• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

ArtieB44

Hello all,

First time poster here! I have taken the ASTB twice now and I'm about to take it for the third time and I'm super nervous about it, but I have been putting it off for the longest time and now its time to just do it! I have been studying for the last few months, still nervous on math and mechanical portion. My first test going in blind was a 40 4/5/5 and those were the minimums AT THE TIME and when i submitted for the July board last year the PA at the time and 1420b i was good but the PA changed while my package was already to NRC and they kicked it back because the board had not conviened yet so i no longer qualified. Total bummer... Took it a second time and got 45 4/6/6. Instant gut punch. So no here i am studying everyday and hoping i can raise that score. Going thru the thread you guys and girls have posted some good stuff that i am taking as gospel at this point.

B.S. Criminology 3.10 gpa
8yrs current active duty Naval Aircrewman
NATOPS Instructor
CRM Facilitator
Pretty much just a dude trying to stay aviation either SNA/SNFO
Well took it today for the third time and still a no go 45 4/7/7... so good luck to you future aviators!

Reactions: RMV

Rahul Gupta

Well took it today for the third time and still a no go 45 4/7/7... so good luck to you future aviators!
What do you mean by "no go"? If you do not apply or go forward with your scores then you guarantee yourself a "no go". Let me give you some insight, if I may...
Firstly, you have improved every-time that you've taken this test which is to your favor by a total of 4 points (4/5/5 to 4/7/7) which aint too shabby (actually is an amazing thing so CONGRATS). You definitely got the 7's in your favor, now the 4 may seem a lil daunting to you - and maybe the board for that matter, BUT, it is definitely not unlikely for you to get an SNA pick, assuming you've got other things tied down. Worst case you get NFO, which is still great! If I were you I'd apply, bc (a) that was the last time you could take the test, and (b) your scores really are not that bad, i'd say you did pretty well overall. Keep your head up and aim high (AF motto not intended)!

Last edited:

browntown

What do you mean by "no go"? If you do not apply or go forward with your scores then you guarantee yourself a "no go". Let me give you some insight, if I may...
Firstly, you have improved every-time that you've taken this test which is to your favor by a total of 4 points (4/5/5 to 4/7/7) which aint too shabby (actually is an amazing thing so CONGRATS). You definitely got the 7's in your favor, now the 4 may seem a lil daunting to you - and maybe the board for that matter, BUT, it is definitely not unlikely for you to get an SNA pick, assuming you've got other things tied down. Worst case you get NFO, which is still great! If I were you I'd apply, bc (a) that was the last time you could take the test, and (b) your scores really are not that bad, i'd say you did pretty well overall. Keep your head up and aim high (AF motto not intended)!

He unfortunately can’t apply for SNA or NFO because they both have a minimum AQR score (the 4) of 5.

Rahul Gupta

He unfortunately can’t apply for SNA or NFO because they both have a minimum AQR score (the 4) of 5.
You are right. Well, in that case... I still say do not give up @ArtieB44 Here's something to consider...
I'm assuming that you are going OCS route. If your really intent on flying, have you also considered the Air Force. Don't get me wrong, if you are keen with going Navy then by all means, Go Navy! That said, if flying is something you really want, think about taking the AFOQT and applying to OTS. Of course this is your choice, but it is something to consider since it is a completely diff. test from the ASTB (not by material tested but by format). I'm not sure but you should also check what the Coast Guard's min's are in case you meet those (they also use the astb). Remember, there is always more than one way and one route to achieve your goals and an officer is an officer regardless of branch or commission source.

xirail

Took the first time, got 50 5/5/5.
The math section (the moment you realized you done messed up, after spending 5 minutes calculating by hand and look up to find your answers on the screen, but it's not there.) It is not that difficult, was expecting logs and negative exponents and Xs and Ys but didn't see any. Got kicked out section 6 minutes left, spend a little time on word problems. (80% of my question is word based questions) I will recall some question that I encounter and write it here later.

The last section was hard, the flying simulation got me so confused. Depends on your region, I got an X52 logic tech stick and throttle, where you could buy it online for 150 and return it later after the test.
The recruiter said that I am not able to go for aviation or NFO because of a low score. I think I should at least all 6s, should have read the instruction more carefully on the last section, but not trying to take it again. I will submit my score for the May board for Intel and SWO (GPA 3.6 BA in International Studies) but I heard it is really competitive for Intel. Like some of the previous poster, I am naturalized citizen and speak Chinese, Russian, and Turkic languages. Hope I get picked up by Intel, at this point just trying to get my foot into the door and be useful.
3 hard weeks (12 hours a day )in the library, I had 0 knowledge on most of this stuff, this is been a challenging 3 weeks.

