• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

exNavyOffRec

Hi All - new to this forum today. I see a post with links to prior SNA/ NFO boards -link below. does anyone have similar postings from the NROTC boards with data on who from that commission path was selected with various scores / GPA major like the other ones, which are great?

Two added questions:
1. How much does prior flight experience play so to speak in getting a slot as a SNA or NFO? If a person is a commercial pilot, CFI flight instructor, and finishing up NROTC next year, would that help them get selected to go to flight school after commissioning? 21.5 y.o. if that matters - will be 22 at commissioning.
2. Does an ASTB score of 777 or 877 or 887 make the cut for SNA or NFO currently? If you had those scores and were a pilot, would you re-take the exam?

Thanks for your guidance in advance and thanks for hosting this forum - looks great!

Post with prior board results: https://www.airwarriors.com/communi...r-sna-or-snfo-i-am-putting-in-for-both.48352/
This forum has mostly those trying to get in via OCS, NROTC is a different animal even though they both take the ASTB. What could get a person selected for aviation in NROTC may not in OCS and to make it interesting the reverse could be true depending on the needs of OCS.

Those scores are all decent you listed but the person you are referring to would be better served talking to their advisor who has maybe seen a few rounds of NROTC mids get picked for aviation.

zacharyd07

Hey all,

I just took my ASTB and received,

OAR 56
AQR 6
PFAR 5
FOFAR 6

The guy who proctored my test said these scores were good enough and that I shouldn't retake the test. Is this enough to make it into pilot training?

The2ndworst

Best tip for that is just treat each question as an “if.. then..” statement. Most of the questions I had you could eliminate two of the answer choices right away. Then chose the better of the remaining two. If I had a toss up I just put the more generalized or simplest answer choice.

ADP

I just took my OAR today and scored 58 6/5/6. I didn't have any flight experience and didn't study for the test at all. Being an NFO is very interesting to me, but I don't know if I could improve my score enough to be a competitive candidate (recruiter told me 7/7/7 would make me competitive, 8/8/8 would make me a relatively safe pick). Is there a way to improve your score on the ASTB section? The part of it that involves using actual flight controls doesn't really seem trainable, but could I do enough outside of that to safely get to 8/8/8?

I just took my OAR today and scored 58 6/5/6. I didn't have any flight experience and didn't study for the test at all. Being an NFO is very interesting to me, but I don't know if I could improve my score enough to be a competitive candidate (recruiter told me 7/7/7 would make me competitive, 8/8/8 would make me a relatively safe pick). Is there a way to improve your score on the ASTB section? The part of it that involves using actual flight controls doesn't really seem trainable, but could I do enough outside of that to safely get to 8/8/8?
I'll make this short. The joystick portion is somewhat trainable. The UAV and aviation knowledge portion are definitely trainable. Search the forums for Jantzen simulator. Buy a hotas and get some stick time. For UAV there is an apple only app called astb prep that had a very good UAV simulator. For aeronautical knowledge, search this thread for gouge or read the pilots handbook of aeronautical knowledge. Actual flight experience couldn't hurt either if you have the time and resources (will hurt your wallet).

In short, you can get selected with a 6 FOFAR but you'll want at minimum a 7 to really improve your chances. Shouldn't be hard to improve from where you're at.

ADP

I'll make this short. The joystick portion is somewhat trainable. The UAV and aviation knowledge portion are definitely trainable. Search the forums for Jantzen simulator. Buy a hotas and get some stick time. For UAV there is an apple only app called astb prep that had a very good UAV simulator. For aeronautical knowledge, search this thread for gouge or read the pilots handbook of aeronautical knowledge. Actual flight experience couldn't hurt either if you have the time and resources (will hurt your wallet).

In short, you can get selected with a 6 FOFAR but you'll want at minimum a 7 to really improve your chances. Shouldn't be hard to improve from where you're at.
How far do you think I could get without a flight stick? I'm unsure about putting down money for something I considered for the first time today.

How far do you think I could get without a flight stick? I'm unsure about putting down money for something I considered for the first time today.
It depends on how much you want it. The money you spend on a hotas is a drop in the bucket compared to the money you'll make as an nfo.

What do you mean you considered it the first time today? You just scheduled and took the astb without wanting to be a pilot/nfo before today?

ADP

It depends on how much you want it. The money you spend on a hotas is a drop in the bucket compared to the money you'll make as an nfo.

What do you mean you considered it the first time today? You just scheduled and took the astb without wanting to be a pilot/nfo before today?
Correct, I liked the idea of being an officer in the Navy, assumed I'd be too far behind the curve to think about being a pilot/NFO, but when the recruiter asked if I wanted to take the ASTB part as well I thought it would be worth an hour of my time to see how I could do.

Correct, I liked the idea of being an officer in the Navy, assumed I'd be too far behind the curve to think about being a pilot/NFO, but when the recruiter asked if I wanted to take the ASTB part as well I thought it would be worth an hour of my time to see how I could do.
Oh wow. Not bad scores then considering the circumstances. Like i said a 6 can get you selected. It's not close to a guarantee though. If you want to improve your scores then use the method I described. The last number is your FOFAR. That is the biggest factor for nfo selection. Your pfar is the 5, used for pilot selection.

Your oar is good and tbh I don't think you need to worry about improving that.

ADP

Oh wow. Not bad scores then considering the circumstances. Like i said a 6 can get you selected. It's not close to a guarantee though. If you want to improve your scores then use the method I described. The last number is your FOFAR. That is the biggest factor for nfo selection. Your pfar is the 5, used for pilot selection.

Your oar is good and tbh I don't think you need to worry about improving that.
Thanks for the words! I'll have to consider if buying a stick would be worth it, but I'll definitely use the resources you posted for the parts I can start studying now.

exNavyOffRec

At least your recruiter is upfront with you, that is not too common.

msilberg

Hello all,

New to the forum and unfortunately found it after taking the ASTB for the first time.
Just wanted to say thank you for all the good content and share a little about me and my scores and the package I've built and see people's thoughts on my chances of getting a SNA slot.

Scored a 53 6/6/7
I'm a recent graduate from Northwestern University and played Division 1 athletics there for four years. GPA is a 3.2 graduating with a B.S. in Communications and Marketing.
I have some great reference letters (don't know if this matters) from some active duty fighter pilots.
My recruiter said I have good scores and a good overall package but don't know if he's BS'ing me or not.

Please let me know what y'all think,

Thanks again!

exNavyOffRec

Hello all,

New to the forum and unfortunately found it after taking the ASTB for the first time.
Just wanted to say thank you for all the good content and share a little about me and my scores and the package I've built and see people's thoughts on my chances of getting a SNA slot.

Scored a 53 6/6/7
I'm a recent graduate from Northwestern University and played Division 1 athletics there for four years. GPA is a 3.2 graduating with a B.S. in Communications and Marketing.
I have some great reference letters (don't know if this matters) from some active duty fighter pilots.
My recruiter said I have good scores and a good overall package but don't know if he's BS'ing me or not.

Please let me know what y'all think,

Thanks again!
Take a look at previous comments, those scores are not good as that is what is the most important factor for selection. the rest of what you have listed really doesn't matter.

I would keep studying and retake.