• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

DCubi

Hey Everyone,
Looking for the best methods of studying you individuals used, there are so many and i want to condense the material any advice on whats a must?!

mccnavy

Hello, I recently took the ASTB for the first time and I am looking to gather some advice and opinions in order to make an educated decision. I scored a 5,6,6 which qualifies me for pilot/NFO but I understand it isn’t exactly competitive. The rest of my stats are:
Second semester sophomore
Major: Tier 2 Civil Engineering
Cumulative GPA: 3.04 (working on increasing to at least a 3.2 by service selection)
PRT: 98
I am also a female. I am worried about retaking and doing worse but I want to know what other people’s opinions are before I decide on what to do.

maowczykowski1

Hello, I recently took the ASTB for the first time and I am looking to gather some advice and opinions in order to make an educated decision. I scored a 5,6,6 which qualifies me for pilot/NFO but I understand it isn’t exactly competitive. The rest of my stats are:
Second semester sophomore
Major: Tier 2 Civil Engineering
Cumulative GPA: 3.04 (working on increasing to at least a 3.2 by service selection)
PRT: 98
I am also a female. I am worried about retaking and doing worse but I want to know what other people’s opinions are before I decide on what to do.
I would say go ahead and submit. the navy is short on pilots. you never know. if you don't get selected, retest and I recommend a tutor for your next attempt at the test. you'll have three months to study between boards.

maowczykowski1

so I took my ASTB about a month ago, 50 5-8-6
thanks to everyone here for the resources and tutoring.

Math was pretty difficult. the only east questions i had was one DRT problem. the rest of the math i had to know what juels we
I'll try my best to explain this probability question I encountered, I'd appreciate any feedback.
There are 50 males, and 50 females. There was a chart provided that showed how many M & F preferred cars or trucks, and a secondary table that showed how many M & F preferred Ford or Chevy
What was the probability of randomly choosing a girl who liked trucks, in this case was 20/50... and a male who liked Chevy, in this case 20/50.

I solved it as 2/5 * 2/5 = 4/25. I am unsure if my denominator should have been a pool of 50, or 100? Thanks in advance.
this same problem was on my exam.

Julia.cook

Hi all,

First time posting. Long time lurker. Gotta say that this forum helped me a ton so I gotta do my part and contribute. First attempt score: 48 5 7 6. 2nd attempt score: 57 7 9 8

Wanted to share some insight now that the test is still fresh in my head from today. Just know that this is really 2 parts: Studying the material (all of which is on this forum) and how you handle pressure/time. The test is adaptive so you should feel that you aren't doing well throughout.

Math: My toughest subject and it's what I spent the most time on. You should too. Try to cover everything and practice as much as you can. Again, all the material is on this forum. Try every problem, and if you dont get an answer choice then ask yourself if you know how to solve. If not, move on.

Reading: Try to read something technical or challenging often to keep you sharp.

Mech: A lot of concepts. Again, cover everything. Just sit down one weekend and take the entire Physics course on Khan Academy. Massive payoff.

ANIT: Flashcards. This also joined the reading list every evening before bed. Just read them every night for a week and you'll know it.

NATFI: Remember, you're an officer in the navy. You should act like one.

PBM: Try competitive online gaming with headset (I played csgo, warthunder, ace combat, etc..). This should get you used to moving both hands and listening. Also, do stuff leading up to it that you've never done before. Try a new sport or something really challenging. This should help with the pressure part. I'd also go to an old arcade and find a flight stick there because that's what they'll give you.

Remember: It's not about formulas, it's about concepts. Either you know it or your don't. Stay confident and you'll do better than you think.

Hey Question,
So I’m enlisted in the Marine Corps now. And the only scores I need from the ASTB is the AQR and PFAR so s 4,6 do you know what subjects those include? Like do I need to study the math, and mechanical, because I don’t need a OAR score but I’m taking the full test anyways. I just need a 4,6 and the last score I don’t need either.. thank you.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hey Question,
So I’m enlisted in the Marine Corps now. And the only scores I need from the ASTB is the AQR and PFAR so s 4,6 do you know what subjects those include? Like do I need to study the math, and mechanical, because I don’t need a OAR score but I’m taking the full test anyways. I just need a 4,6 and the last score I don’t need either.. thank you.

The ASTB contains the OAR so it’s recommended to study for all sections. I wouldn’t skip the OAR studying portion.

Fable0027

I've got a couple of questions..

Is the AQR score influenced by how well you score on ALL subtests? Including the ANIT and PBM?

Has the spatial perception test been replaced by the UAV test? Is the aviation supplemental test no longer a part of the ASTB?

I notice that some study guides have these tests on them, but nobody talks about them.

Thank you!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Is the AQR score influenced by how well you score on ALL subtests? Including the ANIT and PBM?

Has the spatial perception test been replaced by the UAV test? Is the aviation supplemental test no longer a part of the ASTB?

I notice that some study guides have these tests on them, but nobody talks about them.

Thank you!

Read @NavyOffRec ‘s post

maowczykowski1

Thank you!
as far as I know. AQR is weighed heavily on the math section. PFAR is the aviation section.

hey everyone, first time posting but I just have a quick question and I'm hoping to get some insight on the scoring breakdown... So you for your 1-9 score, does anyone know how those numbers translate from actual correct versus incorrect.

Say I get a 27/30 on the math section, a 25/30 on the reading, and then a 20/30 on the MCT and ANIT... can anyone explain how those raw scores would translate to a composite? Maybe someone who has taken multiple practice tests and then tell me what they were scoring and how they scored on the ASTB. Thanks