To people who are nervous, please don't. If I can do it, you could too.

Thanks for the practice test and study guide. It helped me a lot.

ArtieB44

You are right. Well, in that case... I still say do not give up @ArtieB44 Here's something to consider...
I'm assuming that you are going OCS route. If your really intent on flying, have you also considered the Air Force. Don't get me wrong, if you are keen with going Navy then by all means, Go Navy! That said, if flying is something you really want, think about taking the AFOQT and applying to OTS. Of course this is your choice, but it is something to consider since it is a completely diff. test from the ASTB (not by material tested but by format). I'm not sure but you should also check what the Coast Guard's min's are in case you meet those (they also use the astb). Remember, there is always more than one way and one route to achieve your goals and an officer is an officer regardless of branch or commission source.

Thanks for the morale boost, I’ve already taken some course of action to hopefully figure out where I can go commissioning wise. My command is working with my Commodore to have an “exception to policy” letter written to see if they will except me with a 4 instead of a 5 showing my progression in tests and the fact that I’m already an enlisted aviator. I have looked into the Air Force and unfortunately with my rate and how much time I have still I cannot get a conditional release to go and would have to wait till my EAOS at 2022. I have spoken with coast guard and marine OCS recruiters and with that the Marines said they would take me especially with my last score, but the coast guard doesn’t have a direct pilot contract when going to OCS. Anyways, long story short I’m still trying and hopefully can stay aviation in the navy

Rahul Gupta

Thanks for the morale boost, I’ve already taken some course of action to hopefully figure out where I can go commissioning wise. My command is working with my Commodore to have an “exception to policy” letter written to see if they will except me with a 4 instead of a 5 showing my progression in tests and the fact that I’m already an enlisted aviator. I have looked into the Air Force and unfortunately with my rate and how much time I have still I cannot get a conditional release to go and would have to wait till my EAOS at 2022. I have spoken with coast guard and marine OCS recruiters and with that the Marines said they would take me especially with my last score, but the coast guard doesn’t have a direct pilot contract when going to OCS. Anyways, long story short I’m still trying and hopefully can stay aviation in the navy
Hooyah shipmate,
I know you will make it and I’m even more confident that you’ll be that good of an officer. I hope the letters get through. Keep at it and do not give up, the Navy will be lucky to have you aboard.

eberle3

First attempt 45 5/5/5 on Jan. 11th. Took it a second time Mar. 8th and got 56 7/8/7. I didn't study as much as I should have for the first test, but I kind of just wanted to treat it as a trial run. For the second test, I studied for 1-2 hours about 4-5 days a week. I can't stress how important it is to utilize this website in your studies. Go back and look at other people's tips and the types of problems they saw. I'll post all the google drives I used at the end of my post.

Math
This was definitely my weakest area and ended up studying the most for it. Each time I took it, I saw different types of problems. Basic algebra, all types of exponents, averages, D=RxT, square roots, fraction/normal word problems, and one arc length question. I saw one log problem on the first test, but never again. No matrices. I recommend using the OAR Math Guide as a starting point (know it inside and out) and then get your hands on as many practice tests and problems as possible. Also, it will definitely benefit you to get super fast at multiplying, dividing, adding, etc. by hand since pretty much all problems will have you doing this one way or another.

Reading
I didn't study for this section at all. Most say to don't do this, but I didn't think it was that hard. Majority of passages will be super dull and boring, but just focus and you'll be fine. Read the passage once then cross off any answers that are obviously wrong. On most questions, you will be deciding between two answers that both seem correct. Eliminate the one that contains something that cannot be determined by the words in the passage. If an answer contains never or always then you can usually mark that one off. I wouldn't stress over this section unless your reading level is that of a 3rd grader.

Mechanical
Easier than math, but harder than reading. It will include gears, pulleys, MA, levers, weight=mass x gravity, electricity stuff. Also know what a 4-stroke engine is(intake, compression, combustion, exhaust) On some problems just use common sense and you'll be able to figure out the answer. Easy calculations if any. Just use the study guides and practice tests to familiarize yourself with all the concepts.

