• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2003 IS closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhollin1

I just got back from doing the PRT. In a conversation about OCS my recruiter mentioned that 2003 IS closed to EVERYTHING except Nuke. This is very disappointing. I was hoping that there might be one slot open for me.

Pain...is weakness leaving the body

grouch

Sorry about that man. Hang in there 04 is just around the corner. Do you know when FY04 starts?

ghost_ttu

If we are talking about pilot slots they are already issuing pilot slots for FY04. My recruiter said the numbers they received are 46 pilot slots FY04. They have yet to say how many slots per recruiter. That is just what I have heard. I would be interested to hear what others have heard.

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

rhollin1

I'm not sure about specific designations. He said that all slots are closed for '03 (except Nuke) and that they are starting to fill '04 slots. I am guessing, but I think '04 starts Oct 1.

JayManC

got that right webb, theyll say its closed but then a qualified applicant comes along with that age req creeping up on them and POOF magic happens to create a spot for them

<insert something witty here:>

sonnyb

Isn't possible to be given an OCS start date in 03(pior to Oct1) but be considered an 04 candidate because the graduation date occurs DURING the 04 fiscal year. So it's still possible to get an OCS date as early as July-August of next year if you send in your app. asap.

rhollin1

This is all coming from my recruiter. He said that if he submitted my application today and I was accepted say, within two weeks that I wouldn't go until the earliest, Oct '03. Now who's to say I get bumped up several times due to candidates not going or failing to meet the requirments after getting a date? That I'm sure is possible. He told me about a month ago that I would probably go sometime around July or August. Between then and now those two months have been filled with the exception of Nuke.

JayManC

Yes it is possible to get an '03 spot because of age, however most of the applicants do not fall into this category. I however, being 28 would IF I weren't prior Navy. He says that since I am prior Navy the age thing doesn’t really apply because they waive it.

BONE77

Hey Rhollin, or anybody else, I THINK that waiver applies to prior military, not just navy. Anybody know for sure??????????

cman

Here is the deal on how FY works. Sonnyb and rhollin got the right idea. When you talk about FY 03 slots vs. FY 04 slots, the thing that makes the difference is when you will be commissioned, and not when you are accepted for OCS or when you are to begin OCS. When Oct 1st rolled around 20 something days ago the wheels for FY 04 began to turn even though it's still 2002. To get a FY 03 slot, you would have to begin OCS no later than early Sept. of 03 which would put you at a Dec. 03 graduation (just before the Christmas break). The next class to graduate will be in Jan. 04, thus they would be FY 04. In addition to that, everyone needs to remember that the selction process is a rolling one. To say that a FY 03 is closed for a particular designator dosen't mean that they won't be accepting applicants anytime before 2004. I think some people have that impression, but it's not the case. People come on this board and post things like "hey, just heard that FY 03 is closed out." No ****, look at the dates that most everyone recently accepted has received. Those that have been accepted since June and July all have OCS report dates sometime in or near fall 03. The point I'm trying to make is this: for most people the wait between the time they are accepted and the time they report for OCS is about a year. That's been the case for sometime now. Even people that were selected way back in 2000 and 2001 were having to wait at least 6 or 7 months on average. So don't pay any attention to reports of FY this or that being closed. If you're selected today, you're most likely going to be leaving around Oct. 03 making you a FY 04 selection.

C

rhollin1

The way my recruiter explained it was like this. He said you are FY "whatever" according to the date you start. So if you start in September 2003, then you are FY '03. If you start in October 2003 then you are FY '04. I don't think it has anything to do with when you are commissioned. I think when they say you are FY '03 or '04 they are talking about the slot you fill. We all know that there is a new class every two weeks and sometimes every week. I'm not sure about your statement cman, when you say that they will accept applicants when a designation is closed for a certain year. For example I had SWO down as my 2nd choice and he told me that I couldn't put that down because Tennessee said to not submit ANY packages for that designation. I am assuming that if I were accepted today that I wouldn't go to OCS until October '04. So that tells me that '03 is closed for SWO.

JayManC

okay i might be off the mark on this one, but im hearing too many different possibities for designation. 1 is that slots are announced ahead of time from TN and divied up amongst recruiters, ie that they have quotas and are trying to push for less desirable (harder to fill)designators. then another one is that x number of slots is x number of slots and whoever gets em....gets em. that being said if various NRDs are alloted so many slots per designation wouldnt it make sense to check with another NRD to see maybe if they could put you in one that you want?
i guess in the scheme of things the NRDs really have no say it all comes back to TN

<insert something witty here:>

ryan77

Originally posted by cman
When you talk about FY 03 slots vs. FY 04 slots, the thing that makes the difference is when you will be commissioned, and not when you are accepted for OCS or when you are to begin OCS

Hey I was under the impression that your start date determines what fiscal year you're in. Meaning if you go anytime before Oct 1 2003, you'll be FY03. I've never heard of anything goverment related which is dependant on the calendar year. A significant number of candidates don't graduate with the class they begin with so I'd be suprised if the Navy is able to allocate slots based on graduation dates. I'm going 20 Sept and am FY03.

I hope people don't get discouraged from applying when they hear rumors about fiscal years or designators being full/almost full. By all means, apply!

ghost_ttu

That sucks that I have to move to Philly

Originally posted by Michael Webb
Each recruiting district is allotted a certain number of slots, but when all there's are filled, it doesn't mean someone else applying in their district is SOL. BUT, they do start becoming picky then. My recruiter, probably the ONLY honest recruiter in the Navy, said typically Kansas has an ABUNDANCE of pilot applicants, we are just a very aviation oriented state, ie Cessna, Boeing, Raytheon, Learjet...hell...everyone knows how to fly. What he said they typically do is put in applications to fill up other NRD's quotas. Said there's a recruiting district up by Philadelphia that couldn't meet their quota if it was raining pilots.

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

Status
Not open for further replies.