• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Tasha

Has anybody pre-ordered Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests 3rd edition? Does it seem like a good idea? It doesn't come out until October 1st, and I know that when the new Accepted, Inc. book came out, it had a lot of errors. Am I better off just getting the 2011 edition?
NMMI huh? I had several family members go there :) Angel Reyes is my cousin, though he graduated in 2012 and is at West Point right now. As far as pre-ordering your book. When do you take your test? Accepted does have quite a few errors but they're easy to catch if you do outside research. Personally, Barron's and Accepted are enough information. You're going to need to do some outside research etc. Accepted INC does a good job with simplifying parts of a plane and what not. During my test I was asked a series of questions relating to the air force and naval history. If you have any other questions you can go ahead and shoot me a PM. I'll try my best to help. :)

Kavon

NMMI huh? I had several family members go there :) Angel Reyes is my cousin, though he graduated in 2012 and is at West Point right now. As far as pre-ordering your book. When do you take your test? Accepted does have quite a few errors but they're easy to catch if you do outside research. Personally, Barron's and Accepted are enough information. You're going to need to do some outside research etc. Accepted INC does a good job with simplifying parts of a plane and what not. During my test I was asked a series of questions relating to the air force and naval history. If you have any other questions you can go ahead and shoot me a PM. I'll try my best to help. :)
I remember him! He was cadre during my RAT year if I'm not mistaken. Based on advice I got from NavyOffRec, since I won't be graduating until May 2016, I should get in contact with a recruiter around late fall 2015, so I imagine I'll be testing sometime around then. I understand I have a whole lot of time. I may just wait until the new Barron's edition comes out, and then gauge peoples' reactions to see if there are any errors. Thanks for your help! I'll let you know if I need anything else.

Heels

Hey everyone. Took the ASTB earlier this week. Scored a 57 6/6/6. Was pretty happy with the OAR, not so much the aviation scores. My recruiter was excited and said it would be competitive, but looking around AW for the last few months has me thinking otherwise. I graduated in May with a degree in economics and history; 3.1 GPA. I've got strong LOR's from former military, professors and an employer. Looks like I won't be making it into the next board due to an issue with MEPS and a concussion from high school, so might try and take the ASTB again before the next board.

As far as the test itself, the gouge in this thread and around the site were extremely helpful for the OAR portions. I was worried about the math because I only had maybe twelve in that section, and none of them were difficult at all. Don't think I did very well on the UAV section as I was trying to go pretty much as quickly as possible and definitely made some bonehead selections. Now just waiting on the MEPS ordeal...

Kavon

I'm using Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests to study and I was wondering, what exactly is the "custom algorithm" used to score the practice ASTB tests in the book? I can't seem to find any way to score the test. If there's no way, what's a good indicator, based on my performance on the practice test, that I'm on the right track?

Donald Auld

Ok guys,

I am very new to AW. I wish I would have known about this site a month ago. I just finished the ASTB this morning and my recruiter seemed very pleased with my score, but I am not so sure.

I got, 5/6/5 51.

I am looking to go pilot or NFO. This seems low looking at other scores on this site. Should I retake the ASTB? I know I did well on the Math and Mechanical Comprehension, but I know I messed up the reading.

Anyway, I am a senior Civil Engineering student at Texas Tech University with a 3.25 GPA several officer positions in organizations, including two president positions. I have also worked for two engineering firms, one of which I am currently employed by. I know several of professional engineers and professors that will be solid references for me.

What are your thoughts? Should I retake the ASTB or stay where I am at?

exNavyOffRec

Ok guys,

I am very new to AW. I wish I would have known about this site a month ago. I just finished the ASTB this morning and my recruiter seemed very pleased with my score, but I am not so sure.

I got, 5/6/5 51.

I am looking to go pilot or NFO. This seems low looking at other scores on this site. Should I retake the ASTB? I know I did well on the Math and Mechanical Comprehension, but I know I messed up the reading.

Anyway, I am a senior Civil Engineering student at Texas Tech University with a 3.25 GPA several officer positions in organizations, including two president positions. I have also worked for two engineering firms, one of which I am currently employed by. I know several of professional engineers and professors that will be solid references for me.

What are your thoughts? Should I retake the ASTB or stay where I am at?

Since there is a 90 day wait in between test you should be able to be seen by one board before you retest, but I would study and plan to retest and reapply, when boards are competitive getting picked up with 5's or 6's is rare.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Since there is a 90 day wait in between test you should be able to be seen by one board before you retest, but I would study and plan to retest and reapply, when boards are competitive getting picked up with 5's or 6's is rare.

I wouldn't say 6's are rare. I'd roll the dice if an applicant has straight 6s for ASTB scores.

exNavyOffRec

I wouldn't say 6's are rare. I'd roll the dice if an applicant has straight 6s for ASTB scores.

I think when you came on recruiting things opened up and the SNA boards were taking lots of people, and with the new PQ requirement I think things will be a bit different then when I was doing this, but during the time I was at my NRD I never saw an applicant picked up with 5's or 6's, with the 90 day retest rule I would tell the applicant to study but still submit the kit.

AT2toNFO

Muskrat
None
I'm using Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests to study and I was wondering, what exactly is the "custom algorithm" used to score the practice ASTB tests in the book? I can't seem to find any way to score the test. If there's no way, what's a good indicator, based on my performance on the practice test, that I'm on the right track?

