• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2010 Service Assignments

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
So you qualified EOOW/EDO like I did? Or did you stop at EWS?

There's a reason I decided to leave my NFO selection behind and go back subs (actually many).

For the record, have you talked to any of these plants and seen the requirements for jobs? I've had many discussions with Wolf Creek while I've been here (career fairs on campus). The enlisted nuke getting out CAN NOT get the same positions the officers can, plain and simple.
+1...good info. My wife and my brother have been doing some research because he's thinking about getting out. It turns out that most plants are hiring people for engineering management positions, which you have to have a college degree to hold...not just power school and at-sea qualifications. Sadly, it's turning out that the plethora of 6-figure jobs promised to young sailors is just a myth and that it's pretty tough to land a great job as an enlisted nuke outside of the Navy.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
You can still get great jobs, if you apply yourself and know how to use your quals to your advantage. Frito-Lay wanted to hire me because I qualified ELT while on the NR1. Of course, you'd have to be willing to move to KS to take that job as well.

Another things many people neglect is they think getting the generic BSAT in nuke engineering technology will land them those management positions. As it turns out, plants are looking for full BS's in engineering (usually mechanical or nuke-though with 6-10 years of plant experience other engineering degrees work) for those positions.

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
Wudgles--> I am a prior enlisted nuke who qualified as far up as an enlisted guy can qualify...

Two quick things:
1) My apologies for assuming you knew nothing of the NUKE life.
2) When talking about "life in X community", giving credentials ahead of time helps everyone out.

I was selected sailor of the year at my command and received all EPs as an E-6. I finished #1 in my class through all nuke schools. I finished #1 in my class through all nuke schools.

Not to throw salt on a wound, just giving my honest opinion: I would imagine that the STA-21 board thought your application package read "FUTURE SUB/NUKE OFFICER" all over it. Add in the 4.0 GPA in a technical major, I can see why the NUKE bubbas are probably going to snag you from doing what you really want to. Hopefully, you'll be able to pull some miracle out of your ass and dodge it. It's not impossible, but I've only seen one person do it (my previously mentioned buddy).

On the upside, at least you're not going straight SWO, which in my uneducated and inexperienced opinion would be a worse choice than NUKE (same miserable hours for the most part [non-academic] with much less compensation for it).

Good luck to all the FY'11 middies, both in service selection and not getting hosed by IRR.