• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Duc'-guy25

pilot
Additionally, are there any Marine Officer Recruiters that can tell me how competitive I would be for a guaranteed air contract if I cannot get a recall with:

ASTB 65 8/9/8
GPA 3.38 Marine Transportation/Navigation
2 Years of commissioned service with USNR
1 1/2 Years in an operational environment as a DoD Civilian Officer
I have been maxing out the Navy PRT for a couple years now (I would argue that isn't particularly hard to do)

MGB001

Took the OAR for the first time a few months ago and scored a 48. Took it again today after some studying and got a 57, I'm pretty happy with that.

connolly10574

Hey guys, took my OAR about a week ago and got a 49. Not thrilled about it. I am looking to get into SWO or Supply. I have BA in Criminal Justice with cumulative gpa 2.9. I know for SWO I would need a higher OAR score and was wondering if my score of 49 with my low gpa would get me into Supply?

Thank you!

speedroller

Rangers
During the DLT test portion of the PBMB test, has anyone tried to remove the "non-target" ear headphone off to only be able to hear the "target ear"? When I took the test I sort of leaned towards my target ear.

exNavyOffRec

Hey guys, took my OAR about a week ago and got a 49. Not thrilled about it. I am looking to get into SWO or Supply. I have BA in Criminal Justice with cumulative gpa 2.9. I know for SWO I would need a higher OAR score and was wondering if my score of 49 with my low gpa would get me into Supply?

Thank you!

Supply is one of the most competitive designators there is, they have a select rate right about 10%

Duc'-guy25

pilot
During the DLT test portion of the PBMB test, has anyone tried to remove the "non-target" ear headphone off to only be able to hear the "target ear"? When I took the test I sort of leaned towards my target ear.

I'm pretty sure that's a no-go...the entire point of dichotic listening is to be able to determine how well you can catch key phrases when you have sounds coming in both directions....in real life you can't really just turn off the radio. Trust me it's even more difficult when the people talking to you are not native english speaking...everytime I go to a ship I have to learn what the name, call sign, and hull number sound like in about 5 or 6 different languages. NSAC does not sound like November Sierra Alfa Charlie when Kogo Saki station is trying to talk to you...

zlauzon

Just took the test today for the first time and am very disappointed, I received a 38/3/5/4. None of those scores are good. I studied for hours for about a month, but just did horrible on the math and mechanical sections. I spent most of my study time on those two sections and felt I had a good grasp on the material. I read all the gouges and bought the "Military Flight Aptitude Tests" book as well. My goal is to go for Pilot, so I need to increase my scores allot. Maybe the issue is that I am a Criminal Justice major, so I haven't done math since my freshman year of college (I'm a senior now). I've actively read this site and have seen what others have done to study and mirrored them, but scored significantly lower. If anyone could give me some tips or ways they found to greatly increase their scores I would really appreciate it.

exNavyOffRec

Just took the test today for the first time and am very disappointed, I received a 38/3/5/4. None of those scores are good. I studied for hours for about a month, but just did horrible on the math and mechanical sections. I spent most of my study time on those two sections and felt I had a good grasp on the material. I read all the gouges and bought the "Military Flight Aptitude Tests" book as well. My goal is to go for Pilot, so I need to increase my scores allot. Maybe the issue is that I am a Criminal Justice major, so I haven't done math since my freshman year of college (I'm a senior now). I've actively read this site and have seen what others have done to study and mirrored them, but scored significantly lower. If anyone could give me some tips or ways they found to greatly increase their scores I would really appreciate it.

It is an aptitude test so studying will only take you so far, I have had non tech guys ace it, and tech guys get 5's, in general though tech guys do well even taking the test cold.

Gillie1985

If you would of scored higher on your Aviation part, like 8's or all 9's you would still submit with a 38 oar. I got a 38, but I have a lot of Aviation background. Both military and civilian. I also separated the two test. So I can spend a whole week going over Aviation knowledge and a few flight simulators for the hand eye coordination.

