• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

BullGator

In this case, it's not even about using the search function: those 2 threads (that are the same as this one) are just a few threads down the list on the front page.

And OUSooner was right. This thread is pointless.. :)

cpwhit1

Final Select SNFO 07 March 2010
I had barely if any trig or geometry problems when I took mine. No quadratic or anything like that either. It was mostly pure number crunching problems that required a little thought. None of the math is going to be super involved because for one you don't have a calculator and second its not made to test your overall knowledge of math formulas. It's made to see how quickly you can think through a problem and solve it. If I remember right I think you only have maybe a little over a minuet to solve each math problem. The practice tests in Barrons were very similar to the actually test. I've looked at the Arco after I had taken it and was glad that I hadn't gotten it. The problems were really nothing like the actual test. Just my opinion though.

I second this. On mine there was absolutely NO trig. Maybe one or two geometry. No quadratics.

Going into my ASTB, I was mostly worried about the time I took to finish a math problem b/c those Barrons/Arco books made it seem like every problem was going to be a 5 paragraph word problem. NOT THE CASE! The books helped me study more than I probably needed to but thats a good thing I guess.

But thats only applicable to the test I took....Form #3. I heard #4 is the hardest but thats speculation.

BigL17

I am currently studying for the ASTB as well, and I found that http://www.purplemath.com/modules/index.htm is a good site to check out aspects of the math section that you might be having trouble with.

Hope this helps.

In addition, I also have the Barron's book so I am glad to hear that it is a good choice. Also using my old SAT Barron's book just for extra practice.

sciguy

Pro-Rec Supply
Does it change anything if you know how they grade it? Your goal should be to do the best you can on each section... I really suggest you postpone for a week to make sure you are ready for the math section. This should also help calm your nerves, ASTB scores for a SWO slot is not nearly as important as those of Pilot, Intel, or other applicants. Make sure you have a good all around package, go get some interviews with O-4 and above SWOs. What are your GPA and PRT scores? Those are important...
Sorry if this counts as threadjacking but I did see a post of particular interest to me.

I am applying for SWO and supply. I think/hope that I am in the February board. I got a 52 on the OAR and have a 3.4 GPA in Biology/Sec. Ed. I haven't taken the PRT but don't forsee any problems with it. How important is it to have an interview? I keep seeing that suggestion but I don't know any current officers. I was thinking that could be a potentially weak area. I have LORs from two retired officers, one army/navy and one air force. Should I talk to my OR about scheduling an interview, he never mentioned it as an option?

BullGator

sciguy: Interviews aren't required for civilians trying to get into OCS, but I believe they are for priors from what I've read. Assuming you are a civilian, I would just ask your OR if it would help you to have an interview. A good interview would probably strengthen your package, I would have to imagine. If you are strong enough without an interview is your OR's decision, imo. You sound like a strong applicant to me, but that isn't worth a damn. :D

Turtl3: I don't know how it is scored exactly; I don't think anyone on here really does. There are ideas of how it is scored, as far as what is more important in each section compared to each score, but that is almost as far as it goes.
You took the test and are waiting for your score. I hope you did well, and keep us posted on your thread, but anything not on that NAMI site is, well, "mysterious." ;)

BullGator

Turtl3 said:
I'm not looking to figure out how it's scored, but figure out whether or not scores are relative to other test takers. If I did shitty, it might be so bad so long as everyone else does shitty. :icon_tong
Well they are compared to other's scores, as in the standard bell curve I believe. So yeah, cheers to others doing chitty. :icon_tong Good luck man.

A side note, I used to wonder too how they could compare scores when we take the tests individually.. I don't know, just curiosity. Especially since many that take the online version get their scores instantaneously. You tend to wonder less when you get your scores and are in the clear. After all, the ASTB is only important in getting into OCS; everything after is independent of it and essentially on you.

TankTracks

Tutoring for ASTB

Can anyone say if the Arco book math questions are similar to the ones on the test? Also do you remember and questions in the math section that stumped you on the real test, please let me know. I know a few people who got a tutor to help them learn the material on the math section. One of them had a online tutor. So that is another option to help you.

I just took the ATSB last Friday, and the ARCO book math questions were very similar to the actual test. I also studied the Barron book, but the questions seemed more of the ARCO type. The Barron book is very good, just make sure you still study the ARCO math section. And the spatial appreciation airplanes look more like ARCO type than Barron.

