• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2-seater

mattr

Why do the Marine Corps jets only consist of 1-seaters, or am I missing something?

The thought of having another guy in there to talk to or some **** seems nice and the fact that you have to work as a team also...assuming it's because of cost factor?:confused:

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
You are missing something...like the 2 seat hornets in the fleet...true there aren't a ton of them but they are there.

If you want someone to talk to then go helo they all have copilots...

BOMBSonHAWKEYES

pilot
I was under the assumption that there were more f18 2 seaters and EA6Bs out there than harriers and single seat hornets, but i've been wrong before

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I was under the assumption that there were more f18 2 seaters and EA6Bs out there than harriers and single seat hornets, but i've been wrong before

Hell I could be wrong, the proportion could be along the lines of what you said, I am not sure what the numbers are...

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
According to "Aviation Week and Space Technology" Source Book from the beginning of the year, the Marine Corps have the following numbers:

97 two seat hornets
20 prowlers

186 single seat hornets (106 alpha's and 80 charlies)

I was under the impression the super hornets were only for the Navy?

Super hornets are for the navy only. The Marines only have a,c, and d models

MarineAir

Future Naval Aviator
I think the Corps has a few 2 seat harriers to train harrier pilots. But they are only in training squadrons. Not in the fleet. Any Harrier drivers want to verify this?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The thought of having another guy in there to talk to or some **** seems nice...

It's nice because we NFOs are all naturally real talkative and chat a lot about nothing in general. Except of course, when the pilot has something really important to do...then we pipe down, count circuit breakers and read the news over the jet's internet connection.

Yup, that's all we're good for...conversation.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the Corps has a few 2 seat harriers to train harrier pilots. But they are only in training squadrons. Not in the fleet. Any Harrier drivers want to verify this?

They all belong to the FRS, save for one at Pax River

mattr

It's nice because we NFOs are all naturally real talkative and chat a lot about nothing in general. Except of course, when the pilot has something really important to do...then we pipe down, count circuit breakers and read the news over the jet's internet connection.

Yup, that's all we're good for...conversation.

:icon_wink you knoww it...

obviously I didn't mean it that way, but if that's how it came off..sorry!

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
JetJunkie said:
2 seat (F) model adds FastFAC / FAC(A) mission to the "E" model.... something that was apparently pioneered for the Navy in the F-14 with the then recently added role of "Bombcat/FLIRcat" with LANTRIN during Allied Force (they sent VF-41 RIOs to Marine FAC school to learn the art of FAC(A) according to the book Aces High).

Marines use D model for that specific reason.

Super Hornet, in addition to F-14 squadrons, is replacing "C" model squadrons that currently have no NFO's. Plus i'd imagine that the "E" model (single seat) would have lil' bit more gas.. but i'll defer that to somebody who actually flies it.
This all makes sense. I thought Superbugs were only replacing Tomcat squadrons, and that C's would last until the JSF came in.

If anyone knows more, I'd love to know. :)

airwinger

pilot
In prowlers, the ECMO mafia runs things so we pilots sit in corner eating bananas till they let us go play with the stick