• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1001 questions (and answers) concerning BDCP

m26

Contributor
Was looking over the BDCP contract and saw this little nugget:

3. I understand that unless I am selected as a Naval Flight Officer (NFO) trainee. I will not be entitled to ship household goods and/or dependents to Officer Candidate School at government expense.

Any NFO contracts done this? I wonder why the special treatment for NFOs, and why you would ship the belongings to Newport anyway.

Topper Harley

Good NEWS everyone!
Just a sad heads up to anyone sending their packet for the boards. I was just informed by my officer recruiter that the Navy is closing the BDCP for 2 years.

SC-NY-88

FNG
None
Was looking over the BDCP contract and saw this little nugget:

Any NFO contracts done this? I wonder why the special treatment for NFOs, and why you would ship the belongings to Newport anyway.

Shooting from the hip, maybe thats a hold over from when OCS was down in pcola??? I think I read somewhere that only NFOs get PCS orders to API or something so maybe that's tied into it? I think it be funny as hell if any of us showed up at the sea wall with a U-haul full of TV, computer, couch, bed, dresser etc. :D

m26

Contributor
That actually makes perfect sense! But it's still in the contract... Hmmm, how to take advantage???

You're right though. Probably would be quite a scene. Also probably wouldn't end well.

SC-NY-88

FNG
None
Speaking of the contract, did you ever watch "Wings of Gold"? Is that the video narrated by the guy from the twilight zone, from the 1970's?

m26

Contributor
I don't recall doing so, no. Hope they don't take away my OCS spot! :icon_ooh:

Stalin

To answer some of your questions, I applied for DA in October (from about 9 months away from graduation) and got a BDCP slot for Aug 2011 graduation

SC-NY-88

FNG
None
Anyone know if you still get BAH and BAS if you didn't go away to school/live at home with parents? Going to ask my recruiter next time I see him, but I figured I'd throw it out there incase anyone knew or was interested.

blarged

ready
Anyone know if you still get BAH and BAS if you didn't go away to school/live at home with parents?

For BDCP you receive BAH based on the zip code of the school you are attending. If you live at home for free, live in an apartment with friends, or pay a mortgage on a house, doesn't matter to the Navy.

GrandFromage

Just to clear it up, you get paid on the zip code where you are living at, not where your school is. I got screwed over on this because I attend school in DC, but commute from the Baltimore suburbs...couple hundred dollar difference.

blarged

ready
Just to clear it up, you get paid on the zip code where you are living at, not where your school is. I got screwed over on this because I attend school in DC, but commute from the Baltimore suburbs...couple hundred dollar difference.

This must be different depending on the case then. My LES definitely had school zip and when I brought it up my OR at the time said that's the way it is done.

SC-NY-88

FNG
None
"Not real active duty..."

Was on the phone with a DEERS rep on Friday working out some issues, the usual first months bugs. They were having trouble 'locating' me in the system (even though I have my orders and have been paid)and then some woman gets on and tells me I'm "Not real active duty" that I'm only active duty in the sense that I get paid so I'm not "entitled" to active duty benefits or an ID card. Now I didn't argue this because at this point I was convinced she was clueless, but I remember reading in my BDCP contract that I'm "ENTITLED to all benefits and privelages commensurate with paygrade..." Am I wrong to assume I am REAL active duty?

Don't get me wrong, I've had no military training and dont belong to a ship or unit per se, but I thought that was the deal with BDCP, for all intents and purposes, we're active duty. Please someone clarify.

GrandFromage

You are real active duty and are entitled to everything...or at least most of it. I went through the same issues tying to get my ID card in my first couple months, and it just takes a while for everything to be processed. Your processor should be trying to push this stuff through, and if he/she isn't, just call and give them friendly reminders.