THEanimal

Gillie Keep us updated how your line scores go. I got trip 5's, 51 OAR but I know I made mistakes on the dichotic listening (I thought the voice was still giving examples when it switched and went into test mode) and the emergency procedures (yellow is high, red is low power?) Anyways, having an AM background you should be fine- I was a USMC 6217 (AD) and all the stuff I got was simple knowledge.

So I asked my recruiter again about NFO and he was adamant that they won't accept packages. Think he's just pushing to get a package in for submission quota? Which isn't really a problem, I'm in this for the Navy, not to throw a fit if I don't get my first choice. I didn't feel like pushing him on the subject- I want a good write up :) - so now I'm aiming at SNA/SWO...

Gillie1985

It sucks but that what it sounds like, The thing is they could look at you and you could get picked up. Most..key word most recruiters won't push your packet unless they can make their quota off of it. I got an OAR of 38 and my recruiter said if i can pull off 8's or 9's across the board next week he will submit my packet for NFO. He said and i quote "I can't make my quota of a low OAR score, but I'm more about getting you closer to your goal. And that's my job to make sure you can get back to active duty" He knows how bad I want to get back to Active duty, so he said screw his quota and is going to help me get picked up. What also helps is good interviews from some higher up officers. I'm getting my prior C.O who is now a Naval Capt and two other Aircraft Carrier Captains as well. So hopefully I can pull of some high line scores and be going to MEPS in about a week or so.

THEanimal

Same here, I really, really want to get back active so that's why I'm not fighting the whole ordeal. I'm not bad mouthing my OR at all; he seems genuinely interested but I know the game and how it's played. I even thought about going to an NROTC and trying to get an active slot out of that if I don't get selected haha.. My LOR's are from a DoJ Special Agent and a USMC LtCol who is also a DSS Special Agent, both of whom I worked under during my special duty with the State Dept as an embassy Marine. Then all my OMPF files, good FITREPs etc etc. So I'm banking on the 'whole person concept' with my prior service despite some kinda dirty ASTB scores. And if it doesn't pan out with this board I will just retest and push them up. Anyways, we shall see what happens in Feb.

exNavyOffRec

It sucks but that what it sounds like, The thing is they could look at you and you could get picked up. Most..key word most recruiters won't push your packet unless they can make their quota off of it. I got an OAR of 38 and my recruiter said if i can pull off 8's or 9's across the board next week he will submit my packet for NFO. He said and i quote "I can't make my quota of a low OAR score, but I'm more about getting you closer to your goal. And that's my job to make sure you can get back to active duty" He knows how bad I want to get back to Active duty, so he said screw his quota and is going to help me get picked up. What also helps is good interviews from some higher up officers. I'm getting my prior C.O who is now a Naval Capt and two other Aircraft Carrier Captains as well. So hopefully I can pull of some high line scores and be going to MEPS in about a week or so.

What he means is he can't get "application credit", but that really doesn't matter if you get picked up.

If you don't have a good FOFAR interviews won't really help, I have seen several guys with crappy PFAR scores and great interviews from senior officers never get in, so get good scores!!

exNavyOffRec

Gillie Keep us updated how your line scores go. I got trip 5's, 51 OAR but I know I made mistakes on the dichotic listening (I thought the voice was still giving examples when it switched and went into test mode) and the emergency procedures (yellow is high, red is low power?) Anyways, having an AM background you should be fine- I was a USMC 6217 (AD) and all the stuff I got was simple knowledge.

So I asked my recruiter again about NFO and he was adamant that they won't accept packages. Think he's just pushing to get a package in for submission quota? Which isn't really a problem, I'm in this for the Navy, not to throw a fit if I don't get my first choice. I didn't feel like pushing him on the subject- I want a good write up :) - so now I'm aiming at SNA/SWO...

RUFIO posted that NRC just sent out a notification not to submit NFO or Intel applications

THEanimal

RUFIO posted that NRC just sent out a notification not to submit NFO or Intel applications

Well Sir that about puts a nail in it, that's exactly what I was going for and what my OR steered me away from. Thanks for the info since it's hard to bounce between all the threads and keep up on all the intel.