• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

18 Oct 03 OCS class

Status
Not open for further replies.

slabicro

Helo wife
I am new to air warriors and wondered how many wives/girlfriends/signifcant others out there have someone going in to the 18 Oct 03 class? I am anxious and nervous about all of it but I know it will be fine. My husband (Slabman) was in the Air Force when we got married but I hear Navy life is a little different. I would love to meet some of the people that will be going through what I will be!
glasses_125.gif

JenniH

Jennifer
I don't know much about AF life. My husband is in the final weeks of OCS and so far, I love the Navy life. We have 2 young children and we moved to Pensacola so we would all be together. I'm glad we did and would recommend it if you could do that. You never know exactly how long you will end up in a place and it's been nice to visit him during that 1st month when they don't get any liberty. And now he gets weekend liberty and can come home. I don't know of any others starting in october, but there are a lot of ladies on the board who can give you a lot of info too. Good luck!

Jennifer

And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Phillipians 4:7

www.Fly-Navy.com

slabicro

Helo wife
Thanks. There is no way I can move to be with him until May. I am too close to being done with graduate school! It would be so stupid of me! But, I hope to hear from some others with good advice. Thanks again.

Kathy

Reservist Wife
Contributor
slabicro - I've added you to the "Private Spouses Corner" section. There are quite a few of us on here!
icon_smile.gif

DevilDucksGirl

SNA Wife- Advanced Helos
Hello-

Welcome to the boards!! My fiance (husband to be next month actually!!!
bouncy_125.gif
) finished up OCS in late May, and is about to start API. I was in a similar position as you, but with a job. I am from Ohio and lived there all of my 25 years of life, but decided to give up a great job, making great money to move to Pensacola and be with my fiance. I won't lie and tell you it has been easy- because I have had a ton of struggles getting here and even since being here! I left my family, job, and friends, but with all of that said- I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy that I made that 1000 mile move! I don't think I would be happy with all of that back in Ohio- with my fiance here in Florida. Three months doesn't seem long- but when you are only talking to him once a week for the first 4 weeks- it seems like an eternity.

Don't get me wrong- finish school!
graduate_125.gif
I'm just saying I was love struck
hearts_125.gif
and needed to be with him! After dating for 2.5 years and being used to having him around- it was hard for us to seperate for that time. I know it is inevitable- those dreaded 6 month deployments
indifferent_125.gif
but- it will be easier living in 'our' place, being around 'our' things, and surrounded by 'our' friends and knowing when he comes home, I don't have to catch a plane ride to meet him in some far off place- he will come 'HOME!' I think that is what did it for me!
propeller_125.gif

Good luck to you!
clover_125.gif
There are a few of us on here- like Kathy said, the 'private spouses corner' will be a lot busier than here- but if you ever need anything or have any questions, let us know! We'd all be glad to help! Welcome aboard!!
spin_125.gif

Heather

Supporting my Ducky in the Navy

Supporting my Ducky in the Navy

slabicro

Helo wife
Thank you all for the answers already
bouncy_125.gif

Heather, Best wishes on the upcoming marriage! Fortunately, my husband will only be 4-5 hours drive from me while in OCS. We live in Florida. It will suck regardless but I know in the end it will all be worth it. Can't wait to find out more about this whole Navy thing

Renee

slabicro

Helo wife
Jennifer and all actually!
Tell me more about the time they get off during OCS? You said seeing him that first month when they don't have liberty. Is that just for a few hours with others around? Is it planned time that they know about or last minute? Sorry I will have tons of questions!
thanks
Renee
banghead_125.gif

Kathy

Reservist Wife
Contributor
Renee,

I wasn't in Pensacola while my boyfriend was going through OCS, so I can't answer all of your questions about liberty. I believe the only time you can see him during that first month is on Sundays at church (Jennifer can verify but since she has a newborn at home with her, it may take a little while!).

Christmas will fall in the middle of your husband's time at OCS and he can take 2 weeks off during that time. You should also have the opportunity to attend a Dining Out with him at some point during OCS. Other than that, hopefully his class will secure at 4th week and then you can just drive to see him!
icon_smile.gif

Kathy

JenniH

Jennifer
Kathy is right about the Sunday's. They will get to go to chapel on Sun mornings from 8am to 10am and you can hang out in the fellowship hall during that time...along with the other officer candidates. That's for the first 4 weeks and then they should be secured for liberty on the following weekends (if their class passes the 4th week inspection--if not, another 2 weeks). They'll have Fri evenings, then have to be back for Sat until about 2 pm, and then they'l have to report back on Sun around 4pm. The Dining Out (a semiformal dinner) weekend should give them a full 48 hrs of liberty.

Welcome to the board!!

megan620

EA-6B ECMO/IA Wife
Renee,
Welcome! My boyfriend has been sone with OCS for about 2 months and is waiting to start up API. I live in Cincinnati, OH and I am in graduate school, so moving is not really an option for the next year and a half. It is very tought, but he is worth it! Just try to make it up for the dine out during OCS and once he secures...I wish I was only 4-5 hours away, but I am a 12 hour or more drive...so just remember it could be farther! OCS will be challenging, but I think most of the spouses/girlfriends will agree that they have grown closer to their significant other just by the absence and having time to see how much they mean to you, and vice versa. Good luck, and anytime you need someone to chat to, anyone here would be more than happy to listen!
Welcome again!
Megan

slabicro

Helo wife
Megan,
Thanks a lot for the encouraging words. I have been constantly thinking of ways I can move with him sooner
brokenheart_125.gif
I finish up my graduate program in May 04 but with my clinical time I could do it in Pensacola and technically live there sooner. Problem is that I hear the navy won't pay for us to move until after his API. So, he won't finish OCS (God willing it all goes without a problem) until late january or early February since the holidays break it up some. By then I would be in the middle of a semester and not able to make the move. The best part about this whole thing is knowing others out there are supportive and if most people survive so will we!
icon_smile.gif

Renee

megan620

EA-6B ECMO/IA Wife
Renee,
No problem! That's what we are all here for...to help each other through OCS and after! I know that airwarriors really helped me out when he was in OCS, because I knew that what I heard from him was normal, and it also gave me a place to kind of vent, so I wasn't an emotional wreck when he was able to call me (once he was secured)! Good luck on the graduate program...I finish mine in Dec 04, so I can relate to your concerns! FYI...you can use to private spouses corner if you want to post, but not have the whole forum available to read your posts!
Megan

Status
Not open for further replies.