• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

23 May 18 Pilot/NFO Selection Board

Seniuram

What I've been doing for push ups is to do 3 sets of a certain number. So like I started with 3 sets of 20 or 25, and then gradually add 5 or 10 to that number. Your max will come up pretty quickly!

Also I'll do Farlek type runs where every half mile or so I do a larger set, like 30 or 40 push ups. Hopefully that will help past the IST and into the rest of training.
Yeah I’ve been doing as many push-ups/curl ups I can do in 2 minutes(must stay in form the whole time no dropping.) Then 1 minute, then 30 seconds. Then run the 1.5 mile as fast as I can. I’m about 5 off of max on both for upper body and about 9 min on the 1.5 mile. Do this 3 times a week and then Weights on off days. Granted I’ve been doing this specific training since November

peppergunner

ɹǝqɯǝW pǝʇɹǝʌuI
That’s a great routine for push-ups. Something similar I do is take 10-15 minutes in the morning when you wake up and do 100 push ups in as few sets as possible. The goal is to eventually do it in 1 set.
This is what I'm doing as well.

bdepaola

Yeah I’ve been doing as many push-ups/curl ups I can do in 2 minutes(must stay in form the whole time no dropping.) Then 1 minute, then 30 seconds. Then run the 1.5 mile as fast as I can. I’m about 5 off of max on both for upper body and about 9 min on the 1.5 mile. Do this 3 times a week and then Weights on off days. Granted I’ve been doing this specific training since November
Are you running short distance sprints at all? I can max out the push ups and sit ups in one set each, but the run I'm in the upper 9 range. I was in the 10s for a while and when I started doing 1/4 and 1/2 mile sprints I dropped about a minute. But I've plateaued and can't get that extra minute off. Are you doing anything different to keep your run time down?

Seniuram

Are you running short distance sprints at all? I can max out the push ups and sit ups in one set each, but the run I'm in the upper 9 range. I was in the 10s for a while and when I started doing 1/4 and 1/2 mile sprints I dropped about a minute. But I've plateaued and can't get that extra minute off. Are you doing anything different to keep your run time down?
Run all different variations of distance from .5 mile sprints to 4-6 mile jogs. Every single one however I push to the point where I almost vomit afterwards. Literally just push through the “suck” as they say and don’t just settle into a “feel good” pace. It honestly is the WOAT but knowing A little suffering now will get rid of a lot of suffering later makes it better.

jnaylor

Coming from a D1 cross country and track runner, the best way to get better at running is to run more distance. You don’t have to run as hard as you can. Increase the distance by 5-10 miles a week. Once you get your run length up and you aren’t hurt you want to work in different interval types of workouts; not necessarily for the speed but so you can get the pace in your legs. Obviously we are on a bit of a time crunch at this point but at the end of the day if you want to get quicker, then run farther. If you want more specifics then feel free to message me directly.

aribjc

You absolutely should have a couple "feel good" pace runs each week but over long distance. If you're pushing it to nearly throwing up each day you are going to injure yourself eventually and you're pretty lucky it hasn't happened already. You get faster by running distances and you aren't going to do that by running all out. Have 2-3 hard run/sprint days a week and 2-3 easy recovery runs. Not a D1 runner but still collegiate, and thats pretty standard info, you don't want to push it too hard especially this close to OCS.

Seniuram

You absolutely should have a couple "feel good" pace runs each week but over long distance. If you're pushing it to nearly throwing up each day you are going to injure yourself eventually and you're pretty lucky it hasn't happened already. You get faster by running distances and you aren't going to do that by running all out. Have 2-3 hard run/sprint days a week and 2-3 easy recovery runs. Not a D1 runner but still collegiate, and thats pretty standard info, you don't want to push it too hard especially this close to OCS.
I guess what I’m trying to say is don’t jog a 35 minute 2 mile. Don’t have to be at a dead sprint the whole time but push yourself.

aribjc

I guess what I’m trying to say is don’t jog a 35 minute 2 mile. Don’t have to be at a dead sprint the whole time but push yourself.

Oh yeah absolutely. When i hear "feel good pace" I'm thinking somewhere between 7:30-8 min miles. You should have a few of those a week, but yeah don't waste your time running much slower than that.

peppergunner

ɹǝqɯǝW pǝʇɹǝʌuI
Yeah.

Push yourself and be tired at the end, but dont be so tired that you couldn't do the same thing tomorrow.

Coming from a D1 cross country and track runner, the best way to get better at running is to run more distance. You don’t have to run as hard as you can. Increase the distance by 5-10 miles a week. Once you get your run length up and you aren’t hurt you want to work in different interval types of workouts; not necessarily for the speed but so you can get the pace in your legs. Obviously we are on a bit of a time crunch at this point but at the end of the day if you want to get quicker, then run farther. If you want more specifics then feel free to message me directly.

To make an analogy for pushups - If you want to increase the number of pushups you can do in 2 minutes, you wouldn't want to try to see the heaviest singe weighted pushup you could do. Volume will be your friend leading up to the actual IST date.

Oh yeah absolutely. When i hear "feel good pace" I'm thinking somewhere between 7:30-8 min miles. You should have a few of those a week, but yeah don't waste your time running much slower than that.
The golden pace :D

Seniuram

Yeah, when I think feel good pace it’s when our coach would tell us to run 60 minutes straight after practice, you’d be amazed at how slow you can go and still look like you’re running. Lol