• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

brownshoe

Contributor
Skyraider misson 1965, SEA.
from the Wix board.
http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54284
imagejpg17_zps933996a1.jpg

Damn! Worked decks just like this, oh the memories. Ron, you out there? You flew this bomb truck. Story time (hint, hint).

jmcquate

Contributor
I know that Red is the "Ring" marker is for napalm, but all of the napalm containers I've ever seen has been in an aluminum casing, with no fins to get the tumbling effect.

Last edited:

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What are those red things on the inboard pylons, napalm?
They look like ordinary drop tanks, but looking closer at the photos, there's a drop tank on the centerline and in one of the photos in the link, it appears to be dropping napalm.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Spoke this afternoon w/an old USN buddy ...Maintenance Officer w/VA-35 in mid-sixties ...expert on the AD/R-3350 ...never saw red munitions (or whatever) on a Spad! More tomorrow...

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Somewhere on West Pac aboard the USS Vincennes...either 1989 or 1990.

"When do we go to the PI?"

"Can we go to the PI now?"

:D

Last edited:

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Mad Dog, that's a piece of history there. Looks like a BB behind you. You really are old.
I'm NOT OLD! ;)

I'm glad you reminded me about the BB...which is probably why that pic was taken...to get the BB in the background. It's all coming back now...I was an H2P and on my first deployment...we had 6 pilots on DET 13 (HSL-45)...and I DID NOT get to fly to and land on the BB. We drew straws and I drew one of the short straws. The HAC and H2P that DID get to fly to and land on the BB landed on the bow...on a wooden (teak?) deck...with the forward 16" guns staring at them. Of course, they wouldn't shut up about their really cool experience on the BB...but at least I have a pic with the BB in the background.

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Do you remember which BB it was, by any chance?

I always enjoyed going aboard the Missouri, even if it was only for a few minutes for a reenlistment. Kind of bittersweet to be able to touch so much history but also see her just sitting there no longer doing what she did.

Plus it's cool to know a Navy cook rescued her from CDR Krill and William Stranix.

Status
Not open for further replies.