• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

jtmedli

pilot
My son just took the ASTB and scored 7/8/8 61, which he (and I) are pretty excited about. He is in NROTC. I've seen a lot on this post regarding scores and how they factor into an OCS package. Any feel for how scores weigh into a set of orders to Pensacola for someone already in NROTC? My recommendation is for him not to retake the ASTB, but his GPA (civil engineering) is not stellar (2.83) - although mine was 2.49 and I did okay. The school is one I would consider "very competitive" with both a strong academic reputation, and (more importantly IMHO) a strong "Navy" reputation. I think the risk of doing worse outweighs the benefit of doing better (and the associated chances of that happening).

Other than telling him to press a bit harder on his GPA, any recommendations? My experience is dated 28 years when all you needed to do was pass the AQT/FAR, and graduate. I never would have even gotten an NROTC scholarship if I was trying to compete these days, let alone graduate, get commissioned, get into flight school, get jets, etc, etc...

Do not let him retake it. That's a perfectly good (excellent) score and if he doesn't get selected then I doubt if it would be over a few points on the the ASTB. Work on the GPA and kill those last few classes.

dnanelson81

I just took the ASTB about a week and a half ago, haven't heard back about my scores yet I felt that I did well on it though but who knows...

I studied the gouge like crazy for all the sections, I studied the ARCO book for the math, mechanical comprehension and spatial apperception sections. I used the Barron's book to study more math and mechanical comprehension, (the spatial apperception section wasn't that great in this book). The reading I felt was pretty common sense I didn't study much for it. The aviation knowledge section was tricky because I didn't know what to expect, I have my private pilots license and all the questions on the test I knew from previous knowledge so I would suggest studying the FAA private pilot handbook.
so in review

Math Knowledge-Arco, Barron's, Gouge
reading- common sense
Spatial Apperception-gouge, Arco
Aviation Knowledge- FAA handbook

That seemed to work pretty good for me so good luck! I will post my scores when I get them hopefully soon

iJudgeee

AQR: 6
PFAR: 6
FOFAR: 6
OAR: 53
GPA: 3.76 in Management

My recruiter says I shouldn't retake the test even though he says I'm probably not competitive for NFO =/
He wants to put me in Supply and says my scores are good for that but my scores don't seem competitive at all compared to everyone on this thread.
I think my packet is pretty set but you never know what the boards are going to want. What do you guys think?

EDIT: I also don't know how that OAR was so low because that test was 10x easier than the practice tests =/ It really doesn't make sense. I was shooting for 7's and low 60 OAR atleast

GreenLantern330

AQR: 6
PFAR: 6
FOFAR: 6
OAR: 53
GPA: 3.76 in Management

My recruiter says I shouldn't retake the test even though he says I'm probably not competitive for NFO =/
He wants to put me in Supply and says my scores are good for that but my scores don't seem competitive at all compared to everyone on this thread.
I think my packet is pretty set but you never know what the boards are going to want. What do you guys think?

EDIT: I also don't know how that OAR was so low because that test was 10x easier than the practice tests =/ It really doesn't make sense. I was shooting for 7's and low 60 OAR atleast

What form did you have? When I took it, I got slightly lower scores than yours; my OAR was a 50. My OR said that my FOFAR, PFAR, and AQR were all a little low (in the 5s) but that since Suppo was my first choice (I was going for Suppo/NFO/SWO), to not retake since he thought my OAR was competitive enough. I felt the same way as you. Everyone on here and USNavyOCS.com have way more impressive scores/packages than mine for supply. I know you're probably thinking that you just wanna listen to your OR and go with it, but just think about how long it's been since there's been a board. I'm not exactly sure how long it's been, but I'm gonna guess close to a year. That said, it's going to be more competitive than ever to get selected, for just about any designator. I know I plan on retaking before I submit. Do you have to retake? No. Are you scores good? Yes. Could you do better? Most likely (you could also do even worse the second time around, though). In the end, it's up to you.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
Why did he say you weren't competitive? I had a 50 6/6/6, and 3.75 GPA (Finance) and got selected for both SNA and NFO. My recruiter told me I was a shoe-in for supply and insisted I apply, but I said no, I'm only going for SNA/NFO for now.

iJudgeee

I had form 3. It wasn't hard at all until I got to the final section. It was nothing but stuff I wasn't prepared for. All Navy plane and ship questions.
My recruiter told me to definitely not take it. I kind of don't want to risk getting worse scores. My options are the same as your's but I kind of wanted the option of NFO. =/ It seems it might not even be a choice now

GreenLantern330

Don't forget they use the whole person concept, so maybe other areas of your package will even it out. Not saying your score is bad, because it certainly isn't, but you've seen the other scores on these sites as you've previously stated, so there are always higher scores.