ANIT
This was probably the hardest to study for since there is just so much information that is covered. Definitely know your plane and boat parts and how they all work. Lift, drag, air density, and velocity seemed to be emphasized. This study guide has a good ANIT section to study, but is also a great overall study guide. I mainly studied these flashcards:
Use all these flashcards and any practice tests you can get your hands on.

NAFTI
Not fun. Not fun at all. Just kept telling myself, okay only 70 more, 50 more, 40 more, etc. until it was over. Thought it was never going to end. Just answer honestly and grind through it.

PBM
UAV: DONT USE THE COMPASS TRICK. I used it my first test and averaged like 2-4 seconds and got a couple wrong. On second test, I wrote out all possible combinations. It never took me longer than 2 seconds and I got them all right. Props to TF7325 for that idea. If you do get one wrong, don't panic and just stay relaxed.
Dichotic Listening: Lean into your target ear and focus on the numbers/letters you hear. Don't even think about listening to whatever is going on in your other ear. Also doesn't hurt to write down clutch=odd and trigger=even.
Vertical Tracking: Just small jerks. Don't hammer it or you will end up going all over the place. Watch it in your peripherals while tracking the plane.
Aircraft Tracking: If you can afford it, I recommend buying a joystick and playing a game like Ace Combat so you can get use to the movements of a joystick and how they will affect the crosshair. Also remember when they have you calibrate the joystick before the test that the controls aren't inverted. Don't spend too much time on this or it will mess you up on the test.
Emergency Procedures: Write them down!!! If you don't your screwed. While your doing both tracking tasks an emergency will pop up. My advice is to just fix it as quick as possible and get back to tracking.

I wasn't expecting to make a post this long but this site was so helpful, I kind of felt obligated. Study your ass off and go into the test confident and you will do just fine. Feel free to ask me any questions. Oh yeah, here are the google drives I used. Definitely the best resource out there.

Attachments

• OAR Math Guide.docx
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
  • UAV combinations.jpg
    UAV combinations.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 86

Osprey98

I have been studying for about a month and a half and have really emphasized the math section. I see plenty of posts about complicated weighted average problems, but have yet to find any good examples/explanations on how to approach them. This seems to be one of the very few problem types that leaves my head spinning. I've read several posts that are along the lines of "I saw a weighted average problem, but it was way more complicated than any examples I've seen." Any input/advice/gouge would be greatly appreciated!

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
First attempt 45 5/5/5 on Jan. 11th. Took it a second time Mar. 8th and got 56 7/8/7. I didn't study as much as I should have for the first test, but I kind of just wanted to treat it as a trial run. For the second test, I studied for 1-2 hours about 4-5 days a week. I can't stress how important it is to utilize this website in your studies. Go back and look at other people's tips and the types of problems they saw. I'll post all the google drives I used at the end of my post.

Math
This was definitely my weakest area and ended up studying the most for it. Each time I took it, I saw different types of problems. Basic algebra, all types of exponents, averages, D=RxT, square roots, fraction/normal word problems, and one arc length question. I saw one log problem on the first test, but never again. No matrices. I recommend using the OAR Math Guide as a starting point (know it inside and out) and then get your hands on as many practice tests and problems as possible. Also, it will definitely benefit you to get super fast at multiplying, dividing, adding, etc. by hand since pretty much all problems will have you doing this one way or another.

Reading
I didn't study for this section at all. Most say to don't do this, but I didn't think it was that hard. Majority of passages will be super dull and boring, but just focus and you'll be fine. Read the passage once then cross off any answers that are obviously wrong. On most questions, you will be deciding between two answers that both seem correct. Eliminate the one that contains something that cannot be determined by the words in the passage. If an answer contains never or always then you can usually mark that one off. I wouldn't stress over this section unless your reading level is that of a 3rd grader.

Mechanical
Easier than math, but harder than reading. It will include gears, pulleys, MA, levers, weight=mass x gravity, electricity stuff. Also know what a 4-stroke engine is(intake, compression, combustion, exhaust) On some problems just use common sense and you'll be able to figure out the answer. Easy calculations if any. Just use the study guides and practice tests to familiarize yourself with all the concepts.

ANIT
This was probably the hardest to study for since there is just so much information that is covered. Definitely know your plane and boat parts and how they all work. Lift, drag, air density, and velocity seemed to be emphasized. This study guide has a good ANIT section to study, but is also a great overall study guide. I mainly studied these flashcards:
Use all these flashcards and any practice tests you can get your hands on.

