• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

PatrolFighter

pilot
Depends on the mission, and there are always exceptions, but in general launches do not happen that early. Most ships run ~12 hour fly day because (among other things) the deck crew can only work so many hours. What I've seen most for normal deployed operations is mid morning start of flight ops, but again, it depends on the tasking.

I guess I’m a bit naive but is the carrier not rigged for 24/7 flight ops?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess I’m a bit naive but is the carrier not rigged for 24/7 flight ops?
It is, but you rarely do so. Very hard on people and equipment. Not enough time for inspection and maintenance of aircraft or cat and arresting gear. Just wears people out as well. I once was in a 3 carrier battle group than ran 24/7 for close to 3 weeks with only a single night off here and there. At the time it was historic. It just isn't done much.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It is, but you rarely do so. Very hard on people and equipment. Not enough time for inspection and maintenance of aircraft or cat and arresting gear. Just wears people out as well. I once was in a 3 carrier battle group than ran 24/7 for close to 3 weeks with only a single night off here and there. At the time it was historic. It just isn't done much.

A point of order...it rarely does so for fixed-wing ops. What many (but certainly not all) fixed-wing guys don't realize is the helos are still operating in order to fill the fixed-wing gap and to ground-turn for FCFs. Yes, the helos aren't usually operating from the big deck, but they're still up as part of the CVW, helping cover the CVW's airplan.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So you are saying Helo guys are hero studs and tacair are a bunch of slackers?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Um no. Nice try. "We" each have our times to fly/execute the mission.
I was not being serious. The smiley option on my phone is no longer active. Haven't figured out why. In fact, all the options at the top are inop. Can't link anything, bold, etc.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I was not being serious. The smiley option on my phone is no longer active. Haven't figured out why. In fact, all the options at the top are inop. Can't link anything, bold, etc.

Copy. I just didn't want anyone to think it was meant as a butt-hurt comment, just that more goes on around the carrier than some on the carrier are aware of. HSM-72s last deployment was especially painful in this regard.

MGoBrew11

pilot
For the jet guys:

I was watching a cruise video for the Dambusters the other day and noticed there were different variations in the same video for the helmets they were wearing. Some looked like the same helmet I wore in the T-6 in primary and others looked like the "modern" ones you see F-35 guys wearing.

This is the HUD extension correct? Is it just mounted on your helmet when appropriate or is it a totally different helmet? Does everyone get one? How is it determined what missions you wear it? And does it project the image onto your visor?

Couldn't find the answers in a search and definitely curious. Looks way more gucci than the helo helmets.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For the jet guys:

I was watching a cruise video for the Dambusters the other day and noticed there were different variations in the same video for the helmets they were wearing. Some looked like the same helmet I wore in the T-6 in primary and others looked like the "modern" ones you see F-35 guys wearing.

This is the HUD extension correct? Is it just mounted on your helmet when appropriate or is it a totally different helmet? Does everyone get one? How is it determined what missions you wear it? And does it project the image onto your visor?

Couldn't find the answers in a search and definitely curious. Looks way more gucci than the helo helmets.
Different helmet. In theory every fleet guy gets one, but like everything else, supply issues can interfere with that ideal. In my experience, most guys wear them all the time. It projects the image on the visor for you right eye only. Sounds weird, but it's not. It's a bit more than just HUD info. You also can see MIDS PPLIs and some other symbology. You can also use it to make an A/G designation or tell your radar where you want it to look. You can basically look at an aircraft in HACQ mode and the radar will lock it up, or look at a point on the ground and create a designation. One of the most useful features in a 2-seat cockpit is that ability to see where the other crewmember is looking. That makes calling out traffic or things on the ground a piece of cake.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
You can basically look at an aircraft in HACQ mode and the radar will lock it up, or look at a point on the ground and create a designation.
That sounds pretty much like this:

giphy.gif

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Different helmet. In theory every fleet guy gets one, but like everything else, supply issues can interfere with that ideal. In my experience, most guys wear them all the time. It projects the image on the visor for you right eye only. Sounds weird, but it's not. It's a bit more than just HUD info. You also can see MIDS PPLIs and some other symbology. You can also use it to make an A/G designation or tell your radar where you want it to look. You can basically look at an aircraft in HACQ mode and the radar will lock it up, or look at a point on the ground and create a designation. One of the most useful features in a 2-seat cockpit is that ability to see where the other crewmember is looking. That makes calling out traffic or things on the ground a piece of cake.

It’s called the Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System (JHMCS). It’s connected to the jet by a separate umbilical in addition to the normal Comm/O2 hose. In addition to what @Brett327 said, there are also NVDs that can be substituted in place of the normal visor (NVCDs). They project the same cueing information. There’s also a clear visor for the JHMCS that’s ostensibly for nighttime usage, but it tends to show double symbology, so I hardly ever used it.