• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1911A1–> Norfolk in August of 1944: what units were there?

Apologies if this isn’t the right forum. I have an old 1911A1 which according to research (Clawson’s book) was shipped to Norfolk on August 21, 1944.

I was wondering if there’s a way to find out what squadrons could have been stationed at Norfolk that month, and ideally a newly formed squadron which might have been issued sidearms.

I know there’s no way for sure to know where the gun went, it’s just sort of a fun little research project and when I’m feeble-minded and pass this on to my son, I’ll be able to concoct some sort of story of how it was issued to George Bush or something. So I’ve got that going for me.

Thanks in advance.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did all aircrew carry a 1911? I thought .38s were more common.

Did all aircrew carry a 1911? I thought .38s were more common.

Just one example, but I think the .45s were meant for frontline guys, the victory revolver (S&W Model 10) was preferred by some guys, who traded or did whatever cool stuff you could do back then to get a .38 revolver instead of the 45. Or maybe a aviator got to pick?

Anyway, I probably should have just asked how to find out what units were at NAS Norfolk in Sept of 1944, since I’m high jacking my own thread now! I just think it would be cool to know what squadrons were there in Sept of ‘44 or so.

Edit: I should add that Bush did in fact a Victory Revolver (https://www.guns.com/news/2018/12/0...dent-george-h-w-bushs-service-revolver-photos). In case sarcasm didn’t come through on my original post.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I’ll see what I can dig up. More than likely a M1911A1 would have gone to a shore patrol or similar unit rather than an aviation unit.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
So, was the weapon shipped to NAS Norfolk, AirLant Norfolk, NB Norfolk, or just “Norfolk?” If it was AirLant the simple answer is that it probably went to a VPB squadron, but in a quick internet search I have found 58 different squadrons (of all types) that passed through NAS Norfolk in 1944 and AirLant was their last stop for any logistic and training needs before shipping out. To make matters worse, a lot of the VP/VPB/Scouting squadrons were sent around as detachments all over hell and gone!

Thanks! I left Clawson’s book at work, but it was not AIRLANT. I’m pretty sure it was “NAS Norfolk”, but I’ll double check.

I did read that just about the squadrons passed through Norfolk…

Looks like Ithaca shipped a thousand or two to Naval supply depot, Norfolk,Va. On August 21 1944, and mine is in that lot.

Yeah, I get that it could have gone to any type of unit. I was just thinking if I could nail down a squadron that was forming up or something it would be fun to build a model or buy a patch or something.