• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO to Pilot before API

UMichfly

pilot
None
I managed to switch from SNFO to SNA a few years back while in A-pool. Long story short, I was commissioned as a pilot with a contact lens waiver, then NPQ'ed two weeks after commissioning because they got rid of the contact lens waiver. I managed to go get PRK done while I was still stashed at my ROTC unit and I was able to pass the visual acuity test with 20/20 and 20/25 at NAMI. I went to the LT who was running flight management at the time and he helped me route a redesignation package. The folks in flight management are the way to go. You just have to be ready to do a lot of the legwork yourself and stick with it.

All that being said, the bottom line always is that needs of the Navy will have the final say so if they're overmanned on pilots or undermanned on NFOs...you may be SOL.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
Just an update:

I got the NAMI Whammy and officially am NFO now. So whatever process this may have required, I will not find out or be able to let you guys know. I might try for the transfer after surgery one day but for now im focusing on kicking ass as a NFO first. Another guy going through the same thing passed at NAMI but decided to stay NFO. He said he was told the process is not easy or clear, but he wasn't too specific.

Good luck to anyone else out there.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Just an update:

I got the NAMI Whammy and officially am NFO now. So whatever process this may have required, I will not find out or be able to let you guys know. I might try for the transfer after surgery one day but for now im focusing on kicking ass as a NFO first. Another guy going through the same thing passed at NAMI but decided to stay NFO. He said he was told the process is not easy or clear, but he wasn't too specific.

Good luck to anyone else out there.

Sorry to hear about the Whammy. Good luck to you in the NFO track I'm sure you will enjoy it!

So to clarify another guy was offered a chance to switch or was it that he just passed the physical so he has a possibility to switch if he wanted too?

JonBob23

None
What NPQ'd you? If it was anything other than eyes or a missing limb you can always fight for the waiver. I went through the same thing but reversed, I had gotten switched from NFO to pilot post OCS but pre API, had a kidney tumor discovered by accident, got it waivered. It took 6 months, but I got it and to my surprise the DOC at NPA nami fought tooth and nail for me.
JD81, How did you initiate the switch from NFO to Pilot? Have you heard of people still being able to do so after OCS and before API? My kit went to the Jun14 board SNA/SNFO, I was picked for SNFO but not SNA. I leave for OCS in Nov and if there is still an opportunity I could get SNA I would like to take advantage of it.

Draples

I just talked to one of the flight management LTs and was informed the only way to make the SNFO to SNA switch is to graduate the top of my API class. There was no mention of making the switch during A-Pool, and I am medically qualified. I do not know why @UMichfly was able to switch several years ago, but it appears things have changed in the interim. Wish I had better news for you @JonBob23.

Draples

I should add that they call SNFOs graduating 1st in API and switching to SNAs purple unicorns; you do not see too many of them (but they do exist!!!).

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It comes and goes. If they're short SNAs when you want to do it, they'll probably take you. If they're not, they won't. Needs of the Navy.

It looks like I am in the exact same situation as afterburner209, I am a current CandiO up here at NS Newport who was redesignated to SNFO from SNA in my second week of training here at OCS. Same sort of deal where I was exhausted, and stressed, and my 20/30 left eye dropped down below the minimum for SNA. I understand that calling student control at Pensacola is probably going to be my first step but I am trying to gather as much gouge about how to go about chasing down a SNA slot before I call in and start asking questions. Is there any way just to request another physical and not neccecarily a waiver? If not, does anyone know if the infamous "Purple Unicorns" usually talk to the command about switching over to SNA even before they finish top of their class down in Pensacola?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Man, that's tough to be a commercial multi pilot and then get a backseat gig. If it were me, I would beg for another physical. If that didn't work, commission as a 1370 and then work with the docs down in Pensacola when you arrive for API. I don't know how long the A-pool wait is right now but you will most likely have some time.

Just some advice...get through OCS. You've got a ticket to Pensacola, make sure you get there. NAMI, the docs, and the physicals that matter are all in Pensacola anyway.

Yeah it was rough to hear that I wasn't "physically qualified" to fly when I have been flying since I was 16. That being said I know Navy flying is a lot more demanding then chugging along in a Cessna. I am going to push for another look when I get down to Pensacola, Fl, like you said that is where NAMI is anyways and there isn't a whole lot I can do from up here in the amount of time I have.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't panic, nothing is fucked, dude. First, understand there's a process in Pensacola for this. Your background, tickets, karma, or just desserts have nothing to do with it...if they need pilots then they're willing to flex a bit. If they don't, then even if you really want it and are otherwise qualified and everyone wants you to have it, they're not going to redes you because they have to have a slot in which to put you.

Second, there will be other opportunities for you to switch over to the pilot side. Yes, there's the "first in your class" thing, but there's a reason that happens so rarely. You'll be in a class with a bunch of other very smart, very motivated, hard-working kids who all want to do well.

So, if you can get over the flight physical hump, give re-des'ing a shot. If it doesn't work out there, then go be the best FO you can and keep in your back pocket the idea of getting an anchorectomy at the end of your first Fleet tour. It's not routine, but it's not uncommon. Again, re-des'ing is a way for the Navy to manage its manning numbers - they may need pilots in your YG by then. Especially given the avalanche of airline hiring everyone but BuPers sees coming in the next few years.

And NB for your own info - when I was an instructor there, ERAU kids did not have a good reputation, not least because often they seemed to feel studying basic flight and systems stuff was beneath them. Saw lots of them (and USNA kids) at PRBs. Don't be that "Riddle Kid". Your job is not to show them how much you know, it's to show that you can learn what they want you to know - because flight-side, no one will give a shit how you did it when you flew privately.

Third, given your background, you've had no exposure to NFOs or what they do. At least go be around some and talk to them before you scrabble desperately to get out of it. It's all flying and it's all good. NFOs aren't glorified helper monkeys or (no offense to NACs) just "officer aircrewmen," as I heard a helo guy describe them. I knew guys in flight school who were in similar spots to you - NAMI-whammied and "I'm going to re-des after my Fleet tour because I've got private time and I want to be a pilot". Years later I bumped into them in the Fleet and they're still sporting two anchors and perfectly happy.

Thanks for the advice Uncle Fester. Unfortunatly, I am all too familar with the "Riddle" reputation, and I will try to avoid acting like the sterotypical Riddle know-it-all... I just want to give SNA a shot before I start training for SNFO, and get caught up in the pipeline. If not, your right I am still flying in the Navy, which is way better than what I would be doing as a civilian right now. Also, I did not mean to put down NFO's or sound ungrateful to be where I am at all, just looking at my options to get my SNA slot back before I move forward as a SNFO.

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for the advice Uncle Fester. Unfortunatly, I am all too familar with the "Riddle" reputation, and I will try to avoid acting like the sterotypical Riddle know-it-all... I just want to give SNA a shot before I start training for SNFO, and get caught up in the pipeline. If not, your right I am still flying in the Navy, which is way better than what I would be doing as a civilian right now. Also, I did not mean to put down NFO's or sound ungrateful to be where I am at all, just looking at my options to get my SNA slot back before I move forward as a SNFO.

One of my guys at OCS lost SNA due to vision, the staff was very blunt, told him he better get used to the idea of being an NFO and if he didn't like it he should DOR, he then DOR'd.