• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

+1 for a meps style depth failure

RussBow6

Its just a hard one to figure out. I remember doing it and trying to go through the first time and the lady going "ok stop, this is what you do" then I went back and did it again and went through every single one. She told me I passed at one point but dared me to finish it to see how far I could go. It just hard to get it at first glance, then you start freaking out like "holy sh!t I can't see!!!????".

yeah its a very unnerving feeling knowing you have depth and then taking a test thats telling you that you shouldnt even be able to reach out and grab something in front of your face...

euclid83

FS SNA
Yeah I suppose I'll go check the guide out, thanks for letting me hijack temporarily.

Last thing though, even if I pass acuity by quite a bit, will it matter if I'm slightly astigmatic? Just seems odd it'd matter.

From what I understand, if you have 20/20 visual acuity or better there are no refraction standards.

euclid83

FS SNA
They'll find your astigmatism when you have your cyclo exam. What happens from there if you're 20/20, I have no idea.

According to the navy aviation physical standards guide (section 1.6) a refraction exam is not required for 20/20 or better vision. When falling within those standards I assume that, if given a refraction test and the standards have not changed, the results are inconsequential.

Though Im not sure if he found this, I give OttoWrote8 the credit for posting this link in this thread:

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navme...cuments/Waiver Guide - Physical Standards.pdf

nugget61

pilot
According to the navy aviation physical standards guide (section 1.6) a refraction exam is not required for 20/20 or better vision. When falling within those standards I assume that, if given a refraction test and the standards have not changed, the results are inconsequential.

Though Im not sure if he found this, I give OttoWrote8 the credit for posting this link in this thread:

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navme...cuments/Waiver Guide - Physical Standards.pdf

Yeah, the waiver guide is what has me confused - if you read the next paragraph about the cyclo, it says that everyone has to be dilated and checked. I know that it states if you passed the manifest for astigmatism that any showing up in the cyclo doesn't matter. But if they didn't test your manifest (because you were 20/20) and then find out you have an astigmatism, I don't know what happens. I would imagine that they give you a manifest refraction to see how bad the astigmatism is and if it could DQ you. I know I'm hovering right next to the astigmatism limit although I have 20/20, so I'd too like to know what they docs will do.

Lobster

yeah its a very unnerving feeling knowing you have depth and then taking a test thats telling you that you shouldnt even be able to reach out and grab something in front of your face...

Yeah...the scariest part was...oh know now I can't be a pilot...

euclid83

FS SNA
Yeah, the waiver guide is what has me confused - if you read the next paragraph about the cyclo, it says that everyone has to be dilated and checked. I know that it states if you passed the manifest for astigmatism that any showing up in the cyclo doesn't matter. But if they didn't test your manifest (because you were 20/20) and then find out you have an astigmatism, I don't know what happens. I would imagine that they give you a manifest refraction to see how bad the astigmatism is and if it could DQ you. I know I'm hovering right next to the astigmatism limit although I have 20/20, so I'd too like to know what they docs will do.

Yeah, the standard physical guide is a little vague and confusing but in the paragraph for refractive limits it says," If the candidate’s distant visual acuity is 20/20, a manifest refraction is not required." In the paragraph for cycloplegic refraction it says," Due to the effect of lens aberrations with pupil dilation, visual acuity or astigmatic correction, which might disqualify the candidate, should be disregarded if the candidate meets the standards for visual acuity and astigmatism with manifest refraction." Unless my deductive reasoning skills are skewed, that means that if you meet the requirements for visual acuity (20/20 or better) then, by default, you meet the requirements for astigmatism. I could be completely wrong though. If its something you're worried about then maybe you can get your OR to make some phone calls, or maybe we have a flight surgeon in here that could chime in. I am curious as well.

m26

Contributor
I went to MEPS today, and failed depth as well. This link says that DP testing is not required for SNFO, and a quick AW search seems to indicate that I can still do NFO without depth. Anyone who has been in this boat care to comment? I'm a little worried, and after 3 hours of sleep and 6 hours of MEPS I can't really look at my screen long enough to do an exhaustive search...

Unrelated note: MEPS wasn't nearly as bad as I'd feared. SLC MEPS is excellent.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
The depth perception test they use is BS. I failed it and when I got home my OSO had me meet with an optometrist who gave me a different test that I aced. Staring at those circles is like trying to see one of those magic eye paintings to me.

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
Here's the colorblind test I remember:

fuck_the_color_blind.gif

yakboyslim

None
I work at a MEPS (not in medical, in the Navy liaison) and for enlistment, we cannot over-ride the MEPS phys with a civilian one just so a person can get a job. If that was the case then if a person was found dis-qual’d, the he/she can go to a doc to say they are qual’d. I'm not sure how officer boards see it, but for enlistment its a MEPS phys or nothing. The depth perception is tough, that’s why before we send people back to get a depth perception, we explain it to them because the applicants get “confused” about the instructions they are given.

Maybe I'm missing something in what you are saying, but isn't that what waivers are for? I was dq'd at MEPS but got a waiver, and now I'm waiting on final select with cleared medical. I have a friend who dq'd at MEPS and enlisted Marines with a waiver.

Like I said I might be reading your post wrong, but plenty of people get past a MEPS dq. You do have to have one at some point though, even if you fail it, if that's what you mean.