• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Cynthia713

besides the ASTB which you are asking for help on it seems like all your other ducks are in a row, good GPA, good degree so keep pushing, also one of the best officers I worked for was a single mother when she came into the USN.

Thank you for your input! I really appreciate it! I need to really study the mechanical portion practice questions because I am not in no way familiar with mechanics. I will pray that everything goes well; I want to provide my daughter with a better future.

Thanks again!

How's it going guys? I'm fairly new to this forum website, but I've been able to keep up so far.

I have a question for anybody who is able to answer.

I scored a 47 on my OAR today, not too good. I am aware that a 48-52 is needed to be competitive, but I believe those scores are competitive for the Civil Engineering Program.

Can anybody provide me feedback stating which programs are available with a score of a 47 on the OAR.

Should I wait 90 days to take it again, then apply for a program?

Thanks.

exNavyOffRec

How's it going guys? I'm fairly new to this forum website, but I've been able to keep up so far.

I have a question for anybody who is able to answer.

I scored a 47 on my OAR today, not too good. I am aware that a 48-52 is needed to be competitive, but I believe those scores are competitive for the Civil Engineering Program.

Can anybody provide me feedback stating which programs are available with a score of a 47 on the OAR.

Should I wait 90 days to take it again, then apply for a program?

Thanks.

CEC doesn't look at or need an OAR

Colby Snider

The red arrow is the direction you are heading. AKA your "Heading."
Then you look at the right side of the flashcard and the direction you are going is always from C to A (or up the page).
So, if the red arrow is on south, then the direction from C to A is south... A would be the south Carpark.
If the red arrow is on east, then the direction from C to A is east... C would be the west Carpark and A would be the east Carpark.

That make sense?

YESSSSSSSS! Thank you so much! I completely understand it now, you explained it perfectly! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

thosefreakinATs

insert witty comment here
pilot
untitled.png

heres what the UAV portion kind of looks like. they've had a software update since this but for the most part this is accurate. found this on google

The red arrow is the direction you are heading. AKA your "Heading."
Then you look at the right side of the flashcard and the direction you are going is always from C to A (or up the page).
So, if the red arrow is on south, then the direction from C to A is south... A would be the south Carpark.
If the red arrow is on east, then the direction from C to A is east... C would be the west Carpark and A would be the east Carpark.

That make sense?

I'm still a little confused. For example how is number 49 B or number 58 B?

mskindel

I'm still a little confused. For example how is number 49 B or number 58 B?

The easiest way I have figured out the flashcards is by nodding my head to the right or left in which the shortest direction it would take to get the arrow pointing in the correct direction.
Flashcard 58 for example, I nod my head to the left which means the south carpark will be moving counterclockwise. Since it is only moving one-eighth of a rotation around a circle (or a quarter of a half-circle which is easier for me), it is moving one-eighth of a circle counterclockwise, therefore the answer would be B.
Similarly number 49, I nod my head to the right because the shortest way to get the arrow in the top spot is going clockwise. The same distance that it takes to move the arrow to the correct position is the same distance that carpark will move from the basic cardinal directions. So you move the arrow three-quarters of a half-circle clockwise to make it to the top, which means the north carpark will be at position B, since it is three-quarters of a half circle clockwise from the original position.

The easiest way I have figured out the flashcards is by nodding my head to the right or left in which the shortest direction it would take to get the arrow pointing in the correct direction.
Flashcard 58 for example, I nod my head to the left which means the south carpark will be moving counterclockwise. Since it is only moving one-eighth of a rotation around a circle (or a quarter of a half-circle which is easier for me), it is moving one-eighth of a circle counterclockwise, therefore the answer would be B.
Similarly number 49, I nod my head to the right because the shortest way to get the arrow in the top spot is going clockwise. The same distance that it takes to move the arrow to the correct position is the same distance that carpark will move from the basic cardinal directions. So you move the arrow three-quarters of a half-circle clockwise to make it to the top, which means the north carpark will be at position B, since it is three-quarters of a half circle clockwise from the original position.
I'm understanding it a little better; however, I'm still a bit stuck. For #61 I nodded man head in the shortest direction and got that one incorrect. The answer I got was A, but the correct answer was C.

mskindel

I'm understanding it a little better; however, I'm still a bit stuck. For #61 I nodded man head in the shortest direction and got that one incorrect. The answer I got was A, but the correct answer was C.

