• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC 2016's API Lead Ensign is the CAOC Marine Liason Officer

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Number one, in the AF, my understanding is that the RO or some designated rep writes your FITREP, vs our style of the member themselves writing the first draft. Maybe not a game changer, but I can see that going south too if it is some rando O-6 in Bahrain.

Secondly, I fucking hate your situation. You are too smart for these assclowns bro. Did you get caught in the "lets kill combat section/division lead quals because IA's need bodies" USMC initiative?

Our community is severely undermanned... but we still won't say "no" to IAs when the man comes calling. Not complaining about the IA though. Finding Da'esh tanks, tasking folks to kill them, and watching an AGM-65 do its magic on the RPA feed isn't a bad deal as far as IAs go. Somebody has to do it, and a recent FAC and F/A-18 guy is probably a good choice.

I am complaining about Captain America (I mean Major America) with no operational job taking it upon himself to require monthly PFTs and all the other sillyness. This isn't OCS. Guys out here are doing grad school classes, EWS, and working out. He's solving a problem that doesn't need to be solved.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I get that, but i am also angry to hear how f'd the Corps made a whole generation of Hornet dudes, professionally. Seems like you are at peace with that, so I won't argue, but I'm sorry.

They're also doing it to Harrier dudes as well... to some of the same dude who already went on IA before starting flight school- so two IAs before finishing up in their first fleet tour.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
They're also doing it to Harrier dudes as well... to some of the same dude who already went on IA before starting flight school- so two IAs before finishing up in their first fleet tour.

:confused:
Sweet, let's train you so we can send you somewhere else and have to train you again later. I didn't understand it as an ENS, and I still don't. As a disassociated tour, maybe, but not for a FNG.

This MLO sounds like a real piece of work. I look forward to future developments- I suspect things won't go well for him.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
The next senior person in the chain of command is in Bahrain. An Marine O-6 showed up and MARLO made a point to let everyone know that even though the new guy is a Marine and 2 ranks senior, he is NOT part of the MARLO because he is standing an Air Force watch. Which is exactly what all of us are doing.

Operationally he really doesn't have any duties except for reporting back to MARCENT general and answering MARCENT phone calls.

Are these Air Force watches supposed to be stood by Air Force guys? Are we filling gaps that the Air Force should be filling because they are so "undermanned" in their pilot communities?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The idea that anyone is still doing IAs seems absolutely ridiculous to me. AFAIK there aren't any being done on the active component Navy side. What's the party line from HQMC on why you folks are still doing them?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
The idea that anyone is still doing IAs seems absolutely ridiculous to me. AFAIK there aren't any being done on the active component Navy side. What's the party line from HQMC on why you folks are still doing them?

I know of a few by Navy helo folks. Generally in lieu of second sea tour though.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I agree that the very concept of IA's is absolute bullshit. It's a terrible, broken system. Sending pilots that have had millions of dollars invested in their training is a level of stupidity only achievable by the Marine Corps.

To make matters worse, a lot of IA's I saw doled out by MAG-13 were to shitbirds who got in trouble (DUI, frat) or just sucked. However, there were also just the unlucky ones who got to deal with a shitty, pointless deployment in addition to the stigma of people assuming they sucked because they got picked.

Strangely enough, ground non combat MOS's seem to actually seek IA's as a fitrep builder. Hearing ATC guys give an "after action PME" on their time as a battle captain is a little surreal.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Perhaps the way it was described to me was that there weren't any involuntary ones where guys were pulled out of their current orders.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Perhaps the way it was described to me was that there weren't any involuntary ones where guys were pulled out of their current orders.
I think they finally stopped sending first tour guys within their first two years in a squadron, but I know plenty of guys still getting rewarded for their decision to return to a MAG (often right after refresh) with all expense paid trip to bullshitistan.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot

This is mostly true in my experience. LOTS of reserve Navy folks, and from actual Air Operations Center reserve units and many years removed from flying tours. Imagine that, AOC folks working in an AOC. In my small corner of the world, only 1 active duty Navy helo guy comming off NPS orders, so his situation may be a bit more bespoke.

Party line. This is the USMC so nobody really asks why, certainly not the Captain. And even that captain is only going to ask his skipper. Personally, I think MARCENT is asking for them and nobody is telling them no because, you know "There's a goddamn war going on, and the Marines better be involved. If we aren't involved, they might realize they can fight a war without Marines, and maybe one day we get swallowed up by the Army, and planes given to the Navy."

The ultimate answer for any question about the USMC is: so it doesn't become irrelevant. (see also: why the JSF costs so much)

Last edited:

jmcquate

Contributor
"There's a goddamn war going on, and the Marines better be involved. If we aren't involved, they might realize they can fight a war without Marines, and maybe one day we get swallowed up by the Army, and planes given to the Navy."
BINGO!....................having to deal with Maj. Sargent Instructor seems to be the cherry on the top of your cake.