• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

100th Anniversary of Naval Air Firearms?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Has anyone seen hide or hair of any special firearms for the 100th?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Well ... there certainly SHOULD be a re-issue of one of these:

navycolt1911.jpg

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Well ... there certainly SHOULD be a re-issue of one of these:

navycolt1911.jpg

Exactly what I want. Nothing fancy just an appreciation of our past. Every red blooded American should own a 1911, hell, I only own one Colt 1911 in .45 ACP and feel substandard in weaker moments.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Before I digress into John Moses Browning related questions, let me make at least part of my post on topic: If there isn't one, why not? A limited run/group purchase from a reputable manufacturer isn't all that difficult to set up. Hell, 2d MEB jumped on the Para bandwagon and did an ungodly ugly doublestack 1911 last year, limited to a few thousand pistols. Given the refined status of the fine gentlemen and ladies who peruse this site, one would think that it would be an easy task to come up with something much more appropriate.

Now that that's out of the way...

A friend and I were talking the other day about Browning, Tesla, and a few others, all inventors. The main topic was why we don't see more inventors like these people today. Is it just that corporate and government entities have snatched them all up? Maybe there's more of a glut of 'pure' engineers today, and some would-be inventors of this class get lured away into it? Maybe we're just becoming too stupid/lazy/complacent/etc in this country? All of the above?

Sure, we've got a lot of people coming up with crap out there, but Browning invented machines that are, with some tweaks here and there, are still being used today. Ditto for Tesla (who's biography is fascinating, by the way).

Sorry for the threadjack. I've been drinking...

MasterBates

I think the Brownings and Teslas have been legistlated and lawsuited out of business.

The startup costs for anything would be astronomical. Can you imagine trying to bring out the "Tesla Polyphase Illumination and Power System" today?

That's what we currently know as normal AC Power distribution. Imagine the regulation he would face, and just the compliance costs.

Now add on, the family of the first asshole who electrocuted themselves family or had an AD and shot their balls off would sue them into the next century.

Tesla is my personal hero. I have a TESLA shirt. It's like those "CHE" shirts the hipsters have, but it has his picture and the name on it.

TeslaTshirt.jpg

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Without turning a perfectly respectable firearms thread into a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI cesspool, I'll say that this is just one indicator of the stagnation of our country. Look at how today's rich people act as patrons: They just dump money at essentially making people feel better and reenforcing their sense of entitlement, vice supporting someone to build some seriously cool shit.

I think one way to get away with it today would be to build Tesla's death ray FIRST, THEN follow up with AC power distribution. That way, anyone who tried to fuck with you could be dealt with appropriately.

MasterBates

True, but the powers that be have more or less made it illegal for private citizens to develop new weapons.

I'm sure the ATF would go batshit have a no knock raid, and my life would become a less funny version of "Harold and Kumar escape from Guantanamo" if they caught wind of me developing a directed energy weapon past the theoretical on paper stage.

Sent via my HTC EVO 4G

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
A friend and I were talking the other day about Browning, Tesla, and a few others, all inventors. The main topic was why we don't see more inventors like these people today. Is it just that corporate and government entities have snatched them all up? Maybe there's more of a glut of 'pure' engineers today, and some would-be inventors of this class get lured away into it? Maybe we're just becoming too stupid/lazy/complacent/etc in this country? All of the above?

Video games. And iPods.

Back then, people didn't have a jillion leisure-time distractions that would suck them in for hours or demand continual learning and re-learning of systems, steps, and processes. You could sit at home and do nothing or invent something. Now, we can suckle at the teats of 24 hour news outlets, play Angry Birds, and download any of 1,000s of magazines on our e-readers.

As a slightly brighter postscript, there are some wildly inventive people out there making things; they show up on Kickstarter.com and various sites of that ilk from time to time.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not to mention they are the people who are designing those iPods and e-Readers.

banana380

pilot
... If there isn't one, why not? A limited run/group purchase from a reputable manufacturer isn't all that difficult to set up...

I'd be down for that... Have someone design a symbol for the coinciding centennials and make it look all spiffy... I'd buy it in a heartbeat.