CaliFlyer52

Took the test just before Thanksgiving 2008, 7/7/7.

Both books have what you need to prep for the test - practice.

As far as content, the ARCO book is of little use except for math and the spatial aperception. Barrons is pretty good. The Verbal section is much like an SAT - make sure you have decent vocabulary knowledge and be able to figure out what a word means via context clues.

Didn't study much for the physics/mechanics section. If 5 years of engineering education didn't cut it here, there wasn't much I could do.

As for the the aviation and seamanship sections, go to the library and get one of the Dorling-Kindersly (sp?) books on sailing and flight or equivalent. They are basic but very clear in their explanations with some pretty good pics/diagrams if you have limited aviation or boating knowledge (like myself).

There are a few good gouges floating around here that are really useful when it comes to what will actually be on the test, I recommend those as a primary source.

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
How to make the ASTB your bitch

+1 to what CaliFlyer said. Both books are good; I studied from both and took all the ASTB practice tests in those two books. The gouge on here is also very helpful. With those two study guides, the gouge on this site and some focused study time I scored 8/8/8 57 even though my girlfriend thinks I am partially retarded. For what its worth here are some pointers to help you study for each specific portion:

Math: If you can do the math at the pace required to answer all questions in the practice tests when timed you will find the ASTB math to be easy. I felt the math on the actual ASTB to be simple in comparison, but the books were good prep because they were more difficult. There is nothing higher than basic algebra, just know the basics well and practice for speed.

Verbal: The ASTB is all paragraph comp, so don't worry too much about memorizing a dictionary to learn new words. If you get one of the paragraphs that are describing a complex situation, draw a picture or map, I found that very helpful. If all you have ever read is Calvin and Hobbs and Cliff Notes this section may give you Hell, but if you've read a couple books throughout college or enjoy reading on your own, this section is no biggy. I felt this section leaves you plenty of time to read each paragraph, just practice the paragraphs in the test books to get an idea of the pace.

Mechanical Comp: The study books and gouge are great prep for this section. If you read over that stuff and have a little common sense you should find this section pretty easy. I might have just lucked out, but I do not remember getting a single question in this section that required calculating a specific number to find the answer.

Spatial: Practice these from all of the available gouge and study guides until you feel airsick. The more you practice these, the easier they get. Note that in the real ASTB there are no clouds, two levels of bank (shallow and steep) and the airplane is difficult to make out, but if you have practiced from all the guides, learned to pace yourself and use the process of elimination to narrow down your choices you can rock at this section even if you have never been in an airplane before. If you have a flight-sim on your PC or can get up for a flight lesson this may help you understand what the horizon does as you put a plane in different attitudes if you are new to aviation.

Aviation/Naval info: The aviation and naval knowledge in the two study books was plenty of info to do well on the ASTB, but the more books you study from the better if you have time or limited flight experience, just don't get too worked up over the aviation/naval sections, they are all very basic questions.

Aviation Supplement: This section combines identical or similar questions from the above sections. Study the sections above and you will be prepared for this section. Keep an eye out for questions you may have already answered in previous sections. I think they might be testing your short term memory a bit by putting in some questions you have already answered on the test so lay off the bong Cheech. I think they might be testing your short term memory a bit by putting in some questions you have already answered on the test so lay off the bong Cheech. Hopefully you got the identical ones right the first time around.

Extra tips for test day: Sleep well, eat well, hydrate, and get some exercise in the day before to help get out some of your tension. If they give you the option, take your PRT before your ASTB in the event you end up doing both on the same day. Taking the PRT first will help get out more of your nervous energy, get blood flowing to your brain and allow you to focus better. During the break you get while taking the real ASTB get up, hit the head, and move around. Anyone can do well on the ASTB if they apply themselves. Focus on any weaknesses to make them your strengths and you will be walking out of the test that much closer to your dream.

Good Luck on your ASTB!

chimp

Astb

I recently took the ASTB and there was a question I still don't know. What is the area of a triangle with both sides 4 meters? Does anybody know the answer to this question?

nugget61

pilot
Area of a right triangle = (1/2)*Base*Height, or for yours 8m^2.
You had meters on your ASTB though?