• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2013 RMP

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
"Soon." CNAFR has their list, I just don't think it's been signed off yet, officially. Not sure about the common folk. Last year it was the week of Thanksgiving.

lcaeagle913

pilot
I've heard from several different sources (but can't find it written anywhere) that there is a two year "amnesty" when you go to the reserves from AD. I'm talking SELRES, not IRR. Meaning you won't be up for an IA for the first two years in your unit. Is there any validity to this? Are there preconditions (i.e. deployment within XX months of separating)? I'll be separating in a few months and joining a SELRES unit, and just wanted to have an idea of what to expect.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've heard from several different sources (but can't find it written anywhere) that there is a two year "amnesty" when you go to the reserves from AD. I'm talking SELRES, not IRR. Meaning you won't be up for an IA for the first two years in your unit. Is there any validity to this? Are there preconditions (i.e. deployment within XX months of separating)? I'll be separating in a few months and joining a SELRES unit, and just wanted to have an idea of what to expect.

First up, it's not an IA, it's a MOB. Yes, sometimes (often?) the MOB is in a billet that may have been filled by someone doing an IA in the past, but it's not always the case.

Secondly, yes, you are correct. If you affiliate within 6 months of getting off AD, you have a two year sanctuary from getting on the RMP. If you affiliate within 1 year, it's 1 year sanctuary. Once you MOB, you have 5x the time you MOBed until you're eligible to be on the list (MOB for a year, you won't be on the list for 5 years after). Also, if you MOB (and I believe it has to be in support of Contingency Ops, but not sure), for a year or more, it knocks off your time until retirment pay. So if you MOB'ed for a total of 2 years in your SELRES career, you'd get paid at 58 vice 60.

dustydog

pilot
It will be out after Thanksgiving. CNRFC is kind enough to wait untill after the holiday to spoil the fun.

Ready Mobilization Pool. A pool of SELRES that will get called first for the all of the GSA/IA billets that the AC is getting out of. If you are on it, expect to be called, the requirements are not going down this year. 13XX's are in high demand because someone at USFF decided that important billets such as Kabul dogcatcher need a pilot vice anyone on else .

lcaeagle913

pilot
Gator, thanks for the info. MOB vs. IA is just one of the many acronyms I need to get used to! I was reading on one of the other threads to "not get caught up in the alphabet soup", and I can definitely see how that happens...
I'll have to keep on reading to see what else it is I don't know about what I'm getting in to!

ProwlerPilot

pilot
Are we the only service doing this "good deal" IA / MOB thing? I have a couple friends in the Air Force reserve now and they continue to tell me they can pretty much stay in their billet in the reserves forever and "what is MOB? No, I'm not going anywhere. Ever."

Why is it that it seems the only people learning how to be a grunt are people who joined the Navy and didn't want to be a grunt? The Army is off the hook since they have taken the brunt of these conflicts for sure.... Just curious.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Are we the only service doing this "good deal" IA / MOB thing? I have a couple friends in the Air Force reserve now and they continue to tell me they can pretty much stay in their billet in the reserves forever and "what is MOB? No, I'm not going anywhere. Ever."

Why is it that it seems the only people learning how to be a grunt are people who joined the Navy and didn't want to be a grunt? The Army is off the hook since they have taken the brunt of these conflicts for sure.... Just curious.

One part of the answer...budget/money. Since the latest conflict is not really Navy centric, the USN has to show participation in order to keep funding lines from being cut. The latest flavor of the week is to shift this participation over to the reserve component.

I was the assistant warden (XO) at a prison with 700+ guards (Sailors of all rates). The only aviation related thing I did was go out of my way to piss off the SWOs.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
......Also, if you MOB (and I believe it has to be in support of Contingency Ops, but not sure), for a year or more, it knocks off your time until retirement pay. So if you MOB'ed for a total of 2 years in your SELRES career, you'd get paid at 58 vice 60.

The rule about getting your reserve retirement earlier is that any active duty time except for your normal reserve stuff (drills and AT) qualifies, and it is every 90 days of active duty you serve within a FY that qualifies you for retirement pay (but not TRICARE) 90 days earlier. It has to be in the same FY though, so if you start your one-year MOB on 20 July those first 70 or so days don't count, the 90 day clock restarts on 1 October. Here are some links explaining it:

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/guardandreserve/a/earlyretirement.htm

http://militarypay.defense.gov/retirement/reserve.html

http://www.armytimes.com/money/retirement/offduty-us-military-retired-reserve-retirement-050312/

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks for the links. I'll look them over next week at work. I've received some new Officer blood and we've been prepping them for the RMP down the road but didn't have the actual reference. To hear that it's just 90 days is huge. Especially for those that go on Schools ADT for some sort of RAG syllabus (O or E).

ProwlerPilot

pilot
For those of you looking forward to seeing your name in lights.... the RMP 2013 will hit the streets this Friday.