If you really want NFO, you might want to consider retaking it even though your OR says not to, that is, if you feel the rest of your package is nothing special. If you feel the rest of your package is competitive, then don't retake it and apply. If non select, then retake.

iJudgeee

Isn't SNA training for the NFO? He said those scores were just below competitive for NFO. and right in the middle for Supply. I would have rather had 2 chances then just 1 shot at supply. But like I said earlier, you never know what they are looking for. The rest of my package is pretty strong. I Manage 11 bars, team captain of Basketball team in high school along with more sports etc. etc. But I would definitely love to be a Navy Officer more than anything in life.

iJudgeee

@greenlantern330 - that's basically the advice my OR told me. I'm just gonna study up a little here and there in the mean time to stay sharp if I don't get selected and retest.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Isn't SNA training for the NFO? He said those scores were just below competitive for NFO. and right in the middle for Supply. I would have rather had 2 chances then just 1 shot at supply. But like I said earlier, you never know what they are looking for. The rest of my package is pretty strong. I Manage 11 bars, team captain of Basketball team in high school along with more sports etc. etc. But I would definitely love to be a Navy Officer more than anything in life.

SNA = Student Naval Aviator (pilot)
NFO = Naval Flight Officer (they are not pilots, but have other jobs on aircraft)

I think your scores would normally be fine. The upcoming boards are going to be really tough probably because everyone has been waiting for so long. Maybe that is why your OR is saying what he is saying.

I would apply once and see what happens with the scores you have. They aren't great scores but they are definitely not bad.

fazeladabi

Hey guys! Took my OAR yesterday and scored a 53. My recruiter said that in order to be considered competitive I need to score a 55 and up. He said that if I think I can only get up by 2-3 points for the next test I shouldn't bother. However, he told me to keep in mind that because the influx of applicants have gone through the roof this year 53 might not make the cut. I'm trying out for Intell. Wanted to see what everyone thinks - retake it or apply with a 53? I have a 3.257 GPA and 5 years of public relations work experience.

cmcalvert

Sep-11 SNA Pro Rec
Hey guys! Took my OAR yesterday and scored a 53. My recruiter said that in order to be considered competitive I need to score a 55 and up. He said that if I think I can only get up by 2-3 points for the next test I shouldn't bother. However, he told me to keep in mind that because the influx of applicants have gone through the roof this year 53 might not make the cut. I'm trying out for Intell. Wanted to see what everyone thinks - retake it or apply with a 53? I have a 3.257 GPA and 5 years of public relations work experience.

I'm still just an applicant myself, so take this advice for what it's worth. I'm sure there are a lot of 53's that have been selected, but I'd suggest retaking. If you retake though, make sure you're going to improve your situation. If you make a 53 again, it probably wouldn't look that great. And if you make lower than 53.... well you know. Just study like your career as an Intel Officer depends on it! ...because it kind of does. Good luck!!

fazeladabi

Agreed. Definitely appreciate the input. This application process and seriously taken over my life these past few months. I'm sure it has for you as well. Best of luck to you as well buddy!

I also forgot to mention in my original post that I also speak and read/write Farsi and used to live in the middle east for a few years. Hope that will help my chances as well!

cmcalvert

Sep-11 SNA Pro Rec
Agreed. Definitely appreciate the input. This application process and seriously taken over my life these past few months. I'm sure it has for you as well. Best of luck to you as well buddy!

I also forgot to mention in my original post that I also speak and read/write Farsi and used to live in the middle east for a few years. Hope that will help my chances as well!

I would think that that would definitely help. Certainly nothing wrong with your OAR score or GPA either. As you know, they look at the whole person, not just test scores. Your experiences abroad will probably make you more attractive than comparable applicants, even those that scored a bit better on the OAR. I'm sure you'll be fine. Hope to see you in the fleet!