Remember, you want that yellow arrow to be pointing up, so for #61 you will be moving that arrow counterclockwise. The same distance that you turn that arrow is the same that N will be moving. So if you move that arrow three-quarters of a half circle counterclockwise, do the same to N, which results in the correct answer being C.

Thomas Wright

Hey everyone, not sure if I am posting in the main thread or accidentally replying to one a specific post. Regardless, I am taking the ASTB-E tomorrow and have an important question (nothing like waiting until the last minute)!
It is my understanding (based on reading through hundreds of posts) that in the math section, you may not get 30 questions, and the number of questions may be based on how well you do (for example, if you answer the first 8 questions correctly, your done). I mentioned something about this to the person proctoring my test, and he said that this was not true, and that I will have 25 minutes to answer all 30 math questions. And yes, I will be taking the computer based test, not the paper one. Can anyone who has taken the electronic version recently confirm this?
My fear is this: I have been studying solidly for a month, using this fantastic website along with several other books and resources, but upon taking a practice paper math test last night, I found that I was only able to answer 18 out of 30 questions in 25 minutes. I also got a few wrong out of the 18. I did however not skip any to come back to after attacking the easy ones, since I know I wont be able to on the electronic test.
Basically I am trying to come up with the best strategy - obviously I wont spend a ton of time on a problem that I have no clue how to solve, but for the ones that may take me 3-5 minutes instead of the allotted 50 sec per question, am I better off guessing after 1 minute has passed if I am not close?
Is the score based on how many right answers you are able to get in the most time? Please help and thank you!

exNavyOffRec

Hey everyone, not sure if I am posting in the main thread or accidentally replying to one a specific post. Regardless, I am taking the ASTB-E tomorrow and have an important question (nothing like waiting until the last minute)!
It is my understanding (based on reading through hundreds of posts) that in the math section, you may not get 30 questions, and the number of questions may be based on how well you do (for example, if you answer the first 8 questions correctly, your done). I mentioned something about this to the person proctoring my test, and he said that this was not true, and that I will have 25 minutes to answer all 30 math questions. And yes, I will be taking the computer based test, not the paper one. Can anyone who has taken the electronic version recently confirm this?
My fear is this: I have been studying solidly for a month, using this fantastic website along with several other books and resources, but upon taking a practice paper math test last night, I found that I was only able to answer 18 out of 30 questions in 25 minutes. I also got a few wrong out of the 18. I did however not skip any to come back to after attacking the easy ones, since I know I wont be able to on the electronic test.
Basically I am trying to come up with the best strategy - obviously I wont spend a ton of time on a problem that I have no clue how to solve, but for the ones that may take me 3-5 minutes instead of the allotted 50 sec per question, am I better off guessing after 1 minute has passed if I am not close?
Is the score based on how many right answers you are able to get in the most time? Please help and thank you!

Unless they changed something after the brief I received from the person that runs the test center in Pensacola it is adaptive, there have been a few people on here that said "I didn't get to answer all the questions" yet they rec'd scores of 7's and 8's

Thomas Wright

I'll chime in on this:
So I got a 66 and I can tell you with 90% certainty that I did not get 30 problems. I think you are correct in the notion that the better you do means you will get less questions.

To answer your question about pace: use your gut. I was pacing through the problems pretty well and I hit a couple that were tough and I knew how to solve them but not in the time allotted. Basically you needed to be able to write a series in order to solve it and I couldn't come up with the right formula. On those, I just took a good guess and moved on.
With that being said though, I did end up with extra time at the end of the exam (8 minutes if I remember right?). I think the time left was a combination of doing some of the problems quickly while also not getting the full 30 problems.

That's at least my experience. There are some people on here with high 60's and low 70's who may want to chime in as well....
That sounds like a good plan thank you! After following up again with the proctor, it just sounds like he wasn't too sure himself - he said I would be able to go back and answer old questions, but also said that it was in fact the APEX system (which the med.navy.mil site says APEX = Adaptive test). So I have a game plan for either way lol. Thanks so much for the advice and speedy reply!