• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

RockinTheBit07

Ok that makes sense, I must have miss understood thinking I couldn't. I applaud you, a day after MEPS...that is rough! I was there for 9 hours and don't think I would have done so well if I was in your shoes taking the test. I made the mistake of scheduling my first test and hour after I got off work, which did not work out.

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
No same day as meps but after. Passed everything at meps but have to have a psych consult cause I lost 3 jobs in the last 10 years :/

cjd3

Thanks for the responses, I need to work on my long division and times tables to be quicker. The mechanical comprehension is what worries me the most. Like said before, I studied hard for this section, but going in, it was like a foreign language. This is why I should have taken a physics class in high school, because now i'm trying to learn the basics in 3 weeks. When taking it on the computer, can you skip a question and go back? I could have sworn my processor told me I couldn't, so I panicked in the math section and tried to get every question right off the bat, which ended up costing me like 4 unanswered questions. MrSpenz-- Wow that was quite the improvement! When I re-took it and only bumped up two points....I was extremely disappointed.
You can skip questions. When you complete a question the background for that question number becomes green, if you're unsure of your answer you can highlight it to come back to it later and it will show up yellow, or you can skip it completely and it'll stay white. That way you can quickly go through and answer what you know, skip/highlight what you don't and just go back to the white/yellow ones after.

SaltyDawg85

What exact study material did you use?

I used the ARCO Officer Candidate Tests book, 7th edition, in conjunction with material I found very helpful at www.tpub.com/content - basically an index of tons of topics but you can find all the review material you need on mechanical and electrical there. I also searched for all the practice OAR material I could find on this forum. Any practice test I could find - I took.

Mr Spenz

pilot
Honestly everyone says the Arco book. It truly didn't help because they are so simple and the drawings are much more advanced. Here are my rules: ABC.
A= determine ATTITUDE
B= determine BANK
C= determine COAST
Attitude and Bank are the easiest to do. With Coast just look at the horizion. If only water is touching the horizion plance is flying out to sea, if its land the plane is flying inland, but if there is land and water touching the horizion it is along the coast NO MATTER what. I honestly placed the most time on the Aviation section as it is knowledge based and easiest to improve on. I dont feel that any of the spatial study material from the study guides help.

Mr Spenz

pilot
Took the OAR last week - scored a 57 on my first attempt!

Thanks go out to all of you who posted valuable study material.

Congrats! Ya I got a 61 was really happy about that. I firmly believe that the OAR is very important as if you fail OCS you can't move on IMHO. I am very competitive and was kinda upset cause my recruiter told me my OAR was the second best he has seen (some damn kid got a 61 lol). What are you going for?

B619

Hello, I'm new here and I am planning to take the ASTB (OAR portion) by the middle of next month. My recruiter gave me this to study: http://www.buffalomarines.com/ASTBGouge.pdf which I have already seen around here. Just to clarify... I just need to study the Math, Reading, and Mechanical portion and NOT the Aviation and Nautical Information part of the study guide he gave me?

I have also been using the Arco practice tests found on this forum to study. I feel ok with the math portion but not the mechanical or reading. I took physics only in middle school so I have lots of learning to do for the mechanical portion. The reason I'm not comfortable on the reading is because the only practice/study guide I can use is the Arco practice test which is not enough for me to study and feel ready. If anyone has any recommendations for the reading portion please feel free to help

Mr Spenz

pilot
Look on Amazon. They have a study guide for solely the OAR portion. Honestly don't worry about the problems rather understand the concepts and apply them to the OAR section. It's an aptitude test not a knowledge test. I focused on concepts and raised my OAR score from a 48 to a 61

Mr Spenz

pilot
As for reading I would suggest being an active reader and to remember the answer HAS TO COME FROM THE PASSAGE NOTHING ELSE!

B619

I'm trying to apply concepts rather than memorize for the mechanical portion especially since I'm not that great in physics or science so its like a brand new learning process for me. For math I can have some sort of an idea on what I'm looking at since my major focused on a lot of math. It's just rust that I have to brush off like learning the basic rules again, learning how to multiply and divide decimals, and all that basic stuff since I was so used to using a calculator. I'll keep that idea on the reading portion. It seems like the only concept there is for it lol. I'm just worried because I'm such a slow reader and my vocabulary isn't that great at times.

Going back to my question... There is no need to study the Aviation and Nautical Information part for the OAR, correct?