Hey Kavon,
I used the Barrons study guide too. I found it to be very helpful. I scored 6s & 7s with a high 50 something on the OAR and was selected for NFO. Not the best scores I have heard of, but good enough to get selected... As far as your score is concerned, and I'm not trying to be sarcastic here, get most of the questions right and you're doing well. If you get lots of questions wrong, you're not doing well. Its as simple as that. Just use the successful study habits you employed during college that earned you that 3.86 GPA, learn the material, and you'll do fine. If there's one thing I've learned on AD and here on AW, it is: learn what you can, stay in shape, relax, and you will be fine.

Kavon

Hey Kavon,
I used the Barrons study guide too. I found it to be very helpful. I scored 6s & 7s with a high 50 something on the OAR and was selected for NFO. Not the best scores I have heard of, but good enough to get selected... As far as your score is concerned, and I'm not trying to be sarcastic here, get most of the questions right and you're doing well. If you get lots of questions wrong, you're not doing well. Its as simple as that. Just use the successful study habits you employed during college that earned you that 3.86 GPA, learn the material, and you'll do fine. If there's one thing I've learned on AD and here on AW, it is: learn what you can, stay in shape, relax, and you will be fine.
Thank you for the feedback and motivation. I spoke with an officer recruiter, and hopefully I should take the ASTB sometime this week or next week. I'm still a junior, but I'm starting the tests early so that I can be sure I've taken full advantage of retests by the time I can actually submit a packet. I took the first practice test in the Barron's book having not studied anything, and the only sections with which I really had issues were the reading comprehension and aviation/nautical information (my mechanical comprehension could use some work too), but I've been studying like it's nobody's business so hopefully I can get this thing in the bag. Thanks again, and congratulations on your selection.

AT2toNFO

Muskrat
None
Thank you for the feedback and motivation. I spoke with an officer recruiter, and hopefully I should take the ASTB sometime this week or next week. I'm still a junior, but I'm starting the tests early so that I can be sure I've taken full advantage of retests by the time I can actually submit a packet. I took the first practice test in the Barron's book having not studied anything, and the only sections with which I really had issues were the reading comprehension and aviation/nautical information (my mechanical comprehension could use some work too), but I've been studying like it's nobody's business so hopefully I can get this thing in the bag. Thanks again, and congratulations on your selection.

You're welcome, and thank you!

Btw, I applied my junior year too. You're smart to apply early, as the application process can take quite a while.

Kavon

You're welcome, and thank you!

Btw, I applied my junior year too. You're smart to apply early, as the application process can take quite a while.
That's interesting, I didn't think that many other people started this early. If it's not too much trouble, could you give me an approximate timetable of when the steps in the process for you took place, such as flight physical, boards, etc? It seems like I can't really do anything for at least another year besides take the ASTB.

AT2toNFO

Muskrat
None
That's interesting, I didn't think that many other people started this early. If it's not too much trouble, could you give me an approximate timetable of when the steps in the process for you took place, such as flight physical, boards, etc? It seems like I can't really do anything for at least another year besides take the ASTB.

Sure, no problem. As much help as I've received here on AW, I'm happy to be able to help someone else if I can.

First, I should clarify this in response to RUFiO181. I applied at the end of my junior year, during summer semester. Either way, if you start researching now, keep your GPA up and nose clean, you'll be all the more prepared for it.

Dates:
JUN or JUL2013 - Initial application. (applied for NA, NFO, SWO, & INTEL in that order) Took ASTB (6,6,7 and high fifty something OAR)
I rolled through Fall and Winter 2013 boards because they changed the instruction to require the MEPS physical prior to board. Not sure if recruiter dropped the ball or if I was just a victim of bureaucratic policy change. I'm sure one of our resident recruiter could offer his .02 here.
JAN14 - MEPS physical (FML - went down to MEPS the day of "Snowpocalypse" in Atlanta. Spent 14 hours on I-75 in Atlanta. Toyota truck? not comfortable to sleep in when you are 6'4"...)
Rolled through one more board in JAN2014
MAY2014 - Selected for NFO
02OCT2014 - Received OCS date (18JAN2015)
No FINSEL (final select) letter yet.

Kavon

Sure, no problem. As much help as I've received here on AW, I'm happy to be able to help someone else if I can.

First, I should clarify this in response to RUFiO181. I applied at the end of my junior year, during summer semester. Either way, if you start researching now, keep your GPA up and nose clean, you'll be all the more prepared for it.

Dates:
JUN or JUL2013 - Initial application. (applied for NA, NFO, SWO, & INTEL in that order) Took ASTB (6,6,7 and high fifty something OAR)
I rolled through Fall and Winter 2013 boards because they changed the instruction to require the MEPS physical prior to board. Not sure if recruiter dropped the ball or if I was just a victim of bureaucratic policy change. I'm sure one of our resident recruiter could offer his .02 here.
JAN14 - MEPS physical (FML - went down to MEPS the day of "Snowpocalypse" in Atlanta. Spent 14 hours on I-75 in Atlanta. Toyota truck? not comfortable to sleep in when you are 6'4"...)
Rolled through one more board in JAN2014
MAY2014 - Selected for NFO
02OCT2014 - Received OCS date (18JAN2015)
No FINSEL (final select) letter yet.
Thanks for doing that, it's good to know roughly what sort of time frame I'm looking at. Sorry about the snowpocalypse, I'm not from a part of the country where I've ever had to deal with something like that.

I'll write back on here after I take the ASTB.