• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

152 vs Warrior?

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
The gouge I got a hold of (from a pilot with over 5,000 T-34 hours) was that since the T-34 A/B had a somewhat unstable tail, they put the ventrals in to make the C more stable in slower regimes of flight... which could be anything from spins to hammerheads. Essentially, just making the aircraft less squirly in slower maneuvers. If it was specifically implemented for spin turn rate, and thats what the sleeping pill says, then thats the correct gouge. my mistake.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Come on fellow studs...aren't you reading the NATOPS?

The strakes and ventral fins "were put in place to limit the aircrafts spin turn rate."

I was waiting for someone to chime in w/ that one. 5 for General Knowledge and Procedures.

For what it's worth, invertedflyer, the Charlie really is a different animal, especially w/ that noise maker on the front. There's a bunch of stuff that you may do in a piston A/B that you can't do in the Charlie because of it's oil system. I'm not saying the Ventral Fins don't help w/ other flight dynamics, but the prime reason they're there is for the spin.

White_Male

Go down the runway on just one wheel??? What does that mean?

When you land in a crosswind, you usually try to have the wing down on the side that the wind is coming from. If all goes as planned the main wheel on that side will touch down first, then the other main, then the nose.

I don't think it necessarily needs to be in a crosswind, but try to hold the airplane at that phase of flight where just one wheel is touching the ground. It can be done by controlling the airplane and changing the power to meet your demands. It can be done on takeoff. It is important that you have a long enough runway.

To any students who may be reading this. Ask your instructor about it before you do anything please.

Intruder Driver, I understand now. Thanks for the comments.

plc67

pilot
Having instructed in both the 150/152 and the Warrior I like the Cessnas because they made you pay attention to the ball. Stall out of slow flight in a 150/152 in unbalanced flight and you were going to spin. Do the same thing in a Warrior and it was pretty much a non event. One surprise spin made the student much more attentive to proper rudder control.

KSUFLY

pilot
Having instructed in both the 150/152 and the Warrior I like the Cessnas because they made you pay attention to the ball. Stall out of slow flight in a 150/152 in unbalanced flight and you were going to spin. Do the same thing in a Warrior and it was pretty much a non event. One surprise spin made the student much more attentive to proper rudder control.

Come on...in order to spin a 150/152 you have to hold the rudder in to get it to spin. You might get some wing dip and a good break, but it's far from a spin.

plc67

pilot
I beg your pardon sir, but I have spun the 150s many times, years ago, but they will spin quite handily. The 172 was difficult to get into a spin, more like a spiral actually, but not so the 150s.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Badger,

It appears to me what you want to do is 1. build (logbook) time, and 2. improve your aeronautical decision making/experience. Aircraft type is irrelevant. If you're looking for a plane that will most closely replicate a 34C, ou're wasting your time, unless you have well over $100/hr to rent a club T-34A/B, or complex single of some sort. Neither the C-150/52 or Piper series come close. What they will do is provide cheap (relatively) time.

What would probably benefit you the most is take that C-152 (or the slowest, cheapest plane) and go on as many long cross country flight to unfamiliar airports as you can afford. It's my opinion (which doesn't count for squat) that cross countries provide the most bang for the buck when it comes to making solo decisions about WX, pattern entries and using enroute facilities (ATC, FSS, FlightWatch, etc) You'll get more practice flying patterns in primary that you ever wanted. I know of ton of guys that fly wonderfully, scripted patterns, but take them to an unfamiliar airport with multiple runways, dense traffic, or even an unfamiliar controller, and they become hopelessly overwhelmed. You can alleviate some of that anxiety in primary by putting around at 100 kts in your your C-152 under less stressful conditions.

As previously stated, the Navy will teach you everything you need to know about flying, there's no need to try to teach yourself on your dime.

Lastly, I used to fly Vargas at Barnstorming Adventures in Palomar, CA for their "Top Dog" (gay I know) air combat school. What does a helo guy know about ACM...nothing, but neither did the customers. It was limited to 60 deg bank anyway, all high/low maneuvering. But, the plane was alot of fun to fly. They're very pricey for a two seater though.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's my opinion (which doesn't count for squat) that cross countries provide the most bang for the buck when it comes to making solo decisions about WX, pattern entries and using enroute facilities (ATC, FSS, FlightWatch, etc) You'll get more practice flying patterns in primary that you ever wanted. I know of ton of guys that fly wonderfully, scripted patterns, but take them to an unfamiliar airport with multiple runways, dense traffic, or even an unfamiliar controller, and they become hopelessly overwhelmed. You can alleviate some of that anxiety in primary by putting around at 100 kts in your your C-152 under less stressful conditions.

Very accurate, in my opinion. Good gouge.