• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Current wait for IFS and API?

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
Couldn't find this with a search...

What's the current wait for pilots for IFS and then API?

Just trying to plan my life for the next few months here.

UMichfly

pilot
None
It really all depends on how proactive you are about getting past NAMI and getting your FAA physical. It took me two months exactly from checking in to starting IFS (last Wednesday) but I was hung up waiting on a waiver from NAMI and a redes package. If you're proactive and the NAMI/FAA process goes smoothly, you could be starting IFS within a month and through it in 2 if you go to Bay Minette (they push you through really quick).

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Are people showing up w/ follow on orders for primary, or are we getting orders for primary while in p'cola?

UMichfly

pilot
None
As far as I know, it's situation normal WRT to follow-on orders. I think the gouge on this site is correct as far as who is and isn't getting follow on orders.

SQUIDutah

pilot
It really all depends on how proactive you are about getting past NAMI and getting your FAA physical. It took me two months exactly from checking in to starting IFS (last Wednesday) but I was hung up waiting on a waiver from NAMI and a redes package. If you're proactive and the NAMI/FAA process goes smoothly, you could be starting IFS within a month and through it in 2 if you go to Bay Minette (they push you through really quick).

You can always volunteer for a stash job with flight management. Then you class up when you want. :D Do you want my slot in FM?

Get your check in the boxes in this order (anthro, helmet fit, NAMI, FAA physical... then wait for IFS).

Also FYI so you don't waste $50. The command is no longer allowing FAA physical to be done on the outside. Fleet medical will be asking you to turn your head and cough for now.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Or, you could spend almost six months waiting for API, like me. I reported on the 5th of July and I finish IFS next week. There are alot of factors that go into the amount of time you will wait. Medical, number of people in A-pool, medical, how long your IFS school takes to move you through, medical. etc.. etc..

My advice: Don't worry about it. Have a beer.

Cavrone

J-Hooah
pilot
My Navy roomate started IFS about 3 weeks after checking in to Pensacola. Me (Marine) on the other hand, I've been here since July waiting for IFS.

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
Are they generally lenient about giving you time if you've got medical issues?

I had a wrist surgery before OCS that still bugs me a little and, if possible, I'd like to get another look at it to see if anything can be done.

The problem is that it's probably considered optional. Any gouge on this? Would I be able to get my date pushed back or am I just gonna have to take what they give me?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Are they generally lenient about giving you time if you've got medical issues?

I had a wrist surgery before OCS that still bugs me a little and, if possible, I'd like to get another look at it to see if anything can be done.

The problem is that it's probably considered optional. Any gouge on this? Would I be able to get my date pushed back or am I just gonna have to take what they give me?

You don't have a date, regardless of what any order says. It's when you get all your crap done and they have room in a class, which may be right away or may be 6 months.

If you're broke, see the doc. If you're med down, chances are they won't start you. If the doc can help you be fixed, fix the problem. You don't want it to come up later when timing and scheduling actually matters.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
When I left, it was a couple weeks for FAA and a LONG wait for IFS. In addition, if you need to get a NAMI phys (OCS in RI, not sure if you did it there or not) that will be a fair wait too. Expect to be drinking and sleeping a LOT in the near future. Congrats!

Flyboylance

New VR FTS select
pilot
Medical now or at P'cola

I am currently one year out from graduating. I am a STA-21 Pilot option and I was curious if I needed to go ahead and get my physical updated before I report. Any help would be needed.

Thanks

jnb921

This is from the Jan API thread, but thought it could help you out...

I am in the third week of IFS right now, reported to Pensacola on 4 OCT. The wait, as of that time, was about three to four weeks if you pushed it. You sign up for your own anthro and dental appointments. Also, they usually sign you up for your NOMI physical almost as soon as you get down here, took me about two weeks. The IFS physical takes a while because you have to do it on base, no more going into town to do it. They took a while to schedule me for that, but when I left they were having sign up sheets for that too because they were not filled either.

Also, they have been hurting for people to get into API. People who finished IFS on Tuesday were starting API friday. A couple of classes have been going unfilled. Last I heard, the class right behind me is going straight into API before IFS and doing IFS once they are done with API. I don't know if this is permanent or just to fill up the classes before Christmas, but if you are IFS complete you are going to be starting up as soon as you get the NOMI done. Couple of my buddies started within a week of getting down.

UMichfly

pilot
None
Last I heard, the class right behind me is going straight into API before IFS and doing IFS once they are done with API. I don't know if this is permanent or just to fill up the classes before Christmas,

It's been a day or two (4) since I've been in the magic of A-pool but that may be bum gouge at this point jnb921. They were going to try doing API prior to IFS a few weeks back but they backed down from that about 2 hours after they tried to do it and decided to stick with IFS first. I'll let some of you flight management guys who are lurking in here give the good gouge but as far as I know, they axed the API then IFS plan.

ImfromJersey

The "real" secret

Unless anyone finds a crystal ball any time soon, I don't think anyone will be able to predict class up or wait times. It all depends on what Flight Management, IFS, NOMI, Dental, etc. needs that very day. My humble advice is BE PROACTIVE. Be a pain in the ass. Call up NOMI and schedule appointments, go to Flight Management multiple times in the morning, go to the IFS office and see if they have extra slots. People might look down on this, but who cares. You'll be done and they won't. I've been down here only two months and I'm already done with IFS, simply because I weaseled my way into appointments, slots, etc. I didn't do anything underhanded or screw over any shipmates, I worked my stash job like a champ and volunteered when needed, but I also just happened to be in the right place at the right time when they needed people. Just be proactive. You can sit around in A-Pool for 6 months if you really want to, but you can be done in 2 if you make it happen. Good luck, and if you class up for IFS and you're looking to finish quick, choose Eglin AFB and Col. Miles. 3 weeks of hell, but it's only 3 weeks.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Be a pain in the ass. Call up NOMI and schedule appointments, go to Flight Management multiple times in the morning, go to the IFS office and see if they have extra slots.

If you're a Marine, don't do this. You'll find yourself pulled into the dreaded MOC office as a stash job so you can see the big picture.