• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

100 RAF Trainees told "Sorry, but it's just not working out"

81montedriver

pilot
Marine Air is growing, we have *new* squadrons standing up. there is going to be a need to fill cockpits.

I think a more accurate statement is that Marine Air is getting younger. It started earlier this decade with the J-model KC-130 followed by the Osprey. The New Huey is flying and the new Cobra is not far from the fleet. When the JSF and the -53K arrive we will have a relatively young fleet of aircraft compared to the other services.

When the drawdown begins, I can't really predict what will happen other than flight students will find it more competitive to get their wings and those in the fleet will find it harder and harder to get back to the fleet

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Indeed one never would have thought you could be so heavily intoxicated as to "loose" a waffle house... Alas I know a Naval Aviator who has done it...

Between Mustin Beach and downtown anywhere with other SNA/NAs consumption far outshines that of the typical party fraternity.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
That's an understatement.

Without trying to defend a government agencies ability to manage... because quite frankly I think in general government is pretty terrible at doing just about anything...

But is DoD or DoN less skilled at managing 600,000 people than any other organization? That is to say the DoN is a very big organization, could a private firm or other organization do it better, or is it just the nature of the beast?

MasterBates

Let me put it this way:

I have worked for both General Motors (pre-Guberment Motahs) and United Technologies(Pratt & Whitney, Otis, Sikorsky, Hamilton, etc).

They were both GIANT companies.

And they both did manpower management better.

exhelodrvr

pilot
Without trying to defend a government agencies ability to manage... because quite frankly I think in general government is pretty terrible at doing just about anything...

But is DoD or DoN less skilled at managing 600,000 people than any other organization? That is to say the DoN is a very big organization, could a private firm or other organization do it better, or is it just the nature of the beast?

Yes to both.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Saw the Air Force crimes cover talking about them RIF-ing/force retiring/etc-ing some 10k officers. That can't be a good sign. Seems like the navy just takes the AF's horrible ideas and makes them more horrible-er.

I just hope I have enough PIC time to be worth a shit on the outside when I get my "buff colored envelope."

HuggyU2

None
Saw the Air Force crimes cover talking about them RIF-ing/force retiring/etc-ing some 10k officers. That can't be a good sign. Seems like the navy just takes the AF's horrible ideas and makes them more horrible-er.

I really hope the Dept of the Navy personnel system is not as piss poor as the USAF's. I am watching a ton of U-2 experience bailout and/or be shown the door over the course of 1 year. A lot of folks. Many want to stay, but figure it's better to find a good job with 13 months warning than with 5 months. When they find one, they are dots.

Oh,... by the way,... the inter-service transfer program to the U-2 has been terminated.