• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Degree Requirement for Supply?

navsup

BDCP Supply
Getting masters and shore duty

I have a question about getting my masters after I am in the Navy for a while. The recruiter had told me that we could go to monterrey CA., to get our masters. My questions is, Is that a civilian school? My wife wants to get her masters at the same time that I do. Can we get our masters somewhere else such as our alma mater and still get paid to do it? My next question is, where do supply officers usually do there shore duty, and what would they do during that time? The reason I ask is I was interviewed for my app. by a Navy supply officer at tinker air force base in oklahoma. I would like to try to get stationed near my Dad during my shore time but he lives in Iowa. what other inland duty stations are there? Are they usually all recruiter positions? I wouldnt mind that. thanks

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Navy PG School is for DOD only. A great school. Better than any other available in the other services. There are programs that put you in school in virtually any civilian school. Lots of shore duty options. Supply Corp guys actually have some unusal opportunites due to their contract administration duties, among others. We had a Supply guy in my recruiting office a few years ago. It is rare, but obviously, it can happen. I have never seen a Supply Corp guy as an ROTC instructor, but if available, that is a great deal. Most schools consider you faculty and you and spouse could get deals on tuition. You will have at least three years to learn about shore duty billets before you have to worry about it. I'm sure you will be satisfied.

jaerose

What about for Naval Aviators? I want to get at least a Masters in a science related field, so will I have to do it on my own, or can I do the NPGS? Will they pay me to do it at a school of my choosing...like say, Purdue? I do plan on using the tuition assistance to get an online MBA, but I want a science related masters degree (or doctorate) as well. Is it difficult for aviators to do this? Will I lose stick skills, or could I take classes close to an airfield and keep current? Thanks.

JR

schmuckatelli

There are tons of education benefits for you to use - it just depends on how much effort you are willing to put into your education. If you are based anywhere near a community college you can go there to beef up on the basics (like if you majored in history as an undergrad but want to take some biology or whatever). In addition to actually going to Monterey NPS also offers online classes. Since they are web based you can do them anywhere you have a computer and a decent internet connection. I am currently on sea duty and am enrolled in a certificate program through NPS online.

For the married person, if you go to NPS your wife could get a masters from CSU Monterey. Right now they only offer graduate degrees in four things so your wife would have to be interested in one of those things. However, if you didn't mind living apart from your wife and you could afford it (or you have relatives in the area) your wife could live in the Bay Area and get a masters at one of many great institutions including Stanford, UC Berkeley, and San Jose State. Monterey is about 1-1.5 hours from San Jose and probably about 2-2.5 hours from San Francisco (with no traffic; it is much, much longer with traffic). If you are not from California and don't know anything about housing prices in the area this is probably not very feasible but is still something to think about.

If you end up in the San Diego area on a shore tour there is UCSD and SDSU. You and your wife could both attend classes and get a masters together.

The Navy values education so it would be in your best interest to get as much of it as you can!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Makes no real difference what your designator is. All the post grad programs are open to everyone. Some, like Engineering Duty Officers, also have community specific programs. If you go to school full time you will not fly. Can't just run down to the local NAS and jump in a plane. Hasn't worked that way since the 1960s. You will go uncurrent and when ordered back to a squadron you will go the RAG for a few week Cat II sylabus to get requaled. It is routine. It will happen to you at least a couple times in your career. Just a few weeks in the RAG and you are back to your old self. Doesn't hurt your career. The Navy wants you to get post grad education.

jaerose

Sweet...I'm glad that's the case. I am really into furthering myself through education and would like to get all the fun abbreviations behind my name some day!

JR

navsup

BDCP Supply
How does it work at monterrey, do you get a regular salary plus free tuition? do you do actual navy work at the same time? I was under the impression that you didnt do navy work and if that was the case I would think it wouldnt be any different than going to a regular state university. Actually i would like to have my recruiters job. work 16 hours a week in a college town and get my masters at that time.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And there are no uniforms or military duty at all. It is just like a civilian university except the caliber of students is much more professional. I never met a person that went to NPGS that didn't completly enjoy the experience.

jaerose

How is your time commitment affected by going to NPS, or by using the tuition assistance? Do you serve that time concurrently with your original obligation, or is it tacked onto the end of your commitment?

JR

schmuckatelli

Education payback tours are different in length depending on the program you use but are generally served concurrently with any other obligations you have. For TA it is two years from the end of the last class you take that is paid for with TA funds. Other programs that give you more money can have a 36 month commitement from the time you finish your degree. When you apply for a program just make sure you read the instruction carefully so you know what your commitment will be. There is usually a blurb in there about a paying back the money on a pro-rated basis if you get out so the commitment is not hard-and-fast. Just be prepared to shell out some cash if you get out before your (education benefit) commitment is up.

Grant73

From the instructions I know the require or want a degree in Business, Eng, or math related field. I am getting my degree in Human Resource Management. Would this satisfy the degree requirement, or do they want the business concentration to be in Markting, Accounting, Management or Financial managagement?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Degree requirement for what?....to get your commission? For that you will need a bachelor's degree. Doesn't really matter what it is in just so long as you have it.

Grant73

Steve Wilkins said:
Degree requirement for what?....to get your commission? For that you will need a bachelor's degree. Doesn't really matter what it is in just so long as you have it.
For Supply Corps.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That was his point - your degree can be in anything as long as you get a degree. It doesn't matter. You could work in supply with a Biology degree if you wanted (I think).