• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1/C Aviation Ashore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farva1

F#@kin "A" Bubba !
pilot
Anyone been to Tinker AFB? I'm heading to VQ-4 this summer. The aircraft are E-6's, not EA-6B's either. My understanding is that these birds are communication links between the commander-in-chief and the strategic bombers. They kind of look like refuelers or commercial airliners. If anyone has any scoop on the squadron or area, let me know. Thanks

U of I MIDN

Phiman

Just wondering what phase you are going on, I am going aviation ashore too, hopefully, and I was curious as to when they would cut my orders.

Farva1

F#@kin "A" Bubba !
pilot
2nd phase Phiman but I think I was the first at my unit in that phase to find out.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
E-6 Mercurys (Boeing 707s) replaced the old C-130 TACAMO aircraft. They used to be kept airborne 24 hours a day to transfer launch order and other messages to SSBNs. That was done with a very low freq. radio wave that required a trailing wire antenna varying in length to over 3000 feet. Today the E-6 is capable of serving as a full spectrum flying command post, as you have heard. That is why they have been moved to Tinker AFB (check out the Tinker Burger, a favorite during x-country stops)where the old Strategic Air Command was headquartered. Now days I believe they are crewed by a multiservice compliment of airmen and just plain senior officer types to make decisions in an emergency. Check out the trailing wire antenna on that thing. It is pretty cool.

beau

Haha!.....coming out to Sooner Land! Hopefully you get to get to fly with them to some fun place for a couple of weeks (they deploy for a couple of weeks at a time. Dont go to Travis AFB, you have to sit on the ramp on alert all day, fun!). I've been up to VQ-4/3 a couple of times but must say its a really small squadron/base as far as the Navy is concerned. Bad enough being with the AF.

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.