• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

jamespeters3143

If you have no waivers and a good GPA you probably meet the immediate selection requirements.
Should I meet immediate selection requirements and be selected for SNA (what I am going for), how long can I expect to ship out to OCS. I am graduating college in May and contemplating getting a job in the meantime, as my recruiter told me it could be 1-1.5 years.

NEVFR

Would it be a mistake to go through all of Algebra 1 and 2 on Khan Academy? Feels like I am doing stuff that hasn't been talked about on the forums. I am doing the self paced course. I plan on retaking in May, so I don't want to waste time on stuff that doesn't matter.

I have Gomez/Kyles drives. I assume I should go through and do the practice problems and just look up concepts on Khan and go from there, rather than just doing the whole Algebra 2 course? What did y'all do?

exNavyOffRec

Should I meet immediate selection requirements and be selected for SNA (what I am going for), how long can I expect to ship out to OCS. I am graduating college in May and contemplating getting a job in the meantime, as my recruiter told me it could be 1-1.5 years.
Well so far most of the immediate selection pickups are shipping in 1-1.5 months, the normal process can have a wait of many months, but not years anymore.

bendaggs

Would it be a mistake to go through all of Algebra 1 and 2 on Khan Academy? Feels like I am doing stuff that hasn't been talked about on the forums. I am doing the self paced course. I plan on retaking in May, so I don't want to waste time on stuff that doesn't matter.

I have Gomez/Kyles drives. I assume I should go through and do the practice problems and just look up concepts on Khan and go from there, rather than just doing the whole Algebra 2 course? What did y'all do?
I'm currently jumping around. Did some of the algebra stuff, did some of the basic parts of factoring and square roots. Skipped all the graphing stuff. Trying to go over probability so I can go through Kyle's drive probability. I wonder too how much others have gone over on Khan Academy.

CC2224Clone

Kyle's guide has a list of the math topics you should know for the ASTB. I would focus on those sections, and supplement Khan academy with Youtube videos (Ochem tutor has a lot of good videos). Also, another tip, find challenging practice problems online. The ASTB questions for the math section can be harder than what you see in Kyle's guide.

TwoScoops

Two Scops
None

When I retook the exam back in the day, I went through all of the Algebra courses on Kahn Academy. If you actually go through it, the math section of the test will be incredibly easy. (In my opinion...)

NEVFR

When I retook the exam back in the day, I went through all of the Algebra courses on Kahn Academy. If you actually go through it, the math section of the test will be incredibly easy. (In my opinion...)
Will do. Honestly, logs and polynomials and all that come easy. Geometry isn't bad either. I have used your app and have done well on the practice problems.

My issue is probability and some of these crazy long word problems. Always have had trouble with them. Going to scour Khan and see if there are any lesson plans that will help me out.

mmandziak

Kyle's guide has a list of the math topics you should know for the ASTB. I would focus on those sections, and supplement Khan academy with Youtube videos (Ochem tutor has a lot of good videos). Also, another tip, find challenging practice problems online. The ASTB questions for the math section can be harder than what you see in Kyle's guide.
Can you link me Kyle's drive?

NFHopeful

ASTB tomorrow for me ladies and gents, I’m nervous but feeling “locked in,” as the kids put it.

I’m feeling solid about the PBM but now the little things are worrying me. For example, I got my UAV reaction time down to a consistent sub 1.5 on the ASTB prep app but I’m nervous about switching from finger tapping on the phone to mouse clicking on the real deal.

Feeling OK on math and mechanical, reading will be fine. I’m hoping they don’t throw any curveballs at me but if it’s a computer adaptive test, at least ridiculously hard questions would (indirectly) let me know I’ve “earned them”

bendaggs

ASTB tomorrow for me ladies and gents, I’m nervous but feeling “locked in,” as the kids put it.

I’m feeling solid about the PBM but now the little things are worrying me. For example, I got my UAV reaction time down to a consistent sub 1.5 on the ASTB prep app but I’m nervous about switching from finger tapping on the phone to mouse clicking on the real deal.

Feeling OK on math and mechanical, reading will be fine. I’m hoping they don’t throw any curveballs at me but if it’s a computer adaptive test, at least ridiculously hard questions would (indirectly) let me know I’ve “earned them”
Don't sweat the small stuff, UAV was incredibly easy with the pencil trick. If you're doing well on the app you'll be perfectly fine on the test.

NFHopeful

Don't sweat the small stuff, UAV was incredibly easy with the pencil trick. If you're doing well on the app you'll be perfectly fine on the test.
Thanks for the reassurance! How much of the overall test time do you think was spent on the UAV and terrain identification?

Did you bring water and snacks? I’m thinking a rice ball and some push ups will be enough to keep my mind sharp and my nerves down.

bendaggs

Thanks for the reassurance! How much of the overall test time do you think was spent on the UAV and terrain identification?

Did you bring water and snacks? I’m thinking a rice ball and some push ups will be enough to keep my mind sharp and my nerves down.
Very little maybe 10-15 minutes at most. They both go very fast. I think I got 5 wrong and avg 1.5-2.5s on UAV and I know I got most of the terrain wrong and I ended up with a 7/6 PFAR and FOFAR. You will be slower on the test than the app but seriously don’t sweat it. Terrain is also way easier than the app.

I had some protein chips on my break, definitely bring a snack and a water bottle. I found that I was nervous before but once I got going I was locked in. Also, you get a 15 minute break after the OAR. I ate snacks went to the bathroom, relaxed etc. I was nervous before, trust me you’ll lock right in when taking it. For reference my scores were a 45 4/7/6 taking it again in 2 weeks. Hoping for a 50 6/8/7. Good luck man!

Last edited:

sp2019

Does anyone remember on the test if when your doing the Dichotic Listening is it ODD (Clutch on the throttle) and EVEN (pull trigger on the right) ?