• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Introduction and request for some guidance

banjosquirrel

It can't hurt to apply, but they're at least as competitive as intel, and I'm pretty sure there are fewer billets. For IW, they're going to want a strong math background, which you don't mention having (or not having).
Thanks, good to know. I definitely don't have a strong math background, at least in terms of college classes. I think right now I'll plan on applying to Intel, probably IW because the worst that can happen is a no, and SWO. Recruiter says I should apply to Supply but after reading a good bit about it it sounds like it's really more for business or accounting oriented people.

exNavyOffRec

Thanks, good to know. I definitely don't have a strong math background, at least in terms of college classes. I think right now I'll plan on applying to Intel, probably IW because the worst that can happen is a no, and SWO. Recruiter says I should apply to Supply but after reading a good bit about it it sounds like it's really more for business or accounting oriented people.

SWO must be 1st or 2nd to go to board, any IDC designator often needs to be 1st or 2nd to be picked, Supply rarely picks anyone that doesn't put them 1st, so listing all that you have mentioned won't work out well.

robav8r

None
Contributor
I think right now I'll plan on applying to Intel, probably IW because the worst that can happen is a no, and SWO.
Dude - this is an Aviation site filled (for the most part) with testosterone/estrogen fueled, type-A personalities that love what we do, are passionate about our jobs, and don't like wishy-washy, limp-noodle wanna-be's. If you want to join this club (any & all designators), then dig down deep, discover your passion and commit 100%. But please, don't waste anyone's time with a "I'll probably apply to (fill in your favorite designator of the day) because the worst thing that can happen is a "no."

Come on man !!!

kayteedee

Dude - this is an Aviation site filled (for the most part) with testosterone/estrogen fueled, type-A personalities that love what we do, are passionate about our jobs, and don't like wishy-washy, limp-noodle wanna-be's. If you want to join this club (any & all designators), then dig down deep, discover your passion and commit 100%. But please, don't waste anyone's time with a "I'll probably apply to (fill in your favorite designator of the day) because the worst thing that can happen is a "no."

Come on man !!!
And going off of that, you're going to be doing this for a while. Make sure you're in a field that you'll at least enjoy a little bit. It's your life, which means it's yours for the taking! If they say no, you can reapply. The advice I've heard from nearly all of my friends in the military and the vets I know is to try your hardest (and wait it out if it doesn't happen the first time) to get the designator you WANT. Don't settle for less your first time around. The Lieutenant at my recruiting station applied 3 times before he was picked up. Don't get discouraged if you don't get it the first time. Best of luck! :)

exNavyOffRec

And going off of that, you're going to be doing this for a while. Make sure you're in a field that you'll at least enjoy a little bit. It's your life, which means it's yours for the taking! If they say no, you can reapply. The advice I've heard from nearly all of my friends in the military and the vets I know is to try your hardest (and wait it out if it doesn't happen the first time) to get the designator you WANT. Don't settle for less your first time around. The Lieutenant at my recruiting station applied 3 times before he was picked up. Don't get discouraged if you don't get it the first time. Best of luck! :)

I know of several that only applied for the specific designator they wanted only to end up aging out, then saying they wish they would have applied for anything they were eligible for, if your main goal is to be a USN officer then apply for what you can. If your main goal is to do a specific job then you should be looking at all places that you can do that specific job.

The chances of a person being selected after getting a "no" go way down on subsequent boards for the same designator (aviation is the exception with ASTB increase).

banjosquirrel

Come on man !!!

Ahh! I didn't mean to make it seem like I'm wishy washy, but my primary interest is to be a Navy officer, and I want to serve in the way that I am best suited to do. ALL of these areas that I've mentioned sound extremely interesting to me, and I'm currently spending most of my time that I'm not studying learning about the different designations. I AM committed, I'm just still trying to figure out what area I'll be the best fit for. I really enjoy reading this forum, though. Besides being informative you guys are all great.

egiv

My advice would be to apply for what you want, not what you think you may/may not have the best chances of getting. Intel and IW are VERY different from SWO, so if you're not fully committed to being a SWO (or any other designator you list), don't list it at all when you apply.

I won't speculate on how competitive you might be, but I can tell you the type of people currently getting selected IW. A large percentage of fellow IW Junior Officers have masters degrees, although they are rarely technical. I'm not sure why it keeps getting put out that math and science is required for IW - it is surely preferred, and once you become IW you need to get up to speed with a LOT of technical knowledge very quickly, but most of the people who are currently getting selected (in my personal, relatively short, experience) have degrees in Foreign Affairs, History, etc. and usually speak another language (which is almost always useless as an IWO, but it just gives you an idea of the type of person they're looking for).

exNavyOffRec

I'm not sure why it keeps getting put out that math and science is required for IW - it is surely preferred, and once you become IW you need to get up to speed with a LOT of technical knowledge very quickly, but most of the people who are currently getting selected (in my personal, relatively short, experience) have degrees in Foreign Affairs, History, etc. and usually speak another language (which is almost always useless as an IWO, but it just gives you an idea of the type of person they're looking for).

It is because the data coming out on those being selected is that nearly all have a tech degree or are prior enlisted in a tech field and that gets misunderstood at "required" I have met a few IW's that were redesignations at OCS who had to go RL and they had non tech degrees but their choices were limited.

I haven't seen a single IDC selectee that spoke a foreign language (besides one that had parents that immigrated to the US) and my NRD put in many more than our fair share. To be fair they may have spoke a foreign language but it wasn't listed on their application.