• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

12 Dead, 31 Wounded @ FT HOOD

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Am I sadistic? Probably. But I think there are much more creative and painful punishments than death by firing squad, lethal injection, or whatever he would be subject to.

Sadistic? Dunno.

What I do know, is I think less of Middle Eastern legal systems (and consequentially their cultures) because they encourage the kind of nonsense you seem to perscribe above. It is exactly the zero-sum, feud-fueling mentality that keeps that part of the world from playing well with others, and as appealing as it is in the moment, we don't need it here.

Does the legal system really exist to make victims' families feel better?

MasterBates

This guy, barring some crazy conspiracy to frame him (yeah fucking right) is at a MINIMUM guilty of being a mass murderer, and multiple cases of attempted murder.

While in uniform, firing at soldiers. Not some dude he had a beef with that happened to be in the Army.

While I am not a lawyer (but I've paid for a good chunk of ones boat) I think Treason is not too far off, and there are a bunch of other UCMJ charges he could be nailed with.

He gets his day in court most likely. And when he's convicted, be it by civilians or the Army, I say death. Why should we pay to let this man, who appears to have brought Jihad to the Army, to live in a hospital for the rest of his life. Death is too good for him, but letting him live sends the wrong message.

We really need to bring back public execution.

hawg53

Death for the major

I really do not care how he is executed as long as he is buried covered in pigs blood and entrails. Can't get into heaven that way.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Sadistic? Dunno.

What I do know, is I think less of Middle Eastern legal systems (and consequentially their cultures) because they encourage the kind of nonsense you seem to perscribe above. It is exactly the zero-sum, feud-fueling mentality that keeps that part of the world from playing well with others, and as appealing as it is in the moment, we don't need it here.

Does the legal system really exist to make victims' families feel better?

Eddie, I do not seriously condone torturing this man, at least not in the methods I prescribed. The point behind my post was that death is too easy of an out for him.

To answer your question about the point of the legal system, the point of the legal system is simply to determine guilt. It is the responsibility of the penal system to reform criminals. The point of prison is not to punish individuals, it's to correct their behavior (i.e. "Department of Corrections"). Whether or not I agree with this approach, that's what the system is in place to do.

If it were up to me, the guy would have to rot in a prison cell the rest of his paralyzed life. I can't think of a more harsh sentence than that.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Eddie, I do not seriously condone torturing this man, at least not in the methods I prescribed. The point behind my post was that death is too easy of an out for him.

To answer your question about the point of the legal system, the point of the legal system is simply to determine guilt. It is the responsibility of the penal system to reform criminals. The point of prison is not to punish individuals, it's to correct their behavior (i.e. "Department of Corrections"). Whether or not I agree with this approach, that's what the system is in place to do.

If it were up to me, the guy would have to rot in a prison cell the rest of his paralyzed life. I can't think of a more harsh sentence than that.

And waste more money on this piece of scum? I agree a simple death is too good for him but he should not be allowed to live when convicted. JMO

Now I’m off to my corner to keep quiet again.

yak52driver

Contributor
And I'm for it being very public for all traitors. There's lots of space on the national mall for a gallows. make it loud and clear what happens if you're a traitor.

That has my vote. If scum sees that there is a very real consequence to their actions, maybe they will think twice.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
And waste more money on this piece of scum? I agree a simple death is too good for him but he should not be allowed to live when convicted. JMO

Now I’m off to my corner to keep quiet again.
It typically costs more money to execute someone than to throw them in prison for life.

Besides, since when does money factor into what the most just punishment is?

I would agree that life in prison would be worse if he spent it in solitary confinement and/or on a reduced diet, but in a civvy prison that's most likely not the type of life he would lead.

That has my vote. If scum sees that there is a very real consequence to their actions, maybe they will think twice.
You would think so, but there is little to no correlation between states that do/don't employ the death penalty and crime rate for crimes that warrant execution.

