my first attempt and I am considering a “go-around” now that I know what to expect. I kind of crammed to study for the ASTB for this board, but my recruiter just told me they can’t get me a flight physical date til January. Now I need to wait til the April board unfortunately. I figured I’d post my stats and see what others suggest based on their experience.

Applying for SNA
ASTB Score: 50, 6/6/5
GPA: 2.6
Degree: New Communication Media
Flight Hours: 284
Ratings: PPL, Instrument, HP/Complex, Tailwheel. (Expected completion of Commercial and CFI by April)
Previously offered Pilot Slot in USAF declined commission after being DNIF’d for vision. (Underwent Successful LASIK treatment since)
Long competitive sports background
Lots of Volunteer work with Commemorative Air Force, GD Flight Department, and coaching hockey
LOR: Ret USAF O-6, Ret USN O-5, USAF O-3, USN LT, Flight Department Director... so far

I need to put together my motivational statement now.....

Cheers
Hockey coach eh? Where are you from?