• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How is the flightschool workload? I want to earn a second degree through online courses.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I wouldn't recommend it. You'll have down time, but the problem in aviation is that downtime isn't consistent so unless it's something you can do whenever you're free and not on a set schedule you'll have a tough time. Plus, flight school gets pretty busy and you're learning your job so I'd focus on that. You'll have plenty of time later in your career to earn a degree and a lot of great opportunities available for education.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You may have some periods of downtime while you wait to class up or start certain phases of training. Conversely, there will be times when you are extraordinarily busy and will need to focus 100% of your time and efforts on your training. Naval Aviation will be the focus of your professional life for th next 8-10 years. I would caution you against taking your eye off of that football in the short term.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
It's tough...it's not so much the amount of hours we work, it's the constantly changing schedule of the hours we work. You never know what time you gotta be at work until 6-7pm the night before. Makes it tough to plan a class where you might have to participate in something (like a test) at a certain time. You're not expected to ask to be off the flight schedule...well, ever really.

Not to mention what the guys said above is true...you're gonna have a lot on your plate already. Might wanna focus on that for a while.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Flight school work load = significant enough that a considerable amount of people can't complete it.

College work load = significant enough that a considerable amount of people can't complete it.

Flight school + college work load = significant enough that you probably wouldn't complete either of them.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flight school workload is comparable to a tough graduate school program - with the significant difference that you have an "exam" nearly every day (in the sense that you'll be personally tested on your knowledge). Also that stumbling in hung over is rather more frowned upon in flight school.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
I knocked some credits out while in flight school. I wish that I had of been more aggressive and started them earlier so I could get more done. Yeah, you'll be busy... but once you figure out how to manage your schedule and how to sget the most out of studying flight school stuff for the least amount of effort you'll realize you have a lot more white space than you would have thought.

No one else is going to look out for you and help you achieve your personal goals unless it coincides with theirs. Don't be scared.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Wait till after flight school. Focus on the learning, flying, socializing, and just being in flight school. It's like nothing else you will ever do.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Flight school workload is comparable to a tough graduate school program

You need to look at flight school as grad school. It's the school you go to so you can work in your chosen profession. Aspiring douchebags, eh hem - attorneys, don't generally dabble in other areas of study during law school. Also, a large part of flight school is relationship building. I encourage you not to be the guy who can't go to a barbecue, night out, or weekend road trip because you're studying for a non-flight school related exam.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
The flight school workload pretty much maxed me out...but then again I wasn't exactly the ace-of-the-base...except on opposite day...then I was the ace-of-the-base. I had to put 110% into the job at hand...flight school. I did know of a few individuals that pursued outside educational ventures successfully but they were the aces-of-the-base.