NAFTI
Not fun. Not fun at all. Just kept telling myself, okay only 70 more, 50 more, 40 more, etc. until it was over. Thought it was never going to end. Just answer honestly and grind through it.

PBM
UAV: DONT USE THE COMPASS TRICK. I used it my first test and averaged like 2-4 seconds and got a couple wrong. On second test, I wrote out all possible combinations. It never took me longer than 2 seconds and I got them all right. Props to TF7325 for that idea. If you do get one wrong, don't panic and just stay relaxed.
Dichotic Listening: Lean into your target ear and focus on the numbers/letters you hear. Don't even think about listening to whatever is going on in your other ear. Also doesn't hurt to write down clutch=odd and trigger=even.
Vertical Tracking: Just small jerks. Don't hammer it or you will end up going all over the place. Watch it in your peripherals while tracking the plane.
Aircraft Tracking: If you can afford it, I recommend buying a joystick and playing a game like Ace Combat so you can get use to the movements of a joystick and how they will affect the crosshair. Also remember when they have you calibrate the joystick before the test that the controls aren't inverted. Don't spend too much time on this or it will mess you up on the test.
Emergency Procedures: Write them down!!! If you don't your screwed. While your doing both tracking tasks an emergency will pop up. My advice is to just fix it as quick as possible and get back to tracking.

I wasn't expecting to make a post this long but this site was so helpful, I kind of felt obligated. Study your ass off and go into the test confident and you will do just fine. Feel free to ask me any questions. Oh yeah, here are the google drives I used. Definitely the best resource out there.

Congrats on your scores, auto select! And great gouge, hopefully it helps a lot of others. Which board are going for? SNA or SNFO?

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
I have been studying for about a month and a half and have really emphasized the math section. I see plenty of posts about complicated weighted average problems, but have yet to find any good examples/explanations on how to approach them. This seems to be one of the very few problem types that leaves my head spinning. I've read several posts that are along the lines of "I saw a weighted average problem, but it was way more complicated than any examples I've seen." Any input/advice/gouge would be greatly appreciated!
I’d highly recommend getting the Barron’s GMAT math workbook on Amazon for like $10. But there’s also google. Try this link: https://magoosh.com/gmat/2015/gmat-math-weighted-averages/

eberle3

Congrats on your scores, auto select! And great gouge, hopefully it helps a lot of others. Which board are going for? SNA or SNFO?
Thanks man. I'm going SNA, but I'm waiting to hear back from NAMI with a date for my flight physical. Hopefully I can get onto one of the next couple boards.

keizero11

Took the test today and got a 42 on the OAR. Pretty sad at myself but can't do anything but take the test again. I studied for 3 months on weekdays averaging around 2-3 hours a day and like 5 hours a day on the week before the test.

Math: For me when i took the test, i was under the assumption there were alot more problems so i rushed more than i had to. Felt like at most there were only about 10-15 questions and then it kicks you out. Take your time on this cause i still had like 15 minutes left. (Don't take forever though cause it is still timed). The types of questions i got stumped the most were mostly D=rt (could of sworn i had this down but i guess i didn't) and questions like if b=2a, a=4b, c is? something like that which i sucked at too. I didn't see any other questions.

Reading: Usually 2 answers are near correct, pick the best one. The reading can be tiring but it's important to stay focused.

Mech: The questions i got didn't seem difficult. questions were mostly about the basic of physics. Know about the formula to deal with fulcrums. It's everywhere in this site. The Mech study guides that are passed around here are enough i think.

Overall, the exam isn't that long (40 minutes for math, around 30 for reading, and like 20(?) for Mech), but it certainly feels long especially on the reading part. You get your results when you're done too. I did poorly on the Math portion maybe because I didn't study the right material (I don't know). I'm taking the exam again in 31 days from today. Also you're recruiter can give you an estimate of what score you need on the OAR for your desired program. Not sure exactly how to better prepare for the next exam, maybe i need to buy a book? not sure which to buy though but i heard cliffnotes was good by my recruiter. But i'm just extremely demoralized after 3 months of hard studying and i still got a shitty score, and not sure how to go towards the next exam. I'm open to any any advice.

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
@pleahy15 Current auto select scores are an OAR of 50+ and a 7/7/7 on the ASTB portion of the test. Per @RecruitingGuru “Auto-Qual/Early Select procedures should take place again. If your Pilot/and or NFO calculator score is above 85 AND require no drug/legal waivers the odds are with you to being an early select.”