When people commit crimes, they are typically either 1) not planning on getting caught or 2) acting so emotionally irrational that they aren't thinking of the consequences. In either case, it really doesn't matter what the penalty is because the criminal isn't thinking about it.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
'Reopened' .... now that we've had 'further review' and know who/what 'Major' Hassan is/was ....

'Course some of us always did know ... we just didn't take the PC side of the question and didn't have to have a ruling by the Supreme Court to figure it out.

Stirring the pot?? I think not ...

Reality check for some on this website?? I think so ...

A quick & dirty refresher:

Dallas Morning News: Military rejects bid by Ft. Hood shooter to bar public from hearing

Wikipedia: Fort Hood Shooting

And for those pathetic, always reliable, 'doubters' on this website: ever heard of this guy??? Anwar al-Awlaki

Sad ... truly sad.

The man deserves to die, no doubt, whatever you want to label him.

So what's the point of your post? It's obviously not just a little update on the case. It wasn't just to 'stir the pot', you said it wasn't so that must be true. You are never disingenuous about that kind of stuff. Are you really so eager to give him a particular label that you denigrate other members of the board, yet again, who might dare to disagree with you? Does it make you feel 'big' or something? Give you an ego boost? As big and as bold as the font you use? Label him whatever the fuck you want, though you might want to think about including Charles Whitman, William Kreutzer, Jr. and Seung-Hui Cho along with many others to your list.

He will never be free again, whether he spends life behind bars or it's ended in a federal execution chamber. And at the end of the day, that is really all that matters to me.

bluesig1

sure thing
None
If Hasan Akbar can be sentenced to death, I don't think it's too far of a stretch to say so will the Maj.

ajalali

pilot
Heeey everybody,

A good friend from school is the (now) fiance of SSG Patrick Zeigler, a survivor from the Fort Hood shooting. Immediately following the shooting in November, she left school and has spent nearly every day by SSG's side. From my understanding, he was shot 4 times, including once in the head. I've never met him, but just to give you an idea of how devoted and committed this Hero is to his country, I've copied and pasted an excerpt from their blog which gives updates to family/friends:

"Patrick was/is largely paralyzed on half of his body, so we know all about paralyzation making a person feel very cold. Patrick has a lot of physical and medical conditions that cause him pain, make him uncomfortable in a variety of ways, and alter his needs. Because of this, he has a "profile" with the Army that essentially says he does not have to adhere to any of the same dress regulations and physical requirements that other soldiers must. Patrick is allowed to wear civilian clothes and shoes at all times. But he doesn't. Every morning, Patrick insists on putting on his full uniform. His left foot and ankle remain entirely paralyzed so his boot is very difficult and very painful to put on. It is also a great challenge to walk in. He is allowed to just wear his tennis shoes with his brace. But he won't. He insists on the boots. No matter how painful something is, no matter how uncomfortable, no matter how hot or cold it is, or how long it takes us to get his uniform on or off (and trust me, it is often very uncomfortable for him and often takes a very long time to achieve), Patrick insists on presenting himself as a soldier and as a leader. When I know he is struggling or uncomfortable in his ACU's or in his boots, I ask him why he won't just wear a t-shirt instead or his tennis shoes in place of the boots. I always get the same very stern answer, "I'm in the United States Army, Jessica! I'm still a soldier". Patrick never seeks attention for his wounds and never takes a short cut or the easy path because he is allowed to or because he is wounded. He would rather sit and be cold in his uniform than be seen showing any weakness or asking for special conditions."

Truly impressive and motivating. SSG was slated to go to Army OCS days later.

I'm gonna ask her for permission to post the link to their blog on here -- I don't think it'll be an issue, but I just want to make sure..

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
It's hard for me to believe how many psycho-fundamentalist killers are around, of any variation. One would think that, somehow, humanity would show some evolution towards reason, towards a Platonic good. (Clearly I spend too much time in the library.)

I'm sure that some family members will feel greater closure with a decision for the death penalty; either way, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets killed in prison. Guys like that don't get to live out a life sentence.